Going snowboarding in Japan? Prepare to be fingerprinted...

it makes the world a lot easier to know and hence easier for you and safer for YOU. You are a known entity as opposed to an unknown. YOU walk freely in and out of YOUR holiday/business/home visit destination because you are known.

Is it that difficult?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To choose to check only certain people and not others does not make anyone safer. Has the murder rate in America gone down? Has the illegal immigration stopped in America? Has Auz, Canada etc etc etc stopped refugees from getting in and thus sneaking past this checking stuff? the answer is a simple no. Everything is based on terrorism, its to stop the terrorists, thats it, yep thats the reason.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose"

I've lost my family, my home and my career. My pension has gone too. I'm going to have to work until I die. There are more important things to stress about than those you can't change.

Life here in the bonchi is good.

Ok,

This ties in exactly with the start of the whaling season.

Coincidence?.

I am gonna wear a "Free Willy" shirt on my flight, sandpaper my fingerprints down and glue on strips of binary code to them, get a REALLY dark suntan, grow a dirty Sanchez moustache, wear colored contact lenses, and speak in spanish. i'll also allow 24 hours extra whilst they reboot the system 5 times, question me, and ring up my embassy.

Ok, maybe I will just live with the fact that you have to do it.

Oh, and I don't want to be known. If I did want my personals collected, i would join up for that stupid Big Brother relaity crap show.

Soubs, life is arse, but as you have found, there's more to life than worrying about crap. I am glad you are in a happy place now mate ....

If anything I reckon it'll get worse - no doubt they brought in extra staff during the introductory period. The gaijin line took an hour without the fingerprinting. I dont know if the system checks your print against previous prints, but that would probably make things ten times worse, and we wouldnt know about it for a while. Anyway, at least all of Japans xenophobic morons will be happy! We can think about those that subscribe to the views published in "Gaijin Hanzai Fairu", while we wait in line, and, of course, we mustn't forget to smile for the camera!

I don't get this resentment. I have am a known entity in the 1.3 billion people that I hang around. It makes us safe in that we can't be what we pretend to be when crossing borders.

Get used to it. A quarter of the world's population is already known.

When did citizens of nations become sheep who need a wolf to protect the flock?

How can governments talk about oblique ideas of safety when policies of market expansion and liberalization have stripped from millions of farmers, workers, and business owners across the world any semblance of social and financial security?

What kind of safety can the government possibly offer by holding onto my fingerprints and biometrics that it can't offer through the information it has already? Identifying my corpse if I die in an avalanche? Is that for my safety, or so my family/friends can pay for the costs?

this is totally beyond your dream of democary and freedom. This is in the interest of keeping tabs on who is coming and going in a sovereign country.

Read the UK, it is foaming at the mouth to get an identity card introduced.

The Japanese police and government can't even catch the KNOWN KILLER of the british girl here this year, even though they have photo's and data as to where he lived, worked, etc. How they expect to be able to catch and barr from entering the country a "professional" terrorist from a fingerprint and photo that takes days to process is beyind me?!?! It isn't a tool to help spot terrorists in the slightest, just a great way to racially profile Japan. We may as well just wear yellow stars on arm bands form now on!!

My point is aimed at legal residents of Japan not tourists.

WTF do whales have to do with this? Whaling is barbaric and totally unnecessary. Shooting kangaroos is barbaric and unnecessary.

One is a cultural tradition, and the other a demonstration of evil.

I have no problems with the system. I don't want to spend 1 1/2 hours proving I'm not a kangaroo shooter

Yea, thursday, you're exactly right, but you don't think that the many foreigners, especially Brazillians, Chinese and Koreans, who are residents of Japan deserve the same privacy rights as native Japanese citizens? What about foreigners who have married Japanese? Are citizens or residents of a 'sovereign country' supposed to forfeit every right to the whim of the country? Is Pakistan within its rights suspending the constitution because it is in the interest of preserving the rule of a specific president in a 'sovereign country'?

How the Japanese government can justify this for visitors and temporary residents I understand, or at least have to stomach, as my country of registration also fingerprints temporary residents. But how the government can justify fingerprinting residents whose only difference with 'Japanese' is their passport or country of birth, seems impossible without resorting ultimately to some form of racism of prejudice.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I don't get this resentment.

You live here for 10 years, you pay ya taxes, you are married to a farking Japanese national and have produced kids that are farking Japanese and have Japanese passports then you come home from your lovely holiday and they say hey daddy piass off and go line up over there and your wife can wait for you on the other side for a hour or so with the young kids, because we don't give a shit about you.
What do our kids think? why does he have to go over there.. So much for the family unit.

This year I'll be coming back with students that I'm taking to OZ, when they ask why I'm lining up somewhere else, I'll tell em that Japan just doesn't give a fat ratsass about us Gaijin.

I still thing that the Japanese society is far more tolerant towards foreigners than any other “western” country in the world. Reasons:

a) we have the same medical care as any Japanese national

B) we are eligible for the national pension if we stay permanently in Japan

c) we are not called “nigers” “latinos” “wongs” etc etc (the list is endless you know them)

d) we are not in danger of being victims of a racist crime outside our door

e) we don’t live in ghettos

and although we bitch a lot we are not being told “if you don’t like Japan go back from were you came you [ insert name from c) ]”.

Ethnic Koreans and Chinese in Japan get treated like Japanese. They are the "special case people". They can chose to go home, but chose to stay here (why?) and complain about racism instead.

Special case people get better treatment and have more options than other foreigners in Japan but still choose to live in the past.

Oh Soubs you need a history lesson as to why those people here. One, they were forced to live here to work in the Japanese factories. Going home means going into poverty and shame. You disrespect them but not knowing that there isnt much choice in going home.

The encouraged Japanization of the world program now sees the grand kids and great grand kids coming back. These people were left high and dry by the Japanese government and are now the lowest form of Japanese. They work in the factories and do all the jobs normal Japanese wont do for themselves. Soubs please read a history book before you post something like that it isnt fair to them.

More resources should go into domestic protection that is what is lacking.

Originally Posted By: Kingofmyrrh
That japantimes article is unbelievable...

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20071120a1.html

And if you check the link now, they have added a new note at the bottom stating that the letter from the official is completely made up... I never had much respect for the Japan Times in the first place, but this is just stoopid...
 Originally Posted By: Fattwins
They work in the factories and do all the jobs normal Japanese wont do for themselves.

That's the case in most in most civilized nations.

I'm going to leave this topic alone till I get my first hand experience with it in January. Then I'll have a gripe ;\)

And if you check the link now, they have added a new note at the bottom stating that the letter from the official is completely made up... I never had much respect for the Japan Times in the first place, but this is just stoopid...

Japan times is pretty yellow, me dont read that crap.
 Originally Posted By: Indo

You live here for 10 years, you pay ya taxes, you are married to a farking Japanese national and have produced kids that are farking Japanese and have Japanese passports then you come home from your lovely holiday and they say hey daddy piass off and go line up over there and your wife can wait for you on the other side for a hour or so with the young kids, because we don't give a shit about you.
What do our kids think? why does he have to go over there.. So much for the family unit.

This year I'll be coming back with students that I'm taking to OZ, when they ask why I'm lining up somewhere else, I'll tell em that Japan just doesn't give a fat ratsass about us Gaijin.

Did I miss something Indo?? Can we no longer, eventhough we have permanant rez or visas, line up with the Japanese nationals at airports after coming back to J-land? That'd suck...
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
 Originally Posted By: Indo

Did I miss something Indo?? Can we no longer, eventhough we have permanant rez or visas, line up with the Japanese nationals at airports after coming back to J-land? That'd suck...

Yes, you did miss something. That's one of the main reasons resident foreigners are pissed. If we've been vetted to live or work in Japan, why should we be treated like "unknowns"?

Like FT said, it's probably best to deal with it becuase the law isn't going to change.
 Originally Posted By: tsondaboy

Japan times is pretty yellow, me dont read that crap.

Yes, and the JT fired their sports editor in a spineless manner before the football world cup. Shameless, crap writing, and 180 yen.