Last July it was severe flooding.

Then the big earthqake.

Then the most snowfall in 20 years to add to the fun.

Then another strong earthquake last week.

Next up - flooding again!!! eek.gif eek.gif

My friend in Kashiwazaki just called me and said his house has about 40cm of water flooding in!!

Does anyone know what Niigata might have done to deserve this unrelenting bashing?! wakaranai.gif

Eathquake and snowfall, we can do nothing.

But I think we can prevent flooding... The government do nothing to protect the safety of citizens there?

However, I hope goverment knows better way than making concrete embankment...

Has that area of Niigata always had trouble with floods? You really would think that they could do something about that situation... sadly it will probably involve lots of concrete.

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:

But I think we can prevent flooding... The government do nothing to protect the safety of citizens there?
Japan's attempt to control nature has gotten it in to a lot of trouble.

Best thing to do - don't build where it is likely to flood!

This coming from a guy who bought a cabin on a river that floods all the time :p Just last week, the water got within a foot of the top of the dike! BUT, it was the 3rd highest water level ever recorded, so.... the dike is actually working well.

Japan's natural hazards program gets a lot of good press for some of their more innovative ideas. Unfortunately, it's all surface glammer. The program does nothing to deal with the little tragedies that cause most of the damage. I'm refering to tunnels for EQ evacs, gigantic dams on rivers that have never had a history of flooding, stream channels concreted and paved (which can exacerbate flooding), the attempt to solidify mountain sides with cement..........

I'm not trying to be negative and I know a lot more goes in to this subject besides geologic fact (politiks), but damn, Japan has some screwy engineering solutions that have proven time and again not to work.

I really do feel for everyone that is dealing with these situations over there. That area of Japan has been hit HARD and from all angles. I hope they can be granted some peace soon!

Surely I very much feel for the people of that area of Niigata.

It is difficult to believe how much they have had to put up with in the last 12 months - they certainly deserve a rest!

You Niigata peeps sure have had it rough. One question though, have you thought of moving somewhere else in Japan less cursed than Niigata?

Do you guys have property or serious committments keeping you there?, because seriously there are some pretty sweet areas in Japan far less diastrous than Niigata to enjoy your lives.

Haha, well it's not quite as simple as that - job, house, etc. And until this time last year Niigata wasn't known for it's natural disasters.....

If only it were that simple.

And anyway, it is extremely likely that the next big earthquake in Japan will be in "Somewhere not in Niigata". So those tensions could be building up to breaking point right under your house snowglider. Or maybe Indosnms house. Or anyone else here. I hope not, of course.

The Chuetsu region was not on the "danger list" before it happened, and I believe neither was Fukuoka. So they literally can and will happen almost anywhere in this country.

(Where is 135.750E, 34.506N - 61m by the way?!)

Pretty much the same area yes, can.

The floods last year were Nagaoka>Sanjo.

The earthquake was Nagaoka>Ojiya region.

The especially heavy snow was that Ojiya region.

The floods last week were Kashiwazaki>Nagaoka.

The earthquake the other week was a bit to the west of Nagaoka.

All in the same region of Chuetsu right in the middle of the prefecture....! Mad or what?!

Imagine how happy I was to have my town pointed out on that program to be "the most dangerous in Japan" for trunamis! eek.gif It seems if the big one arrives I'll be washed away.

What did that guy at the very end said about predicting when the big Tokyo one is due - did he say 6-12 months from now or 6-12 months from when strange things start to happen?

Actually it was "a few months to 12 months from now". Signs appearing include strange big-eyed fish appearing that usually don't, lots of strange clouds, and a few other things I forgot (sorry).

I watched some of that. The dramatic music going on almost constantly when the tarento were not oohing and ahing gave me a headache.

In a normal documentary that 2 hours could be covered in 20 minutes if you took all the crap, repeated bits and ads out.

• 5 months later...

Chuetsu area of Niigata wasn't supposed to be this big one waiting to happen as far as I'm aware, but look what happened last October.

There's another earthquake special on tv on Friday I heard....