1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Since the take over by CitiCorp (I think it was CitiCorp, it could be another, not 100% sure), the Prince Higashiyama Hotel and Resort is now run by Niseko Higashiyama Resort.co.,Ltd

Looking at the brand new website, it is a million fold imoprovement on the old site. Much more international, much more detail presented in a professional way.

Now, the website is one thing, but the hotel still looks the same. I wonder what the service will be like now. I stayed there once when under Prince ownership and I had the overwhelming desire to leave. It was run down, ultra un-modern and trapped you in the expensive hotel restaurants. Hopefully this has all changed.

Check out the site here if desired Higashiyama site

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
Now, the website is one thing, but the hotel still looks the same. I wonder what the service will be like now. I stayed there once when under Prince ownership and I had the overwhelming desire to leave. It was run down, ultra un-modern and trapped you in the expensive hotel restaurants. Hopefully this has all changed.

Yep. The only humane thing to do is put it out of its misery.

Im not big on flash at all.

That said citibank might not do anything right away they have just lost 10 billion on paper. Ive talked about this with Stuncok and the loss is on paper, and really wont be truely known for a few years.

Anything they have done to this point wouldve been already aproved. That said I could see them trying to push more terrain. if it was me I would push skiers right of the mountain where you get more runs.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I stayed there once when under Prince ownership and I had the overwhelming desire to leave. It was run down, ultra un-modern and trapped you in the expensive hotel restaurants. Hopefully this has all changed.

I stayed there again last summer while on the second day of my hiking trip. Were you in the "old wing" or the newer "White Tower" ?

I was in the tower and it was plenty new, well-kept, and modern. wakaranai.gif

They do "trap" you in the hotel restaurants by nature of the fact that there is no nearby "village" experience, but there is a fairly inexpensive, fully-stocked conbini in the lobby. When I booked my room, I got breakfast and dinner included for not much more than the room alone, so I didn't feel the pain of a >y7000 course meal.

I was in the tower and it was Feb 06.

Breakfast was in the vast hall with 2 coffee machines for 2000 people. Imagine the queue just to get a coffee. The onsen was full to the brim with giajin in shorts.

But now under new management and hopefully some renovation, I wouldn't mind giving it another shot.

Weird.

I was there in August '06. Other than me, not another gaijin in sight. It's fun playing with the koi when you're sitting in the rotenburo.

My room in the second-from-the-top floor was spotless.

I really don't remember much from breakfast, but since it isn't as crowded in Autumn, I think it was just in one of the regular restaurant spaces.

Sounds like it is mad in winter...

While opening new terrain in Higashiyama (read the Forbidden Zone) would be great, that's not and shouldn't be their priority.

The priority for the demographic that they're trying to target should be:

a dedicated beginner area

legitimate beginner and intermediate terrain

better ski school (they've addressed this)

The Higashiyama runs are narrow. With school kids crowding the place, the slopes there are not pleasant. A lot of work needed to widen the intermediate terrain, agreed.

I'd alos like to see more restaurants, an alternative to the Japanese ones, however good they are, a choice would be nice.

A convenience store (some chance being around the hotel peddling at their own prices.)

A shuttle to Hirafu every 30mins which runs until at least 11pm.

No swimming trunks policy enforced in the onsen.

I will try and answer some of the questions posted above:

The HP will be improved as we go and the HTML pages should be updated soon. This should make it easier to use.

We are presently building a new café bar which will face the Niseko Gondola (formerly the Prince Gondola) You can see some photos of this on the Blog on the HP. This has a pool table, internet, darts, seating for about 60 and a lot of standing drinking area, a large movie screen. We will have live music in here as well as some events such as the weekly Patrol night where they will explain dynamite use and other such things.

We are also building a mini Village Street between the gondola and the tower hotel. This will be completed by Dec 1.

We are certainly looking at improving terrain and skiing options. Mizuno is not our only avenue and our plan is to improve all skier's and guest's experience on the ski area.

There are now 34 All Mountain Free Passport buses each day up from 19 last season. These still finish at 9 so we will also put on extra bus services between here and Hirafu running until 12:15 at night.

New Ski School and Kids Programs including 2 magic carpets, 39m and 51m long.

Night Owls which is a Kids Night program which lets parents go and drink or have a quiet night and the kids to run and play. Bunch of new activities at the resort including cooking school, full-on snow mobile program, CAT SKIING for first tracks every morning and such.

The food has been improved and yes, we have bought more coffee machines for the breakfast buffet. We will also be serving real coffee and cappuccinos and lattes and such at both the new Après Café & Bar and also at the new Village Street which will have a small café with take away clam chowder, coffee and cookies.

We will also build a terrain park this season.