OK. 20 years ago. Things that if someone told you would happen you would have laughed in their faces. I'll start:

I'd be living in Japan.

You could fly anywhere in Europe for a few pounds.

Buying bottled water

You could carry your complete music collection on a device thinner than a pack of cards.

All the social kissing that is now the norm.

Bob Dylan would make another decent album.

that you can talk to people halfway across the world for free on skype

Quote:
Buying bottled water

too true. instead of buying the stuff, we should spend the money on stamps harassing the government as to why tap water tastes like shite

Originally Posted By: snowbender
OK. 20 years ago. Things that if someone told you would happen you would have laughed in their faces. I'll start:
Buying bottled water
You could carry your complete music collection on a device thinner than a pack of cards.
All the social kissing that is now the norm.

people have been buying Evian for as long as I can remember. Music? I could have believed that.
Kissing? do you mean PDA's? where did you grow up? in Talibanistan?

How about we would all pretty much be driving regular petrol driven cars, that aside from the outside packaging are pretty much unchanged.

Solar and Wind power are still jokes.

The Concorde has retired with no replacement.

China has been given an Olympic Games to host.

The All Blacks havent won another World Cup.

Some tosser would get paid $250million to play soccer in the USA.

You would pay $250,000 for a mid range house in my home town.

Sly Stallone would wheel out Rocky and John Rambo for a another round.

I would be excited to read a childrens novel.... :-)

the list goes on and on.

Brits didn't used to go round double cheek kissing family, distant relatives, friends and friends of friends. There's a lot of it going on now.

That's what I presume snowbender is talking about and I agree.

Quote:
Some tosser would get paid $250million to play soccer in the USA.

I wouldn't believe that even now... it's the still ridiculous sum of $25m.
 Originally Posted By: brit-gob
Brits didn't used to go round double cheek kissing family, distant relatives, friends and friends of friends. There's a lot of it going on now.

That's what I presume snowbender is talking about and I agree.

they are?? ****, hope my family haven't started doing that shite!! I've always gave a peck on the cheek though to my close relatives when I've seen them....just not on both cheeks! \:\)

Surprised:

- that the compact disc is still going strong.

- cinemas are still around given the amount of piracy

- yanks not learning from Vietnam

- people still believe that man landed on the moon and not since given that technology has leapt quanta

why don't they go to the moon anymore - is it "been there, done that", now lets spend some money on other space research?

not that i pay much attention to NASA, but it seems like all their space activity has come along in leaps and bounds - with photos from the far ends of our galaxy and robots on mars

i'm suprised cinema's are still around. i think in 10 years there won't be as many left. and not as many music stores either

Originally Posted By: spook
why don't they go to the moon anymore - is it "been there, done that", now lets spend some money on other space research?
not that i pay much attention to NASA, but it seems like all their space activity has come along in leaps and bounds - with photos from the far ends of our galaxy and robots on mars

We don't need to go into space. Machines can do the work far cheaper and more efficiently than people. Sending people into space is fantasy madness.

It was real, for sure. Then the computing/electronic technology amounted to the average pocket calculator. Now the electronics can do far better than people.

Until we get the space elevator, sending people up is Boys-Own stuff.

you know... Buzz Aldrin (SP?) has been preaching forever that the reason we don't go to the moon is because of all the lights. According to America's most famous astronaut, you can't land on the moon, and video tape it, without lights pointing at you! America's most famous astronaut has destroyed his own career by taking the initiative (for like- 30 years) to preach the existence of extra-terrestial life... inhabiting our own moon. Haven't you guys heard? Is this old news to you? It should be.

Guys, look up... surely you have seen something in the sky you can't explain. I have... and it fricking blew me away.

I've met dozens of people who have never even seen a satelite. (can you believe that?) The majority of people just plain don't look up. And even more people have never seen anything that made them say; "WTF is that?"

I still can't explain it.

Questions...

1- Have you ever seen a satelite? Or... counted them in one sitting? (You can by the way. If you ever pay attention, you should be able to count at least 3 or 4 in one one-hour sitting.)

2- Have you ever seen something that just doesn't fit your rationale?

Am I the only crazy person who has seen something that... just... shouldn't work?

3- Do you ever just watch the stars? For fun? Or romance? Shit's moving around up there. And if you spend any time on your patio, instead of your couch, you may catch a glimpse of something that just... plain... shouldn't work.

but... most people don't look up. And, it's okay if you're one of them. Again, most have no reason in life to challenge what they know exists.

Yes I've seen satellites.

If you want to see stars, planets and meteorites the place to be is Australia. The time is winter. What you want to do is to swag in the desert. Lie back in your sleeping bag, booze of choice at hand, and watch the light show.

No light pollution, no humidity and the best view of the Milky Way.

Souby - I'll second that.

Spent many a bissful hour sky-gazing out bush with preferred intoxicant and chosen company.

I've seen aliens, gold raining down, UFO's (near Alice Springs USA big secret tracking station), and things that grown men shouldn't even talk about.

The Oz outback & a night sky.

Damn mother of a Close Encounter.

Originally Posted By: samurai
you know... Buzz Aldrin (SP?) has been preaching forever that the reason we don't go to the moon is because of all the lights. According to America's most famous astronaut, you can't land on the moon, and video tape it, without lights pointing at you! America's most famous astronaut has destroyed his own career by taking the initiative (for like- 30 years) to preach the existence of extra-terrestial life... inhabiting our own moon. Haven't you guys heard? Is this old news to you? It should be.

Guys, look up... surely you have seen something in the sky you can't explain. I have... and it fricking blew me away.

I've met dozens of people who have never even seen a satelite. (can you believe that?) The majority of people just plain don't look up. And even more people have never seen anything that made them say; "WTF is that?"

I still can't explain it.

Questions...

1- Have you ever seen a satelite? Or... counted them in one sitting? (You can by the way. If you ever pay attention, you should be able to count at least 3 or 4 in one one-hour sitting.)

2- Have you ever seen something that just doesn't fit your rationale?
Am I the only crazy person who has seen something that... just... shouldn't work?

3- Do you ever just watch the stars? For fun? Or romance? Shit's moving around up there. And if you spend any time on your patio, instead of your couch, you may catch a glimpse of something that just... plain... shouldn't work.

but... most people don't look up. And, it's okay if you're one of them. Again, most have no reason in life to challenge what they know exists.

I have looked up and I have seen stuff movin around up there. The probably in Tokyo is light pollution - can't see anything here. But when I go to the sierras in Cali, MAN it's gorgeous. But I don't think that is why we don't go to the moon. There is little reason to send delicate people, I'm with Soubs - send robots, send max headroom, send the terminator, but we don't need to send people anymore - it's silly.
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Yes I've seen satellites.

If you want to see stars, planets and meteorites the place to be is Australia. The time is winter. What you want to do is to swag in the desert. Lie back in your sleeping bag, booze of choice at hand, and watch the light show.

No light pollution, no humidity and the best view of the Milky Way.

Thats a 3rd from me. Aus in winter time has an awesome sky!! I have never seen stars like that, even in the Scottish Highlands. I saw, what looked like a star falling down in a straight line towards the horizon, but it was a satellite in orbit (I reckon.... shifty.gif)
But it did make me jump and think WTF was that??
 Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot

I have looked up and I have seen stuff movin around up there. The probably in Tokyo is light pollution - can't see anything here. But when I go to the sierras in Cali, MAN it's gorgeous. But I don't think that is why we don't go to the moon. There is little reason to send delicate people, I'm with Soubs - send robots, send max headroom, send the terminator, but we don't need to send people anymore - it's silly.

It is silly. I just wanted to rant.

On second hand, I wouldn't go. Dude, i don't want to see an alien, or even their ship. That can't be good.