Top tips on getting good seats on the plane

Have no idea if it has any effect or not, but I often phone the airline in advance and have them put something "on the computer" to ask for a good seat if at all possible. More often than not I have got a decent place.

The twisted ankle scam, I use it every time. As you are checking in have a bit of a limp when you walk up to the desk, or better still ring ahead. Tell them that you recently sprained your ankle and badly have just got off crutches. Because of the swelling and the risk of DVT (deep vein Thrombosis) you need to keep you leg elevated as much as possible. The next thing you know you will have a bulkhead seat, a row of seats all to yourself so you can lie down and elevate it, or even an upgrade to business class (happened once).

To make it even more realistic buy one of those cheap commpression sock/bandage things from any pharmacy., and Bob's ya mother's brother! This has worked every time for me without fail....try it out. Good luck and happy travels clap.gif

Hmmm, this is good timing. I have a 25 hour business class flight coming up.

Sunrise has a friend who swears by:

1) paying full fare economy, no special rates

2) assume that the plane will be oversold as they usually are

3) turn up late.

4) being a full economy fare payer they can't refuse you a seat and will upgrade you to business.

5) Hope that business is not fully booked. Business class is very often quite full, but I have never seen it fully booked.

Other hints:

- fly BA and select your seat online.

- use this link. You owe me for showing you this: http://www.seatguru.com/

Personally, I'd rather something less stressful than my friend's way (or at least the way he described it!).... he said he's only done it a couple of times, from what I recall (is that right BPC?).

That's an interesting link you posted BP. Have you ever utilised any of it?

Twisted ankle - good trick, Dims. I can see all the SJ-ers rocking up on the same day at their respective J-airports all limping away..... lol.gif

I always call and book the front seats with the leg room.

They can't always keep them for you as they usually give them to people with kids.

Can't get exit seats now because of the kids.

I have done the rock up really late scam and it works well when economy is booked out as I got up graded a few times.

Have never been upgraded yet flying with my wife though..

Just try walking up and sitting in BC! It can work for you sometimes!

Just asking has always worked for me. Ask for the exit seats, or as just happened on my flight to Oz, I asked for a spare seat next to me. (Halfway through the flight a rather insistent chinese chap tried to sit in it, so I had to order him back to his own seat).

db's friend's idea would be good if you couldn't get a discount business class flight for less than a full price economy... but very often you can.

Indosnm... funny how the business class upgrades only happen when you're traveling alone... I'd noticed the same thing myself!

Quote:
Originally posted by miteyak:
Indosnm... funny how the business class upgrades only happen when you're traveling alone... I'd noticed the same thing myself!
Yet another reason to leave the wife and kids @ home! ( they don't see it that way though!)
 Quote:
Originally posted by oo:
They must be on to the "oh no not another limper" scam though surely?
Ahhh......NO shifty.gif

I mean what are they going to say? "No your ankle isn't stuffed and you Mr paying customer, are a dirty lying cheat" They are too busy doing their job.

They see all the scam don't you think!

I was told to actually have a seat reserved for you that you would have to provide a doc's certificate.

The rest is just really upto the person on they day. Unfortunately some of them know they have that power.

Phone up in advance and ask for them to put a memo on your booking for when you check in.

The online booking thing I think is no good as they don't put the bulkhead and behind doors seats on there - they have to see you to assign you on of them - so I usually just try to check in early after calling a few days before.