Bento's are OK but I don't really get the BIG deal with the whole EKI ben craaaaaaaaap.

Gimme a freshly made sesame bun filled with saland and some turkey breast any day... (or a meat pie or pastie!)

My wife really hates bento day at kindy. I can understand that, Imagine having to cook lunch ; brekkie very day... welcome to hell!

i make a lunchbox everyday. anytime i do it aussie style (sandwich, apple, yoghurt), the kids totally freak out. 'you eat a whole apple? & is that sandwich homemade?!'

being vege means i miss out on most of the good stuff in store-bought bentos, saw one in 711 which was part of a new healthy range with all different vege/tofu dishes. didn't buy it, though.. maybe next time.

i meant to say, 'being vego'.

however, still in my pyjamas at 1pm probably makes me a vege, no?

& yes, have you tried a conbini sandwich? they put the filling on about 1/3 of the bread, just where you can see it. i swear the rest of the bread is just for holding.

My sandwiches are the best. I'm quite famous for them in these parts. A good butty is hardly that difficult to make though is it? Agreed on the combini sandwiches, they do not deserve to be called that.

If anyone is coming to Hakuba then head to the Bakery at A-Coop. The long french bread there is great (best I've had in Japan, even my folks from NZ thought it was something special).

Only get the fresh baked stuff, not the commerical loaves on the side.

He was being sarcastic gamera (well I'm pretty sure). The point it's easy to make a great sandwich, but that seems almost impossible for everyone here in Japan (evidence - general lack of good sandwiches).