The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be nice if it was actually on TV over here. I hate squatting over some crappy sopcast feed in 120x120 resolution with crap sound and regular freezes. Why cant we have tv-on-demand over the internet that we pay for and can get in decent quality?

What do people think about Paul Jewell for Ireland? Think he did a good job at Wigan with not that much money. At International level the pool of players cannot be bought or sold, so being able go galvanise players is an important thing! I would be happy with that announcement.

Yeh why not, he turned down wigan so obviously looking for something different. I think he quit wigan cos of stress, so a national team job might be just the thing with its reduced fixture schedule etc.

I see the Isrealies saved us and we are now looking like favourites to win the group \:\/

That would be a surprise.

And in other news:

The referees at the upcoming Club World Cup in Japan will likely be taking a little less flack from the fans if a ball manages to come dangerously close to slipping into the net, as FIFA is deploying a type of "goal-line" technology that more precisely indicates whether debatable shots really crossed the line. At the heart of the system are four sensors that are placed around the goal and a single microchip within the so-called smart-ball; if the ball does indeed cross over the goal line, an encrypted message is instantly beamed out to a referee's watch, leaving no doubt as to whether or not a point should be awarded. Apparently, the system will be widely used at the 2010 World Cup if testing proves successful, but unfortunately, this same technology can't be used to embarrass the multitude of players who will inevitably take a dive in order to draw a card.