Whats with all the crimes against kids at the moment?

There seems to be a worryingly large amount of sickening sad crimes against kids recently here don't you think?

Whats this one with some woman killing her 2 kids because she didn't want them to be at school with lots of other kids who were a bad infuence.

confused.gif mad.gif

to be honest with you it is really disturbing. i suppose the thing that bothers me most about it though it the not to surprising lack of creative and investigative thinking into why such things are happening. these actions that have been re-occuring lately have been disturbing to say the least, but i just can't see how essentially putting radio collars on children to moniter their movements is going to put a stop to this.

i just for once wish the media was willing to take an inward look on the current social conditions of the country and attempt to analyse the problem rather than pass it off as a sypmtom of foreign encroachment.

i am reminded of the string of highschool shootings that took place in north america several years ago. immediatly people began to question what was driving children to take such radical actions. with said investigation, measures were then taken to help nurture children and ensure that they had means to channel their frustrations and issues in a healthy way. not a solution i know, but steps were made. and granted, steps were only made once this type of violence was making its way into white middle class sub-urbia, but none the less people were severely scarred by these events, both victims (of course) and society on a grander level. i don't think anyone wants this sort of thing to happen again.

i know that nobody in this county wants these sorts of things to happen. but i fear that the country is not willy or ready to take the steps and measures required to actually get to the route of the problem. i severely hope i am wrong.

It is very disturbing and there does seem to be a lot of these incidents recently.

Quote:
....than pass it off as a sypmtom of foreign encroachment
Are they doing that daver?

There's been a lot of attempted abductions here around schools recently. Very scary for parents. My nieces only live two blocks from their school but my sister insists on dropping them off and picking them up - can't blame her really.

Quote:
Originally posted by kkk:
It is very disturbing and there does seem to be a lot of these incidents recently.

....than pass it off as a sypmtom of foreign encroachment
Are they doing that daver? [/quote

unfortunately, these are the ones getting the most attention. even though they are in the minority. you might remember the case involving Juan Carlos Pizarro Yagi, a 30-year-old Peruvian of Japanese descent a little while ago. although there were several other cases of child violence at the time, this particular case was getting the most attention in the news. and not even the particulars about the murder, but the reports focus mored around the fact that he was of peruvian descent and the neighbourhood's empression of the foreigner. in fact both the United Nations and Amnesty International condemned the media and the Japanese government for not taking sterner action towards such flagrant fear and hate mongering.
as well, in the issue that was initially brough up in this thread involving a mother, Zheng Yongshan, and her daughter's pre-school friends, the media has paid considerable time on the fact that the woman is of Chinese descent.
however, other cases of equal brutality and horror are receiving significantly less airtime, and the airtime that they do receive centers around more factual accounts of the events in question rather than the personal background of the accused.
it is a real shame. regardless of nationality or cultural background, this country is facing a serious crisis and needs to take decisive and effective action to curb this escalating trend. as i said before, i hope that it can make the choices needed to protect the lives of everyone.

A heap of sickos out there. In the last year 105 kids elementary school age and under have been killed.

Alot of the problem comes from the kids only being allowed to walk to school. Some kids walk up to an hour by themselves to and from school each day. I can understand that if they were allowed to ride bikes there would be chaos as most of them half the road sense of a pea, and there'd probably be more deaths than now.

In my area there have been a few failed abduction attempts and as a parent where do we draw the line from being over protective of our kids? Do we have to supervise them all the time? Implant GPS? or let them run free and take the risk?

I'd like to see some numbers before making assertions, but my impression is the children are relatively safe in Japan. I am encouraged by the presence of children in the street, rather than being driven to and from school.

No2 son was emboldened enough whilst here, to ask permission to walk to the station. I am pretty sure that at 9yo, it was the first time he had so much as crossed a road on his own. At that age, I was roaming all over town, and miles into the surrounding country.

It's a dilemma. We have to let go of our children at some time. I'd rather do it here, in a settled community where children still are allowed to roam, than in Perth. If anything happened, of course, I'd carry the guilt to my grave.

Sava,

We are about to move 4.5km from the nearest school. All the Japanese Parents take great pride in having their kids walk to school in almost any conditions.

For me, there are too many empty streets at 7AM for a 9 year old to be walking alone. I usually drive her about half way and drop her off where there are plenty of other kids around.

Back to the grim subject, how about this one:

A man who raped his unconscious teenage stepdaughter as she lay dying from a head injury has been jailed for nine years at the High Court in Glasgow.

Sentencing Judge Lord Philip told George McKee, 50, he had committed an "appalling crime" which filled members of the public with "horror".

McKee admitted raping Kerry Muchan, 14, in her Paisley home on 23 July, 2005 while she was unconscious.

Kerry died soon after the rape from a head injury caused by a fall.

Lord Philip said: "Any sentence I impose has to reflect the revulsion and horror society feels at this kind of behaviour."

Kerry was drunk and had fallen several times before she was raped.

Lord Philip said: "Instead of looking after her and being concerned for her condition and seeking medical help, you took advantage of her complete helplessness and raped her when she was in a state of complete unconsciousness."

In addition to the nine-year sentence, McKee will be monitored for three years after release.

Stair fall

He pleaded guilty to raping Kerry at her home in Dalskieth Avenue, Paisley.

The court heard Kerry had fallen ill after taking a cocktail of alcohol and drugs.

Her death less than two and a half hours after being raped was caused by head injuries sustained during falls.

These included a fall down stairs after which McKee took her to his bed and raped her.

He was found in bed with his stepdaughter by a relative.

Still alive

When paramedics arrived, they found a faint pulse.

However, she died later in the Royal Alexandra Hospital.

A postmortem examination revealed she was still alive when her stepfather raped her.

It found she had horrific injuries consistent with being raped with considerable force.

The court was told McKee and Kerry's mother Lorna Muchan had lived as man and wife and he treated the girl as his own.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one about an eleven-year-old raped when she went to the toilet in the supermarket.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1725373,00.html

As for the most shocking one I've seen recently, there was a story earlier in the year about a babysitter and his girlfriend raping a three-month-old baby, again in the UK.

The Chinese woman murdered the two kids here was giving them a lift to school, so stopping kids walking to school isn't necessarily the solution to that one. Obesity could rocket if that happens.

When you get parents inable to cope and losing it, I wonder how much help they're getting from their family. Loads of kids grow up now away from grandparents and uncles/aunts. Its great to be mobile (esp when its by choice), but it removes people from traditional support structures. Not that its ever justified to do nasty things to kids.