4 here even though we are quite a way off and there are lots less between here and Ishikawa. Even a 5弱 somewhere in Niigata. Seems we must be on a particularly wobbly part of land here. \:\(

The Joetsu Shinkansen between Nagaoka and Niigata has been stopped for the moment.

Hope everyone is fine.

Mee too.

Looking out the window, I thought... "shit, why is everything moving out there?"

kids were running around etc etc and sure enough we were swaying big time! Lasted for a while here.. maybe 1 min as I think also we have a pretty unstable base.

It was just on the news and if I understood correctly they were saying that this earthquake was in a place that was unexpected for one this size. Wasn't both the Kobe and Niigata ones like that also - in places that were not expected to get biggies?

just got another quake. only 3 this time. feels like I'm living in Gunma again.

I missed the big one this morning as I was in an elevator in Nagano city. The elevator shook but didn't stop. I guess it's a good thing cuz we just got out and everybody was saying earthquake?. Beats being stuck in an elevator

Hakuba probably got rocked a bit there. Didn't feel anything here, seems to have ripped a few roads up though.

Tesselator, is that impressive looking beard all yours? \:\)

I slept thru it, although it probably wasn't that big in Tokyo. I got the USGS e-mail when I woke up at 10:30, threw the coordinates into Google Earth and BAM - it was right off the coast of Ishikawa (where my wife's gma lives!). We called grandma - she's ok. Info on the quake from USGS below...

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

***This event has been revised.

Region: NEAR WEST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN

Geographic coordinates: 37.537N, 136.437E

Magnitude: 6.7 Mw

Depth: 32 km

Universal Time (UTC): 25 Mar 2007 00:42:02

Time near the Epicenter: 25 Mar 2007 09:42:02

Local time in your area: 25 Mar 2007 09:42:02

Location with respect to nearby cities:

108 km (67 miles) N (351 degrees) of Kanazawa, Honshu, Japan

165 km (102 miles) N (7 degrees) of Fukui, Honshu, Japan

182 km (113 miles) WNW (303 degrees) of Nagano, Honshu, Japan

361 km (225 miles) NW (306 degrees) of TOKYO, Japan

ADDITIONAL EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS

event ID : US 2007aiae

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist at NEIC

For subsequent updates, maps, and technical information, see:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2007aiae.php

or

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

That one woke me up with a jolt eek.gif though you got it much more than down here joshnii. A friend in Niigata city said it was more powerful there than the Chuetsu jishin.

I see they are having lots of aftershocks (one of which woke me up again this morning! mad.gif ) - -- lets hope you don't get them going on for what seems like forever and more like we did!!

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:

Hehe, (yup, all natural) thanks man!

I posted a bigger pic somewhere on here and I had a girl say it was classy... I'm still beaming from that. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tesselator:
 Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:

Hehe, (yup, all natural) thanks man!

I posted a bigger pic somewhere on here and I had a girl say it was classy... I'm still beaming from that. ;\)

Hummm must be hard to eat noodles. confused.gif