The FOOTBALL Thread (2006-2007)

Friend sent this to me by mail, don't know where it is originating from - but well worth a read:

Two points rang out loud and clear in Sir Alex Ferguson's instant analysis of his side's failure to reach the final of this year's Champions League. First, he said late on Wednesday night, Milan's players had been better prepared and their freshness enabled them to take the initiative in the vital early stages of the second leg at San Siro. Second, his own players had failed to keep possession of the ball.

By demonstrating that Manchester United enjoyed 52% of possession in the first half and 53% in the second, the statistics appeared to undercut his second observation. But it was what his players did with possession that counted.

Whenever Milan had the ball they swept and switched it around with marvellous incisiveness, deploying a range of passing, a command of angles and a cleverness in support of each other that United, for all their combative spirit, could never match. On the night the clarity and assurance brought to the game by Clarence Seedorf, Massimo Ambrosini and Andrea Pirlo were beyond the scope of Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs and Michael Carrick. And when United attacked, individuals such as Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo were lost in a swarm of red and black.

An admiring Ferguson singled out the priceless experience of Seedorf, winner of three European Cups with three different clubs, and the sheer quality of Kaka, whose goal in the 11th minute mirrored his two strikes at Old Trafford. "He floats from side to side and behind the striker," Ferguson said, "and he's got lovely movement with his running style, a long stride and deceiving with his pace. We didn't man-mark him because that's not our approach. The nearest defender has to be responsible for getting to him."

Of the four teams in the semi-finals, the best conceptual and technical footballwas clearly played by the only non-Premiership club. On the face of it, this was the familiar story of an English side - the Premiership leaders, in this instance - being out-thought and out-passed by opponents more comfortable on the ball. But English sides no longer prepare themselves by running up and down slag-heaps at the urging of sergeant-majorish coaches. Ferguson and his assistant, Carlos Queiroz, are students of world football, while Rafael Benítez and Jose Mourinho lack nothing in tactical sophistication. Milanello's facilities may define the state of the art but Carrington, Cobham and Melwood are close behind. And in men such as Xabi Alonso, Arjen Robben and Cristiano Ronaldo the Premiership sides contain players of the highest technical gifts.

So the problem, if there is one, must lie elsewhere, and the key to it lies in Ferguson's opening remark. Milan were simply better prepared for such a big night, in a way that asks questions of the Premiership's current and future ability to produce a Champions League winner via anything other than the superhuman effort of will seen from Liverpool two years ago. And while it is not impossible that Benítez's side will repeat the achievement in Athens on May 23, it is harder to know what such an achievement would prove in terms of the Premiership's standing in Europe.

According to Mourinho, Liverpool made progress in Europe only because they abandoned all pretence of competing for domestic trophies. Coming from a man with infinite resources at his disposal, it seemed a tiresome claim. After all, Mourinho's handling of his own squad has not been beyond criticism. But, like Ferguson's compliment to Milan's physical preparation, his words could not be ignored. Perhaps the lesson to be learnt from the semi-finals was that a team committed to the climax of the race for the Premiership will have the utmost difficulty in summoning the very different effort needed to capture the European title.

At this stage of the season the fixtures come too thick and fast, generating the kind of injuries that reduced Ferguson's defence on Wednesday to a shadow of its first-choice incarnation. In terms of tactical preparation, too, there is no breathing space. Milan in a semi-final is not the same as Arsenal or Bolton in the league. The time to isolate the specific requirements of such a match simply does not exist for a championship-chasing side.

For Milan, as for Liverpool, the priorities were different. On the Saturday before the first leg of the semi-final Carlo Ancelotti played a Serie A match against Cagliari with just two of the men who would start at Old Trafford. A week later against Torino the number was three. Needing only to retain third or fourth place to keep their Champions League place, Milan won both matches at a canter while ensuring the freshness of vital figures such as Kaka and Alessandro Nesta.

The Premiership may not be unique in this respect. Seldom, nowadays, is the Champions League won by a club topping their domestic league. When Barcelona managed the double last year they were comfortable winners of La Liga and could approach the final stages of the Champions League with their concentration relatively undisturbed. Those involved in a real title race will find it far more difficult.

Although Liverpool and Milan may well produce another thriller, it would be the product of a competition whose parameters have significantly changed since it was truly a contest between Europe's champions. Mourinho and Ferguson would be entitled to view this year's final as a battle of also-rans. But they will also wonder whether, in order to achieve their European ambitions, they must contemplate sacrifices on the home front.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
MIKEL JOHN OBI has taunted Manchester United by claiming: You don’t deserve the title.

The £16million Chelsea star, who snubbed a move to Old Trafford after a bitter row, insists the Blues have been the better side.

The Nigerian said: “We deserve to win the title because of our hard work, determination, the injury crisis and everything.

“I think United have been lucky at some points this season while we’ve had a long list of injuries to cope with. Overall, we’ve been the better team.

“On the strength of our performances we would be worthy champions, because we gave it our all.”

Yeah, right, no-one else had injury problems at all. Especially not United, especially when for the last few weeks we have at times not had 1 first-choice defender to choose from. Yeah, right.

Silly man.

A win tonight and Chelsea not getting a win tomorrow and the title is ours. Let's hope it goes that way \:D

Congrats to Manchester Citeh for setting a new top flight record for the fewest home goals scored in a season ever with just 10.

Their motto

Manchester City: Defining Small Time Since 1976

lol.gif

Seriously, that outrageous act of violence should-have-been-instant-red-card along with about 5 other yellow offences by that dirty man Mr Ball (who he? yeah right) really should earn him, whoever he is, at least a 3 game ban. **** dirty get.

There really needs to be a rule in the game where they can view replays and take action on clear incidents like that. It was vicious - totally a red card no question about it.

Chelsea need to win tomorrow just to stay in the running. Oh I am looking forward to that game.

Bloody hell, if anyone has any spare points they can throw Wigans way please.... \:\(

Michael Ball. Pleb. He will surely be punished for that, what a fool got to wonder how stupid some of these guys are when they know literally millions are watching.

To think my mum likes Michael Ball

759868_356x237.jpg

lol.gif

Champions! That was a nail-biting last 15 minutes, but I'm glad we go to Stamford Bridge with the title decided.

clap.gif

It will be interesting to see the team line-ups Fergie and Jose put out on Wednesday.

Chelsea were really good in that last part I really thought they were going to score and take it to Wednesday. Anyhow, United deserved to win the Premiership this season that much is obvious not only in the stats but the way they played. It is going to be interesting to see what happens over summer.

I think it is a different Michael Ball. Perhaps. lol.gif

That game last night, at one point it looked like Arsenal were going to give Chelsea a battering, but suddenly with their goal Chelsea really turned it on.

Will Jose still be around? There's the FA Cup final to look forward to, that will be a fun match to watch.

Man Utd gave Chelsea the guard of honor when they won the league the first time. Will be very interesting to watch them suck it up and return the favour, or snub them and look like even bigger losers. HAHA. Im going to get up to watch it live just to see how that bit pans out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/photo_galleries/4532143.stm

_41131509_gohonpa300.jpg

Looks like that will happen bobby12

Quote:
Jose Mourinho has promised Manchester United a guard of honour at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday - but pledged the new Premiership champions can expect a major battle to retain their crown next season.

Two years ago, Sir Alex Ferguson famously ordered his players to applaud Chelsea onto the Old Trafford pitch following the Blues first title triumph under Mourinho.

And now, after Chelsea's lingering hopes of a championship hat-trick died with a draw against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, Mourinho confirmed the gesture will be reciprocated when Ferguson takes his team to Stamford Bridge this week.

Hehe nice, I am going to watch that and enjoy it thoroughly.

And next year someone will be doing that to Liverpool, mark my words \:\) At Everton would be nice...

Good to see you have class 2pints ;\)

I will get up as well, hope we beat them this week and in the final as well. That would wrap up a very satisfying season.

I'll be getting up - the last early morning one, or maybe not I don't know what time the FA Cup Final is on.... I hope that will be midnight rather than later.

I skipped it and taped it. watched the guard of honour this AM though it was a bit of a joke really considering it was a reserve game basically.