A "what would you do" question

Two of my friends got married last year. I know the bloke longer than the lady but call them both really good friends. I didn't see any problems there at all, seem(ed) to be getting on really well and all lovey and all.

Anyway I found out that the lady is having an affair with another local guy - basically saw them in a restaurant the other night and it was quite obvious....

So I'm wondering what if anything to do or say.

I agree with Bushpig. I would hope that someone would tell me. Then again he might not believe you and it could end up ruining your friendship.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide.

yeah, I agree. Don't put any interpretation on it. You know, I don't reckon that any of my mates would stop being mates with me if I told them something like that. If they did, then I would know the friendship wasn't all that strong in the first place. I'd definitely be more pissed off at finding out later that a friend knew and didn't say anything.

Tell him what you saw, and let him find out what was going on.

I would appreciate a mate telling me the truth rather than hiding it (unless he was the culprit). Mates look out for each other and if you can't be straight with each other then what's the point?

In the movies when a friend tells another friend, the friend that is getting told always gets annoyed and angry with the telling friend, so be careful. ;\)

Seriously, awkward one that.

I'd tell the friend.

You'd want to be 100% damn sure of the facts before going off half-cocked.

Things are not what they always seem.

In the event that they are, Indo's advice seems as good as any.

the tricky point is probably where she denies it and then the friend is forced to decide who to believe. If he takes her word, and you have actually said she is cheating (not just saying what you saw) then where does that leave you in his eyes? As people have already suggested, just a simple relaying of what you saw, without any interpretation on it, is probably the safest way to handle it. As I said before, I would hope that a mate would tell me something like that.

I was just talking this topic over with a friend yesterday and she also agreed that erring on the side of caution is better than fuelling something that could be nothing at all.

It reminded me of the case a few years back where a "foreigner" - kiwi I think - took some foil wrapped sandwiches to his apartment rooftop to eat while watching the sunset. He was spotted by a resident, who promptly rang the police to alert them that a gaijin was on the roof with a WEAPON.

It seems half of Tokyo's finest(?)raced there before the misunderstanding was realized.

Hope all turns out OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update.

Anyway, I met with them and all seemed fine, they were all over each other. The other night I went out with some beers with my friend and I told him, as tactfully as possible I thought, that I'd seen her and he picked up on it straight away. He basically had a shout at me and left, this was just 2 nights ago. I'm going to give him a call tonight, see whats up.

sounds rough nagpants - but if hes a good mate he will understand your intentions. If he had a shout at you maybe its because he wonders the same thing. If a good mate of mine said that to me I wouldnt be mad at them - Id be pissed if it was true but would actually be glad that they were saying what they saw.