When I go back to family (US) I'm always shocked at how many seriously oversized people there are. And wonder how on earth they let themselves get that way.

I think it hits home more because of where I live now (here) with generally small people to start off with.

I get the same feeling when I go back home to the UK. I was surprised on going to the US for a holiday how much more worse it is there than the UK (but the UK seems to be trying to catch up).

Some people can't help it of course, but lots can - they just eat way too much, and way too much food that isn't good for them

I just got back from LA and I couldnt believe how big the portions were over there!

I ordered a medium coffee and recieved like a litre of coffee.

Loads of crappy junk food restaurants.

aint it the truth...

the state I am from is Wisconsin

we are the fatest state in the union

we are also the heaviest drinkers in the union

we are also America's Dairyland...lots of cheese!

we also have lots of germans/poles so lots of sausages and saurkraut (liberty cabbage \:D )...

I was in complete shock when i was there to visit last year...absolute shock...

danz

When I went back to England at Christmas, I visited Sainsbury's for some tourism, and I was amazed at the sweet section in there. It was so 'American style'. A floor to ceiling alley of huge bags of chocolate and god-knows-what shit, all in bright purple and orange colours, and all labeled 'extra-large' and 'BIG SIZE'. The new big size Mars Bars would probably be enough to kill a small dog.

There were quite a lot of podgy people about, but not noticeably more than when I used to live there.

The healthier food in Japan may be a bit 'jimi' in many ways, but I'm thankful for it. I may escape heart attack long enough to die in an avalanche when I'm 75.

The 2 times I've been to Guam I've been quite revolted by the size of the portions I've been served. Great mountains of pasta with gopping sauce, and buckets of ice-cream. I can understand the urge to offer value, but not so's it kills you.

I was horrified when I went to Hawaii last year and saw all these white blubbery people lolling around on the sand. It really was gross (but made me feel a lot better in my swimsuit!) and when we went out to dinner we saw why, HUGE servings of everything and big dollops of butter, sour cream, desserts, suggary drinks, no one really walking anywhere eurghhhh.

Strangely enough though all 3 of us that went lost weight. We binged alcohol something chronic and ate a lot of subs but I lost 2 kg and my mate lost 3 in the space of a week. Something about Japan for both of us that made us put on 2 and 3kg respectively and havent been able to loose it until each time I go overseas. Its really strange. I have heard somewhere, although it is probably ignorant people making up bollocks, that its something to do with enzymes or something that westerners have over time developed the enzymes for spuds and bread while Japanese people have the enzymes for rice thus can break it down effectively. Im open for discussion

granted...US portions can be pretty large...

but I was suprised when I first came to Nippon..

I mean, a bowl of ramen is not exactly what I would call a small meal...throw in some rice and gyoza and I can't finish it, yet I see japanese scarfing that stuff down like its nothing...oomori here is huge, and lets not forget all the fried food here...

I honestly believe that gram for gram the avg. japanese could out eat the avg. american...hands down no contest...

danz

You're kidding me, right? No way!

I was watching the Jerry Springer show last night too, and noticed how you have to be obese to get on there. Some BIG people around.

Agree with you there Danz. And there are hardly any low fat options here. Most things are plastered with greasy mayo and there are very few filling, non-fried, healthy alternatives you can order. I miss the healthy cafe food from back home, a nice vegge quiche, a grilled vege salad, a berry smoothie. oooh I cant wait

What got me last year was the increase in belly button showing "babes". Well, that was the intention I think, but with all the blubber hanging out - what a terrible sight! What ARE they thinking?

You are right Danz, the world gluttony champ is a skinny Japanese kid who smoked the blubbery lard asses of American pie eating champs. This kid is phenomemal. 50 hotdogs and buns in 12mins...thats right folks 50! the fat porky Ameros couldnt keep up, the fat around their stomachs cant expand like the muscle of this 60kg kid

http://www.sushicam.com/Journal%20entries/010706.htm

eek2.gif

the truth is that obesity is a far larger threat to general american well-being than terrorism could ever be. maybe more effort could directed into building a healthier nation (and not just in the US) rather than bombing hungry people.

when travelling in vietnam i was thankful im not fat, cos i dont think i couldve lived with myself if i was.

Britney was on Japanese TV (Downtown) the other day with her gut hanging out as usual, and it's quite the reg'lar American-size gut these days. I think mine may be marginally smaller, and I'm not given to showing mine off.