The FOOTBALL Thread (2007-2008)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a new manager would be the first step, I never thought that McLaren was the right man for England to be successful. In fact I don't know if there are any english managers at the moment who would do well. I reckon you guys are gonna need to go Foreign again

Quote:
McClaren, 46, who had a four-year deal, is expected to be paid more than £2m in compensation

ii desu ne. 2mill for doing sod all and getting the sack.
Just a different world, no, universe. How do you get in it?

Quote:
and ex-Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho and Martin O'Neill are the bookies' favourite to succeed him.

They might be able to rest from the World Cup too:

England's fall from grace does not stop with their failure to qualify for Euro 2008. Further ignominy was sealed today with news that they will almost certainly miss out on being among the top seeds for the 2010 World Cup qualifying draw on Sunday.

The 3-2 defeat by Croatia at Wembley has seen England drop to 12th place in Fifa's world rankings. Having been leapfrogged by current European champions Greece, England are no longer among the top nine countries in Europe who will, in all likelihood, be in the pot of top seeds for the draw. Although Fifa has yet to decide the seedings, a spokesman said they were "99% likely" to be based on world rankings.

Quote:
McClaren’s lawyers were negotiating with his former employers at the Football Association last night, but it is thought he will collect a year’s salary – £2.5 million – as compensation for failing to qualify for next year’s European Championships.

This kind of thing is just annoying. He gets 2.5million for being useless?? Where is the sense in that? Are the FA totally helpless in having to pay out to get rid of someone who does a shite job?
 Originally Posted By: 1
They might be able to rest from the World Cup too:

England's fall from grace does not stop with their failure to qualify for Euro 2008. Further ignominy was sealed today with news that they will almost certainly miss out on being among the top seeds for the 2010 World Cup qualifying draw on Sunday.

The 3-2 defeat by Croatia at Wembley has seen England drop to 12th place in Fifa's world rankings. Having been leapfrogged by current European champions Greece, England are no longer among the top nine countries in Europe who will, in all likelihood, be in the pot of top seeds for the draw. Although Fifa has yet to decide the seedings, a spokesman said they were "99% likely" to be based on world rankings.

The seedings will be based upon November's FIFA ranking apparently. Cos we have jumped up a pot or 2 since the Euro qualifying draw, which is good news for us, screw having to play Italy and France again

Yeah, a remake of the old Home Championship's. But England had always said they weren't interested in playing, so Scotland, Wales and the 2 Ireland's were gonna play in a "Celtic Cup". I guess now England might choose to play. TBH if each team fielded strong teams, I'd be more interested in watching that than the Euro's. With Scotland and England not qualifying, there is very little actual interest for me

I like football very muh. I played it on alternate Saturdays with Rugby. We had a shit football team but an all conquering Rugby team. The same players for both.

What am I saying? I don't know, 'cept that if you're not there for te big ones, you're not a big one.

Dunno what your getting at there Thurs?

We obviously would rather be at the Euro's, but we're not. So instead of watching a tournament that has no personal or vested interest in a team for me(other than simply watching good players play football), I would be more interested in watching Scotland v England, even although it means nothing in the big scheme of things. As long as they fielded strong teams. If they only fielded U21 or `B` strength teams then thats a waste of time and I'd be glued to the Euro's like everyone else