The FOOTBALL Thread (2005-2006)

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or go the other way.

It seems his old teammates got a bit of a thrashing earlier this morning. "Everton's Uefa Cup hopes lie in tatters after a heavy first round, first leg defeat to Dinamo Bucuresti."

Brains. It is not the first word people associate with Wayne Rooney, but it is the one I go for straight away. Rooney has a phenomenal football brain and to have that degree of intuition in one aspect of your life would be enough for most folk; they would be considered a genius in their chosen profession and left alone.

But Rooney is a footballer, therefore he not only has to have a brilliant aptitude for the game, he has to be able to speak about it eloquently and he has to be a "role model" at all times. Give the lad a break. Not so long ago he was probably being scolded by his PE teacher for being cheeky in a playground. Now he is on continent-wide television being sent off, not for a bad tackle, not for hurting an opponent, but for making a sarcastic gesture to a referee who will never give the sport a millionth of what Rooney will give it.

First things first: Rooney was the victim of an injustice in Spain on Wednesday. I do not believe his initial tackle was worthy of the yellow card shown by the referee Kim Milton Nielsen. But his ironic handclap reaction was another matter and let's say, taken together, the two actions justified one yellow card. But a better referee than the pedantic Nielsen would have then taken him to one side and given him a warning. Had Rooney responded then yesterday morning we would not have had the "Wayniac" and "Wayne Looney" headlines.

Rooney will have seen those headlines and felt hurt but in the long run the pain may do him good. I do not find it difficult to defend him because he is the sort of talent our game needs so badly, an exquisite player with the extra dimension. Think of his volley against Newcastle last year and it makes you feel good about football. That memory will live longer than handclaps or outbursts - the good in Rooney far outweighs the bad.

He is in the midst of a harsh learning process where he is discovering that his view of the world does not always chime with a referee's, or anyone else's. He is, after all, a teenager. But in 38 days' time he will not have that in his defence and, as all teenagers sooner or later realise, there is a world out there. It is not a world where honest endeavour is always rewarded honestly.

As Sir Alex Ferguson said, Rooney must not lose his innate aggression, but he must learn to be smarter about its application. For example, can there ever have been a tougher forward than Alan Shearer? But he knew and knows how to win free-kicks even when it is him doing the fouling.

I remember Jimmy Case was similar. Case would hit you hard but he would always pull you to your feet, pat your back and make the ref feel as if the foul was nowhere near as bad as it was. Steve Bruce was another hard player who was good at buttering up the referee. Such behaviour sounds disingenuous but if it means that you win a few extra free-kicks, or get a yellow card when maybe you deserved a red one, then it is a worthwhile trick to master. At the minute Rooney is like a craftsman who does not know his craft entirely.

But he will. He will see that when he watches Manchester United and England games from the stand. Football is all about participating, knowing that you can shape a match's outcome. Sitting in the stands is no good to anyone.

Having been sent off once, I know that my form suffered in its aftermath. I learnt that the energy spent antagonising referees was wasted energy. Rooney will learn that, in time. Meanwhile, less of the Wayniac, and do not belittle him because his maturity as a man is yet to equal his ability as a footballer.

Any predictions for tomorrow night scouser? I think it might be tight. Really bad news about Heinze, out for most of the season. He is really good.

Well I wasn't expecting a goalfest. And we didn't get one. We got an exciting game though, one I think we dominated for the best part.... \:\) Chelsea will have been happiest with that result.

Goes to show you don't need hundreds of goals to make a good game.

Already slipping slipping behind. \:\( And Keane out for 2 months as well. What it is with us and injuries. wakaranai.gif

This made me laugh:

"Manchester City played pre-recorded crowd chants during Sunday's home game against Bolton in a bid to improve the atmosphere. (Daily Mirror)"

Your luck has to end soon. Beating Wigan in the last minute on that first day of the season was cruel.

Isn't Nakata at Bolton a loan deal? The only problem I have with that is if coverage of Bolton games on Sky pushes out Pool games. mad.gif

Nightmare indeed.

Well it seems the goal against Chelsea wuz got, but not good enough. Hard to stomach that they're already so far ahead. And what they heck are Charlton doing up there. And West Ham?!? \:\(

I wish I could watch that on my tv, but I don't get the rip off CL set. They might repeat it on Sky Sports though in a few days as they sometimes do.

Hope Liverpool win.

Got up this morning to watch the Liverpool Chelsea 'replay' hoping for a good start to the week. Getting beat 1-4 at Anfield to Chelsea is not good. A bad start to the week indeed.

Often wondered where that started.

A dream day for the boys and girls who go out there though. The son of a friend of mine walked out with Stevie G at Anfield last year and it made his year.

I seem to remember something about it being 'psychological' - holding hands with a child as you walk onto the pitch will suppress your innate savagery and cause you to play a little more like a gentleman. Of course it's a big boost for the kids who get to walk out too.

But ... it's still cissy.