I'm going to Nozawa this coming weekend for maybe my last stint of the season, unless I go up to Kagura later on.

Many other people still going out there, or have we finished for the season?

Last? Hakkoda this weekend, geto and Appi for a few more weeks (read 5) of park fun then its back to hakkoda for camping ski fun a trip to Chokai san and maby a trip or 2 to gassan.

The season isnt over its just entering a new phase. (and i have nothing to do in summer so I have to make it last as long as poss)

I dont know - I have never done it. If its too bad I will retreat to my van. I might be able to camp lower down someware where there is no snow - I dont know yet. But there will be BBQ ....mmmm BBQ

Theres still plenty of life in the season yet. Went for my first backcountry trip last weekend. Some great stuff to be had...

Jared, if you and Shimba need a place to dry gear while at Hakkoda, give me a bell.

Quote:
Originally posted by jared:
I dont know - I have never done it. If its too bad I will retreat to my van. I might be able to camp lower down someware where there is no snow - I dont know yet. But there will be BBQ ....mmmm BBQ
jared, just make sure to have a sleeping pad. The Thermorests work great. Sleeping directly on the snow, even with the tent and your sleeping bag between you, is the fastest way to get cold. You need a true insulating layer or you will freeze your ass off.

I've done a ton of snow camping in both the winter and the summer so I have a little experience. Main thing is to have an extra set of socks, long johns, underwear, etc... Your outerwear should be just fine. Have fun!

---on the topic, I may hit Hakkoda up one or two more times this spring for the bc skiing. Just have to see how the knee is feeling. I'm pretty ready to start surfing again though.

I had a great weekend at Alts Bandai. Good company and fantastic weather. Not a bad park there so I had fun learning how to slide boxes and hitting the big one make. Call me crazy but I don't mind the odd slushy run either, sending slush fans into the trees. I now have a mean google tan though.

All good but maybe my last time boarding in Japan. \:\(

It was so good while it lasted and I feel blessed.

I am seriously thinking about closing my Japan chapter with a Fuji run. What excuse do I have for not doing it? With the correct prep & equipment and accompanying experienced guide the mountain It is pretty much just down the road, ready to go. It would be a great thing to have in your book of life experiences.

I'm hitting Teine Highland and Kiroro this weekend and just checked the "most snow" league tables. Kiroro is at the top again with 20cm of freshies and more snow forecast for most of the rest of this week. Great!

But Gassan is more like a spring ski Mecca according to my Japanese friends. Thing you have to do at least once.

The other one is Hakkoda which, according to Yuichiro Miura, the local ski legend and 'The man who skied down Mt. Everest', is the most beautiful place in the world to ski in spring.