The top of Happo is a bit higher than 47. Happo has better moguls if you like that sort of thing. 47 has a Snow Park which Happo does not. 47 is linked to Goryu which you can ski to on the same lift pass. I like the choice of restaurants at 47/Goryu a bit more than those at Happo but this is just a minor point and Happo has plenty of nice places to eat too. The ski patrol at 47 are famous for being Nazis. I think you should do a couple of weeks at each and even try out nearby resorts like Cortina, Tsugaike, Iwatake and Sun Alpina.

Ger, you can count me out of that poll. It's impossible for me to decide between the two. When I'm in Hakuba, even when I plan to do a few days at each, it is really hard for me to decide which one I will go to on which day.

Happo - if you are skiing, particularly. Vert, wide open spaces - especially the Skyline - the feeling of a truly big mountain that Goryu/47 doesn't have.

If you are a boarder and want a park, then 47...

But don't forget the other places, too - if the snow's good Sun Alpina and its connecting ski jos (at Aokiko) are low priced, often virtually empty, and great fun

Originally Posted By: Markie
Ger, you can count me out of that poll. It's impossible for me to decide between the two. When I'm in Hakuba, even when I plan to do a few days at each, it is really hard for me to decide which one I will go to on which day.

Fair enough.
I was going to make a whole slew of poles like: "Happo or 47 for park?", "Happo or 47 for curry and rice?" and "Happo or 47 for access to hospitals in case of early delivery".... But I think the beauty of the pole lies in its simplicity.

Actually the stories about 47's crazy ski patrol and backward policies are enough to turn me off. Don't take my word for it though. I've never skied 47.

Thanks. Japan is not Europe with it's joint lift passes. The lift companies can't work together in Hakuba. The Happy Valley Pass is not worth the money. Happo one pass @ Y70000 is good value l think.

Gonna go to Shiga-kogen as well.

We can now say that Happo is preferred to 47 with a greater than 95% confidence level, though I'm concerned that unrelated variables, like Echineko's endorsement might have influenced some decisions.

47 season pass is a 47 + goryu pass right? its not a bad deal as its quite cheaper then the happo one isnt it. if ur lucky you might be able to find someone with another resorts season pass and trade for a day or two. if ur staying at the same place for a month ur chances are pretty good.

Originally Posted By: static
47 season pass is a 47 + goryu pass right? its not a bad deal as its quite cheaper then the happo one isnt it. if ur lucky you might be able to find someone with another resorts season pass and trade for a day or two. if ur staying at the same place for a month ur chances are pretty good.

true, but 47/goryu patrol will pull your pass faster than you can blink - your seasn pass will be gone. If you only want groomers then ride 47/Goryu, but if you wanna duck ropes and dive in the powder be prepared...you'll have patrol screaming at you using rude language, throwing things and banging fists on desks, and threaten your employers when they have fack all authority. Theyre a bunch of fockers. Happo is definitely more laid back on every level...
 Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
 Originally Posted By: static

true, but 47/goryu patrol will pull your pass faster than you can blink - your seasn pass will be gone. If you only want groomers then ride 47/Goryu, but if you wanna duck ropes and dive in the powder be prepared...you'll have patrol screaming at you using rude language, throwing things and banging fists on desks, and threaten your employers when they have fack all authority. Theyre a bunch of fockers. Happo is definitely more laid back on every level...

surely that has changed since that report went up.