I am going in Feburary 08

I am going with about 4-6 friends

I am intermediate (kinda advanced) did a season in Whistler, so I can stand up.. ;\)

I want a varied location - steep hills to parks to deep powder

I want to be there for 10 days snowboarding (or there abouts)

I have been looking into Shiga Kogen - what do think? I hear the "night life" is a bit suspect..

Any thoughts?

There is no nightlife in Shiga Kogen.

But it is a good place to be.

Some areas don't allow snowboarding (Okushiga / Kumanoyu / Yokoteyama) but it still leaves an impressively large area.

(Not sure about parks there)

If you are looking for nightlife other than a soak in the bath, you do not want to be going to Shiga Kogen. I think almost everyone will agree with that. But as @tokyo said it is a lovely area.

I dont really 'need' a night life, but I dont want to just go home after snowboarding every day and eat > goto bed.

I just wanna hit a bar or a pub after it and have a few beers then back home to crash, no night clubbing or crazy stuff like that.. I am too old! \:\)

There are a few places to drink in Shiga Kogen - but it is limited.

Probably the liveliest area is the Ichinose area where there is a concentration of accommodation. That might be your best bet.

I know that.

The Shinkansen goes to Nagano Station.

From there you get a bus (1 hour or so) or the local train to Togari and then get a short bus ride to Nozawa.

da-daaaa

Shiga Kogen is usually great for snow but as the others said nightlife of the packed bar variety is almost impossible to find. The Back Bowl Cafe at Ichinose (ground floor of Villa Ichinose - run by a telemarker crew) is probably your best bet there. They do a great fondue, but it is more the place for a quiet few drinks and watching some vids than for dancing on the bar.

If that floats your boat, fine. I never found Nozawa to be much livelier, to be honest, though it is a proper village rather than just a collection of hotels like Shiga. If you really want proper apres-ski nightlife, try Hakuba, Yuzawa or Niseko.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing about Shiga Kogen is the lack of restaurants outside of the hotels - there are only very few. The hotels want you to eat there.

Good Thread,

I am a total n00b to this site, and am trying to find a good place to ski. I am also going in February, but only for 7 days. =(

I am prob same as Inverted, I haven't boarded for 7 years, but it's just like riding a bike, the first time you break something, it hurts.. Oh hang on, wrong saying....

I have the chance to sandboard & ski etc to get back into it....

Anyhow, I just want to find nice snow, lots of difficult tracks.

I heard Nozawa Onsen is quite nice?

Oh, and I'm going by myself. i don't speak Japanese, nor read, so is it best to join a tourgroup?

Any replies are really appreciated.....

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Good Thread,

Oh, and I'm going by myself. i don't speak Japanese, nor read, so is it best to join a tourgroup?

Any replies are really appreciated.....

I think you would enjoy yourself more if you were with a group of westerners. It could get pretty lonely staying in a Japanese hotel by yourself for a week with the possibility of not conversing with anyone.

Cheers for the reply's.

Looks like "Hakuba" may be the place I am going now.

I will smile =), also, just contacted an australian company who runs tours. Either that, or I may have to invest in one of those funny "Currently seeking Japanese Girlfirend" t-shirts, and add "Please Help a n00b" on the bottom.

it is a while away, so starting to prepare now.

if you go to hakuba, stay at one of the hostel type places listed on the accomodation section of this site. You should find plenty of people to ride and hang out with

Will Do mate, thanks smile.gif

Will definately go to a hostel type, a lot more friendly, social & interactive.

Am actually going almost same time as "inverted", so i am sure I will find some English speaking ppl to have fun with.

BTW< Sorry "Inverted", I slightly hijacked your thread

Thanks again...!