The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

There's a flag up there

"Huyton Fatties"

Is that you scouser? It's either you or one of the other 40 people in the stadium

lol.gif

The fuss and importance they are putting on this is just ludicrous. People who know no better will take it all in as well.... wakaranai.gif

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good win, yes - hardly the most difficult of teams though. Good to see a Stevie G special as well. \:\)

That stadium is big. There were (I heard) about 40,000 people in there and it still looked sadly empty in many places. Trying to get tickets for the final today as well.

Don't worry scouser, if you lose this game you will still be the "2nd best team on the planet". ;\)

Found this in the Guardian today and had a larf. About Newcastle:

--

You must excuse Alan, he's just being manly

Are Newcastle the gayest club in the Premiership?

This was the team that was implicated in allegations of roasting, if you recall, where some poor girl finds herself the unfortunate instrument of footballers' desire to watch each other having sex.

Now Graeme Souness has described Alan Shearer as someone who plays football in the most manly way imaginable. Manly is not a very manly word, nor even a very football word, but it is quite a good euphemism. After all the Newcastle manager can hardly describe his own captain as dirty, niggly or provocative, which are the words the rest of the country uses about the Shearer style each week.

Only on the BBC is similar respect accorded to the former England captain, and even Match of the Day last week suggested as politely as possible that Shearer was lucky not to be booked earlier than the final minute against Arsenal. A smirking Shearer actually said that justice might have been done when he was cautioned at the end.

Tell that to the dismissed Gilberto, or Arsene Wenger, who described Shearer's yellow card as 'cosmetic'. Or Middlesbrough's Chris Riggott, two cards in five minutes for powder-puff challenges at Anfield on the same day. Consistency is a hard thing for different referees in different matches to get right, but if the level of aggro to be tolerated these days means Gilberto and Riggott both had to go off, it is hard to understand how Shearer ever stays on.

But don't worry, he's only playing the game in a manly way. Ask Justin Whittle at Grimsby, the ex-Army defender who annoyed Shearer with a few manly tricks of his own. Or ask Sol Campbell. Not just about the foul last week, but about the night in St Etienne seven years ago, when a perfectly good winning goal against Argentina was chalked off because of Shearer 's manly football.

2nd best team on the planet hey? The first being San Paulo of course ;\)

I managed to get a seat in the final as well. It was a pretty good atmosphere lots of Japanese "adopted scousers" eek.gif around.

Shame about the result. One of those disallowed was most definitely not offside, but what can you do?

Glad to hear you had a good time scouser. I thought you played the better, but it's the goals that count. (Tell me about it!)

Hey, isn't Gerrard himself from Huyton?

Funny that 2pints. lol.gif

I can't believe we are 20 pts behind Chelsea. It's frankly embarrassing.

You went to the games scouser? You should have won that, but you were beat by the best team in the world - don't forget that ;\)

Part for sure. There's just a few general problems right now. \:\(

Anyshow I see Thug Bowyer got red-carded again last night. What's that the 4th time this season? He's a nutta, im.

Seems little mick got a bad reception as well. From the beeb:

"Instead, certain pockets of the Merseyside club's support chanted 'Where were you in Istanbul?' and 'You should have joined a big club', as Owen rarely got a touch, let alone a chance." confused.gif

One of the main England players was almost bound to get an injury like this. Luckily it seems early enough to get a recovery in time. Too bad for Newcastle.

I see we won again last night. ;\) I almost hope we do lost a game or two to make the last few months of the Premiership a bit more exciting, though with United and Liverpool (last night) dropping points here and there, it's difficult to see that happening.

I woke up early this morning (didn't intend to) and remembered the Arsenal United game was on so caught a bit of that. They mostly forgot to take their handbags and pizza this time, a few times it looked like it might spark off.

Guardian calls it "Old enemies fire only blanks in battle of also-rans"..... harsh! lol.gif

I got up to watch it as well.... one of those games when you almost knew from the first few minutes it was going to be goal-less. Frustrating.

Got to give it to Chelsea though - they are doing pretty amazing week after week after week.

Looks like the Premiership excitement will come for 2nd place with United & Liverpool, hey scouser? ;\)

But what happened to Wigan? ;\)

I don't watch every week and haven't seen Chelsea play for a long while but are they exciting to watch?

There was an article somewhere I read about football being "the most exciting" sport or something, but they balanced that with saying it had become less so over the last decade.