I have a hard enough time getting cards out to my family back home. I certainly dont do them for coworkers but maybe every other year or so do them for my friends. Id rather just buy them a beer and speak with my Japanese friends than send a card. A custom I dont get into... anybody else do them?

Yeah, right on Ocean, and you're winning the next lottery too, and U.N. the inspectors aren't going to find anything in Iraq and the global recession has just ended and......

Doesn't take much to set me off dreaming!

Can anyone clear up the "before 15th Jan" rule to me. I heard that if you get a card from someone you 'forgot about' (or similar), you have until 15th Jan to send back a card to them. Anyone shed any light on this or correct me?

Big Shogatsu is untill Jan 7 (the day people eat Nanakusa gayu) and small shogatsu is untill 15 ( the day you have fire festival). Make sense??

Normally people don't write nengajo after 7th. It's too late, I think.

• 10 months later...

send to my students at my own school and customers from my other jobs. Maybe under 10 to a few J friends. Some crew go over the top, like a comp to see how many they can send & get back.. 500? I don't even know that many people!