The FOOTBALL Thread (2006-2007)

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Angry Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd has told Michael Owen to show some loyalty and warned him none of the 'big four' clubs want to buy him.

Shepherd is furious after reports suggested Owen, who has played only 13 games since joining Newcastle for £17m in 2005, could leave in the summer.

"Michael has two choices: he can come out and tell our fans that he is happy here," Shepherd told the Daily Express.

"Or I tell him none of the big four are interested. Because that's the case."

Looks like you have done the latter, mate

Either way now with Owen things are unpleasant. If he stays, its not nice to hear something like that from the chairman.

Surely he cannot go, is he really that slimey? That would make Anelka look loyal. Man wouldnt it be so funny if he left in the summer, I would pixx my pants.

Not sure United would actually want him, though at 9 million it isn't that expensive. Then again he gets ridiculous wages for doing not much of late.

I think it is only on Fuji 739

Poll quitting?

>>>

Alleluia! Football has received a welcome fillip this morning following reports that Graham Poll has 'dramatically decided to quit refereeing'.

'His last game will be Portsmouth's Premiership clash with Arsenal on Sunday,' reports the Daily Mirror. 'Poll will end his career early after becoming fed up with the abuse that goes with being the most controversial and high-profile official in English football.'

This, of course, is a charitable view. Poll is, in fact, widely detested for being a serial match-wrecker and giving the impression that he craves being the centre of attention. In his entire career, Poll has only refereed six games in which no cards were issued.

The 43-year-old erred spectacularly at last summer's World Cup, damaging the reputation of the country as a whole when he unwillingly supported claims that many Englishmen were unable to complete basic arithmetic when he only dismissed Croatia's Josip Iimuni・for a third bookable offence.

Although he subsequently quit international football, bizarrely announcing his retirement whilst talking of himself in the third person, this season has seen Poll bolster his reputation as a match wrecker. He erroneously awarded Arsenal two penalties in December's North London derby before effectively dumping the Gunners out of the FA Cup when he waved away two clear penalties in their tie at Blackburn.

In November, he sent off Chelski captain John Terry during their defeat at Spurs. Chelski players claimed Poll said they needed to be "taught a lesson". In his first game after that incident, Poll then sent off James McFadden for allegedly calling him "a cheat".

This Wednesday, Poll succeeded in antagonising both Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho with the Chelski manager describing his confrontation with the card-happy ref as "cleansing my soul". Ferguson was aggrieved, meanwhile, by Poll refusing to award the visitors a penalty kick for a blatant trip on Chris Eagles.

Nor is Poll believed to be popular amongst his whistle-blowing peers. In his autobiography, Jeff Winter spoke out on behalf of Robbie Savage after the then Birmingham midfielder was charged by the FA for using the referee's toilet. "The referee in question was not one of my favourite people," he wrote. "In fact, anyone who craps in Graham Poll's toilet can't be all bad."

>>>

Anyone help us this weekend please?

Big night for the clubs near the bottom tonight, unfortunately including us. It's on tv too so fingers crossed. Please please please please stay in.

Glad Wigan stayed up pie-eater. \:\) But what do you reckon on all the goings on with Jewell. Bit of a mad day. Did Owen get injured again in the game on Sunday, can't seem to find that but heard it perhaps it was a joke.

I'm sure the police were totally in the wrong, of course:

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was arrested and cautioned after arguing with police about his dog, according to reports.

Scotland Yard confirmed the dog was to be seized under the Animal Health Act of 1981 and Rabies Order Act of 1974.

A police spokesman said officers went to an address in London on Tuesday evening with an animal health officer.

"A man was arrested on suspicion of obstructing police and taken to a London station. He subsequently received a caution for obstruction."

Mourinho, 44, was attending Chelsea's player-of-the-year awards when he was called to his home, the Sun newspaper reports.

The paper claims police wanted to put the dog into quarantine, fearing it had been taken abroad and back without jabs.

The police spokesman added that officers discussed the removal of the animal from the address with the owners.

I think big sam has guts to go up there, he has a promising little career but that place seems to just bring trouble to people. If he is the one that manages to pull it round though, that would really be something.

Well he seemed to do a good job at Bolton.

Latest from....

JOSE MOURINHO has told Cristiano Ronaldo: No diving in the FA Cup final.

Chelsea boss Mouninho took a blast at Manchester United’s double Footballer of the Year in the build-up to Wembley.

He said: “Ronaldo is a big player. But if he wants to be a bigger one, he must be fair with his opponents.

“The final should be played with happiness. I’ll be disappointed if some players are diving and trying to get the opposition red cards on Saturday.

“I don’t want to see any provocation.

“It will be sad if it is not a good and fair event — with good winners and proud losers.”

>>

How about good losers as well Jose? And did you tell Drogba about the 'cheating'?

I'll be sat scrunched over my laptop with it running off the internet in 360x240 resolution \:\(

Damned Sky, pay them a fortune and you still dont get all the games.

Trevor brooking made a good point about Lampard sayign Ballack has hampered his game this season. I was thinking that if you think of gerrard/lampard in the england team the same thing has happened. But ballack is out of the final this satu so will be interesting to see if lampard shines. If he gets a goal or two you can all buy brooking a beer for being a smartarse.

Don't you have Fuji 739 on your Sky bobby - most of the England games are on that channel, plus the FA Cup - all it's good for really.

By the way folks remember to cancel the soccer packs for the summer months to save a bit.

Just called Sky today to cancel the footie packs - can still see them until the end of the month so that covers the CL final.

No point in paying 3600 yen a month from June - August.

I think Fuji is not included in the soccer pack I have, I'm on CS110 remember, its all barmy. Anyway I'll watch it on sopcast, itll be OK.

You know I hope United win just to increase the chances of us getting ride of Morinhyo. He is getting very tiring.

"Jose Mourinho has admitted he may be arrested before today's FA Cup final against Manchester United after refusing to reveal the whereabouts of his dog.

Animal welfare officers have yet to make checks on the Chelsea manager's Yorkshire terrier, Gullit, amid concerns about the animal's quarantine status. As Mourinho prepared for the first Cup final at the new Wembley Stadium, he spoke of his annoyance at the authorities' behaviour.

"Maybe I'll be arrested before the Cup final," he said in an interview for the Portuguese television station TVI. "The dog is on holiday and will stay on holiday while the people are dishonest and while they won't forget that I am a foreigner, a public person, and while they don't treat me as a normal person."