Not the same.

Fast food is when you buy food at a counter and you take it yourself to a table or outside to eat, instead of being served at your table in normal restaurants.

Junk food is food which is considered not healthy because they contain too much oil (deep fried food) or too much preservatives or spices (like MSG). So McDonald's and KFC are considered junk food as well as fast food. However, normal restaurants can also serve junk food, and fast food shops can also serve food, such as salad or a tuna sandwich, which is not junk food.

i don't know if eating it reminds me of home or what, but i am a total junk food addict here. i went thru a major pringles phase a while back. i actually almost cried when i found the limited edition international flavors (cheese and onion, salt and vinegar, etc) at my local 7-11. i also eat a lot of fast food here, too. if they just had good dill pickles here, i could satisfy my salt craving more healthfully.

I eat my share of junk food, including everything required to satisfy my sweet tooth. It always draws the "amai mono suki da ne" comments from my japanese friends. There's this whole weird food gender association thing that goes on in japan, so I guess it's "not cool" for a guy to eat sweet stuff. I say bring on the sweets!

Yeah, I agree! Sweets after every meal.

Not only do I get that 'Oh, so you like sweet stuff too!' line, I get it especially after I've said for the 5th time that I CAN drink sake and indeed do so in my free time. (And one of these days when I go into some local sake store, buy my 1.8 l bottle and they say "Do you like sake?", I'm going to say "No, I use it to clean my bathroom.")

I don't class chocolate, sweet bread, ice-cream and puddings as junk food, but I can't stand chewing gum with sugar in it, and sweets that just contain sugar and flavouring.

Apart from the sweets, I don't eat any junk food. I find the salt levels and fat in it alarming.

I eat waaay more junk food here. I attribute it to the fact that there arent many healthy alternatives like muslei bars or stuff that actually makes a dent in your hunger.

Also at work its bad to bring your own food so for morning and afternoon tea there is only crappy chocolates, biscuts and senbe that although taste sooo good you could eat a whole bag and not feel much less hungry, just sick :p

i totally eat more junkfood in japan. maybe cos there's always a wall of junkfood choice whenever u walk into the 7-11.

hey nekobi,

there's international flavours for pringles? where did u see those?

mrsparkle,

didn't u know? if u don't eat dark chocolate nobody will ever want to marry u. get sum men's pocky into u and save yourself sum serious social stigma \:\) \:\) ;\) ...awesum...four s starting words in a row... :p

dokumanju- it was last winter when they brought out the international flavored pringles. it was US-bbq, UK-salt&vinegar, france-cheese&onion, korea-hot&spicy or spicy bbq or something. italy was had a cheese flavor i think and i can't remember what other countries were represented- maybe germany too? i've seen bbq pringles in the store lately, but man, those salt and vinegar ones were tasty. my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

im pretty sure everything the school cafeteria serves can be classified as msg, lard infested junk food. not your classical junk food, but probably a hundred times worse.

i dont buy much junk food due to lack of monetary funds. Except indo-mee, if you can consider that junky.

indo mee is instant mee goreng (indonesian noodles) its full of msg and salt and all that sort of stuff. could probably send you into cardiac arrest.

its cheap and easy to make, both of which are a students best friend.

have u ever tried putting a potato chip on the BBQ? just watch the grease bubble out, it's amazing how much grease they can squeeze into one chip. it's like the chip is fat suspended in starch. sad to say, it doesn't stop me from eating them tho.

hey amandanism - indo mee...that stuff is awesum, the king of instant noodles. \:\)

mmm... i missed this topic when it came up...

im lost,

junk food is like... chocolates, chips (crisps), paddle pops, magnums, lollies - skittles, CCs, twisties, popcorn, pringles, pocky, tiny teddys.... and so on...

Fast food yeah maccas and kfc pizza hut etc, not classified as junk cause fast food is its whole own catogory... i donno dont quote me but i dont think there is a healthy fast food!!

The only thing i found in japan to eat that wasnt junk food was yoghut and cheeses and crackers and noodles, alot of the other snacks were very junkie...?!

i bet thats made u all hungry!