new ward tax 4x the usual amount!!!

Next week when I find some time. I hear those offices are full of people now anyway with the pension fiasco and everyone getting these bills at the same time.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine hasn't paid his for around 5 years. He recently changed jobs and they automatically started paying it, which then alerted the ward to the fact he hadn't paid for so long. They atarted calling his office and is now left with 80万円 bill to pay. After some negotiations he is now paying off 3万 a month plus his usual!!

This is all very distressing.

What really riles me is the way there is no real explanation at all, and a very complicated sheet with some calculation shown the numbers of which mean little to me (they sure aren't my salary numbers). I must go to the office and demand a clear explanation.

Mine came yesterday as well. And yes, it is about double what it was last year. That's a fair chunk of cash I wasn't expecting to pay. I bet the town offices are jam packed with people wanting answers right now. I'll wait a bit and go.

And this "other taxes going down" sounds like a lot of bull to me. Mine sure haven't. Health seems to have gone up a bit, and my income tax that is being decucted from my salary is pretty much the same as it has been the last few years.

I'm all abit hazy but the other things going down might have something to do with the pension, so the way I understand it, if you don't pay the pension then you probably will get stung for more! Ouch, thanks god it doesn't affect me laugh.gif

OK, I have the official notice in front of me which was attached to my last pay slip in May.

Income tax has been changed from 10 - 37% (over 4 rankings), to 5 - 40% (based on 6 rankings)

Ward tax has been changed from 5 - 10% (based on 3 rankings) to a standard 10%

They are shifting the taxes from federal to prefecture based in an effort to get more tax yen out to the prefectures. The changes should in theory cancel each other out. The example they give is a married couple with 2 kids (husbands wage), and it goes like this:

OLD SYSTEM

Wage Income tax Ward tax total

300 man 0 9000 9000

500 man 119000 76000 195000

700 man 263000 196000 459000

etc.

NEW SYSTEM

300 man 0 9000 9000

500 man 59500 135500 195000

700 man 165500 293500 459000

etc.

So if you look at the total column, you'll see there is no change. They do state that there may be variations in each case, and you may end up with slightly more, but in general it should stay the same.

If you reckon you really are getting shafted then go and talk to them about it.

I had heard the same kind of thing as bushpig (as I wrote earlier) but today I had the chance to look over some documents about this prepared by a tax consultancy (which i obviously can't post here). Strangely, despite having worked in a tax-related field myself previously, I find the information almost impossible to decipher, but as far as I can tell, unless you live practically below the bread line, you are going to get screwed over. Great.

Really? Those figures given above don't support that. But perhaps that's just their spin to disarm the masses. I'm pretty sure our school told us we wouldn't be affected much at all. And we are substantially above the bread line...

I must admit I'm totally confused TBH. I thought that things were as your figures said. But then my payslip doesn't appear to bear this out (I guess next week's will be the real test). And I wouldn't expect the source I got the info I just posted to be wrong either. But I really hope he is...

Originally Posted By: Bushpig

They are shifting the taxes from federal to prefecture based in an effort to get more tax yen out to the prefectures. The changes should in theory cancel each other out. The example they give is a married couple with 2 kids (husbands wage), and it goes like this:

OLD SYSTEM

300 man 0 9000 9000
500 man 119000 76000 195000
700 man 263000 196000 459000
etc.

NEW SYSTEM

300 man 0 9000 9000
500 man 59500 135500 195000
700 man 165500 293500 459000
etc.

That's what it may say, but I don't believe that a bloke on a declared 5 mill pays only gets taken for 195,000 total income and local tax. That's 15,000 a month or only 4% of gross income! You get allowances for dependents, but they're not that big. I doubt someone on three million gets away with 9000 yen a year either.

OK, well I have been paying on average about 2.8 ~ 3 man a month on income and ward tax over the last year. That is certainly not 4% of my py anyway! My school automatically takes out the ward tax in bits and pieces and pays it for me. I'll get my pay slip tomorrow and tell you if anything has changed.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
lol.gif Yeah I agree SW. Just makes me mad! mad.gif ;\)

Wish I was earing the kinda money that the Hong Kongers are making like Thursday and RagDoll - prolly earn my yearly salary in a month eek.gif

SJA, he doesnt count anymore since hes officially kicked outta Japan

Markie, well he's just a criminal who robs banks for a living as does Stuntcok

lol.gif

CB, thanks....if its any concilation, I paid 7M in taxes last year and an additional $20k to the US. It is a painful experience to write a check that big to the US government when you are using absolutely zero services! But hey, at least my tax bill this year is only going to be half that because i'm going to be unemployed - yippeee.....

ok, so I found out last night that the income tax actually dropped from January this year, and the ward tax is kicking in from June. So if you want to do a fair comparison you need to compare the total difference of the two between last December and Now (June). I just got my payslip, and my ward tax has jumped significantly, but my income tax had also dropped quite a bit from what it had been up to last December. Overall, I am paying about 6000 yen more under the new system. Not a huge difference by any means, especially considering my wage.

One thing to bear in mind too, is that any of you who make a large part of your money off private lessons (under the tax radar) won't have been paying income tax anyway, so won't see the reduction. You will, however, still cop the ward tax increase. Too bad that loop hole is getting closed up somewhat.