Hi all,

Finally have become a member...

So I am planing to go to Hakuba in Jan and Feb, and I am wanting to buy my gear over there, I have never been over to Japan, will be flying in to Tokyo, and then up to Hakuba.

So the question is where do peps rec that I should get my gear, Tokyo, or wait to Hakuba, for $$ savings??

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya mdmn,

When will you be in Hakuba?

I arrive up there early Feb mate. I am in same boat, never been to JP.

I bought all my gear already & am takign it with me.

I figured it's fairly cheap.

You may be able to get some bargains from the US @ the moment because of their wavering economy, or, i woiuld suggest hit some of the melkbourne shops who are gonna have chrissy/ex-season sales. Also, check ebay, there's been tonnes of stuff there.

Having said that, I have noticed that many ppl on this website have bought boards really cheap from japan.

Anyhow, welcome to teh website, make sure you post up , the ppl here are awesome...

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Hiya mdmn,

When will you be in Hakuba?
I arrive up there early Feb mate. I am in same boat, never been to JP.

I bought all my gear already & am takign it with me.
I figured it's fairly cheap.

You may be able to get some bargains from the US @ the moment because of their wavering economy, or, i woiuld suggest hit some of the melkbourne shops who are gonna have chrissy/ex-season sales. Also, check ebay, there's been tonnes of stuff there.

Having said that, I have noticed that many ppl on this website have bought boards really cheap from japan.

Anyhow, welcome to teh website, make sure you post up , the ppl here are awesome...

I will be there Mid Jan till Mid Feb
 Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
You'll have much more choice - and thus bargaining power - if you go to Jimbocho in Tokyo and have an afternoon zipping between shops.

boardbaka - what about my 'baka'?

thanks for that one, googled Jimbocho and seems there are heaps of shops there..
 Originally Posted By: mdmn
The question about the size, I ride a 163, will there be any issues getting a range of choice in that size in the Jimbocho area?

Last night I saw a K2 163 selling in a big-box store in Osaka for about 85,000 yen. Decent bindings were going for over 20,000 yen.

A lot of people have told me how cheap Japan is for gear... and it is... depending on what you want. A lot of the cheaper brands like THM will only sell boards under 160 cm. They have cheap deals on packages but not in longer boards.

I assume that there will be greater choice in Tokyo with more taller foreigners around, but I'm just guessing.
 Originally Posted By: thursday
I got my K2 Outlaws with Bindings for 67K in Tokyo.

Yeah, but when and in what circumstances. Maybe for skis, it's not an issue. It's the same deal for bike frames (having bought about four MTBs and road bikes here).

67000 yen or 6700 yen 67000 for those skis isn't a bargain. 6700 is though. a 160 plus board in Japan is different Thursday. You are into special powder boards for the smaller J-riders then. Thus there really isnt a ton of stock and the prices stay higher. Certain products don't get the Tokyo discounts.

in an area that had ski shops up and down all along the street and looking for those skis and pricing them.

Now, if I was a super shopper and got them for 6,700, then I would've donated the difference to the god of beer.

Fatts, please tell me you can get K2 Outlaws for 6,700 and I will get beers your way

Originally Posted By: thursday
in an area that had ski shops up and down all along the street and looking for those skis and pricing them.

So are you saying that if he rocks into Tokyo he'll get a good deal on setting himself with a 163 s/b, bindings, etc? Must be pretty easy. From my experience, he wouldn't be able to do so in Osaka.