new ward tax 4x the usual amount!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings, long time lurker and first-time poster here. This is a situation I have some

experience with, so here's the short story. If you are an American then you will have to

file tax returns regardless of whether you are in the US or overseas. However, we get a

break since we can claim the Foreign Earned Income Tax Exclusion. For 2006 it was

$82,400, in 2007 it was $82,400.

The downside is that if you have no taxable compensation leftover as a result,

then you cannot contribute to an US IRA (technically you can have one, but can't

contribute any more to it that tax-year). I believe the max possible is $4000-$5000,

so this is something to think about.

But, if you are investing in the US market (stocks, funds, etc), you probably won't

be able to claim it under the FEITA. Technically you are also supposed to

report it to the J government, so you get double-taxed there. Not sure how it

works if you are holding Japanese stocks.

Whether you want to pay into Social Security or the Japanese pension system is

another thing to think about. US SS needs a minimum of 10 years to start receiving

benefits, but the J-system is around 25 years I think.

If you are making a good income, have a complex tax set-up or plan to be here

a long time, I would recommend consulting with an accountant to help get things sorted out.

CB,

you still have to file regardless, but if you make less than 80k, you shouldn't have to pay much. I got raped this year because they changed the rules....It used to be that the first 80k is ignored and you start paying taxes on 80,001 as if it was your 1st dollar. Now they still let you ignore your first 82,400 (it went up in 2006), but 82,401 is taxed as if you made the first 82,400. It totally sucks - I used to pay $700, now i'm paying $20k.

God, that's daylight rape Jibs.

Us Aussie just got it al too good!

90 days outta the country and we become non residents so non of our income is taxed in Australia!

And since last year we don't have to pay capital gains tax on the sale of shares which is the best law that has ever been introduced!

OK I have just spend 90 minutes talking to a very friendly lady in the town office. I was determined to get to the bottom of all this and find out what was going on.

Anyway, she explained it all to me and I now pretty much understand where all my numbers are coming from. Unfortunately there wasn't a mistake. In my case, basically a combination of the following three things...

- an increase in the town tax, basically now 10%;

- an increase in the % rate for the national health thing;

- a scrapping of some kind of "tax limit" that there used to be, but now isn't

...saw my bill for the whole lot go up over 165,000 yen. Seems extreme when my salary has not changed for 2 years.

The better news is that I will be set to get around 75,000 yen of that back next spring because I am paying too much this year. (Don't ask!)

So my bill effectively went up around 90,000 yen (though I'd rather not pay the other bit this year just to get it back next). Not much I can do but pay the thing. I suppose if you think of it all in one chunk it's nasty but if you think of it as a monthly it's easier to take.

DAMN!!!!!! I'm getting hosed!

Emp insurance up 3,360

Wefare up 1,097

Income Tax up 27,941

Ward Tax up 195,600

WTF!!!!!! That's a montly increase of 227,998!

That's like USD 2G's...Something is very wrong here. I think "TheOrange" and I are getting hosed.

I overpaid by 616,000 last year...I need tax relief, my wife better give birth this year - daddy needs deductions!

Big Will, i'm going to be unemployed soon so the big numbers will disappear. I'm actually looking forward to collecting back on this 'employement insurance' that I paid so much into. Does anyone have experience to collect unemployement in Japan?

Indo,

I thought they gave some pretty nice deduction to encourage the birth rate...remember "baby making machines"?

I went to the ward office for something else so I asked them about it.

So, we pay less tax, but that makes our net income higher, so our ward tax is then charged from a higher net income rate, and the percentage used to calculate ward tax is double of what it used to be. The handout they give says the difference should cancel out, but the guy told me that in reality we'll wind up paying a 'little bit more'... ummm.. yeh, okay... whatever...