The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so, I want him to stay. Has to be said though at times when things don't seem to be going his way he gets a bit stroppy and it shows.

Roy Keane and Fergie were best buddies until recently weren't they....?

Didn't watch it (don't even know if it was on anywhere) but an entertaining game apparently.

Guardian has it down as "another good England performance".

So... how was it peeps who watched?

pretty boring.

Joe Cole was awesome.

Jermaine Jenas was useless and just stood around watching the game.

Wayne Bridge took a knock.

Rio Ferdinand made quite a few mistakes.

The uruguayainites were getting a bit excited, they kept trying to start fights and one of the shoved the ref twice \:o

Interesting one this:

Ashley Cole's solicitor has demanded to know why Google are linking his client with the word 'gay' in their internet search results.

If you type 'Ashley Cole' into Google, the service brings up the option 'See results for: Ashley Cole gay.'

It is not known whether the high volume of searches for 'Ashley Cole gay' is the explanation or whether there has been an editorial decision to suggest the word 'gay' when someone searches for 'Ashley Cole'.

Cole has brought a libel action against the News of the World and The Sun over stories about allegedly bisexual but unnamed Premiership players.

Although he was not named in the stories, Cole's solicitor Graham Shear will claim that juxtaposition of stories about his client sparked internet rumours that Cole was one of the footballers involved.

Shear has now asked Google to explain this anomaly with their search engine, telling pinknews.co.uk: "I am keen to find out whether the decision to automatically include the term ‘gay’ to the keyword ‘Ashley Cole’ was an editorial decision or one made by a computer based on the volume of searches for ‘Ashley Cole’ linked to the word ‘gay’.

"I would be interested in when and what prompted this and whether the process started since we launched the cases against the News of the World and The Sun or before."

It has also emerged that Choice FM DJ Ian Thompson, known as Masterstepz, is suing the News of the World and The Sun for defamation.

Although he was not named in the stories, solicitors will claim that a pixellated picture of Thompson and Cole was used to illustrate the article.

Meanwhile; the Daily Mail claims that Cole has been ruled out of action for the next six weeks, putting his participation in the World Cup in serious doubt.

Just tried this and sure enough is suggests 'ashley cole gay' results.

Ive looked into this a bit more, trying to find other search terms that will lead to such a link.

I tried searching for other famous people/things that have been in the news the past few days (Ian Thorpe, Ali Farka Toure, Crash, Oscars, Dana Reeve, reese witherspoon) and none of those resulted in such a suggestion. This makes me think its an editorial thing.

What a shame, 2pints.... yous be out! ;\)

"We have not seen two games where we had 11 players versus 11, so we have not seen Barcelona win against 11 - that's all I can say," said Mourinho.

Jose is getting more and more annoying and laughable by the day.

yes he is a joke.

he was asked after the game, first question, 'did the better team win?' and he paused before saying 'no' and struggling to think of a reason why. The guy has zero humility and is no role model. Most of the time when they lose they dont even attend the post-game interviews. Sore losers, whingers and moaners, glad they are out.

Lawro on Mourinho:

"Even after the game, saying Barca hadn't beaten them 11 versus 11 - sometimes you should just hold your hands up and say you've lost to the best team in Europe. There's no disgrace in that. People would think more of him if he did that."

Couldn't agree more.

I'm annoyed I got up to watch the Liverpool game now. They were just rubbish. Whats with the team selection? confused.gif Where was the passion? Even Stevie G was below par. They didn't deserve to win.

On the other hand I heard the Arsenal/Real game was more exciting.

Jose is the luckiest man in football. He's had loads of money to play with what was already a strong team. Ranieri did most of the work building the spine, and had Cech on the way when he was sacked. He was burned with Mutu and Veron, but he made some good buys. Ironically, it was curtains for Ranieri at a much later stage in the CL, the semi they lost to 10 men at Monaco. With a bit more luck, they could easily have won that game. They fluffed loads of chances and then some Morientes brilliance and duff goalkeeping cost them. The press destroyed Tinkerman for that game. Coincidently, Ron Atkinson lost his job there too with his "stupid black bastard" comments.

It's shame about Liverpool. If anything, they've got a stronger side than last year. I don't see them that much, but I reckon Crouchy gives more to the side than Cisse or Morientes. Neither of them looks deadly enough for a play off a big man. If Rafa or one of the big lads can shut him up, they could do worse than try Craig Bellamy.

Crouch looks ok, I think hes doing alright.

Cisse isnt being given a chance - he is on the bench most of the time, or played as a right winger. He has missed a few sitters though lately.

Morientes is living on reputation, he doesnt look dangerous at all.

Fowler I suspect is well passed it. Even in his last year at Liverpool he was poor and I was happy he left. Maybe he will prove me wrong this year though, I hope so.

I think we may see Owen back at Anfield this summer for about 12 - 14m or a swap deal, I think we are going to have to just eat humble pie on this one. Maybe Newcastle will accept Cisse in exchange. Souness is gone, Shearer will probably retire, it gives Owen enough excuses to weasle out like he did to us the sly little bugger.

On a brighter note Warnock looked good last night. Finnan has been great lately but for me he was at fault for the 1st goal (along with carragher obviously).

I watched that just now. Booooooring.

Having said that they have now beaten United and Liverpool. But the team that gets them in the next draw will be well pleased.

Shocking it was, I'm afraid.

I'm with scouser - Crouch was totally useless with his Bambi on Ice routine, Morientez is always useless.

Where's the decent strikers out there? confused.gif

Damning fact - our strikers have not scored once THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!