Yeah, lots of old hunters have them in the sticks. I wish I had a couple. I like guns.

I saw a video from a Japanese news program once about a herd of wild boars that were causing damage to crops in some inaka village. All the old boys had gathered with their guns and orange vests and were smoking tabs while a reporter was standing on a grassy slope explaining the whole setup. Suddenly on cue the herd of boars appeared and started charging across the slope. The old geezers spit out their tabs, whip out their guns, and start capping away like the blazes. And there's the reporter, right in the middle of it all, dodging the terrible furry monsters, and there are wild pigs dropping dead within inches of him, and the hunters are just shooting with no discipline at all.

I still remember it vividly, but I bet every night when that reporter gets into bed and turns out the light, he smells the whiff of the old boys' baccy...

Quote:
Originally posted by HoTRoD:
The less guns, the better.
absolutely, pistols should be banned , except under extremely strict criteria, eg police and pistol club shooting(low calibre).
To get a pistol licence in NZ requires unbelievably tight rules, the pistol must be locked up at the pistol club, you need a special licence etc. There is no need for pistols, you cant hunt game with them , they only kill people.

SemiAutomatic weapons should be banned, except by collectors under strict conditions again.

Only target rifles,shotguns and hunting rifles for game should be allowed, there is no reason for any anyhting else. There should be strict licences for everyone.

My dad is a firearms licence officer back home, he lives in a rural area so many need rifles to control vermin, also Duck Hunting is almost a religion in May, others enjoy big game hunting.
But there are very rare cases of firearms deaths, a few hunting accidents only, far far fewer than car accidents, cycle accidents, etc etc. places like this can justify owning firearms there is a genuine need for them. Gangsters in LA or NY dont need firearms ie pistols it is absolutely ludicrous and evil.

Anyone seen "Bowling for columbine"? that movie is SCARY, there are some scary American poeple out there desparately clinging to their right to bear arms. Sorry to American posters on this forum, I am not trying to attack you guys personally, but some of your countrymen are terrifying in their thoughts.

I have yet to see Bowling for Columbine, but the sad truth is, for good people living in American cities, guns are a neccessary evil.

People will enter your house and rob you unless you have a gun, and make it known. If the theives and gangsters (with ir without guns of their own) know that they can enter your house without fear of getting shot, they will. If they know you have a gun, they won`t.

Of course it`s a vicious cycle, blah blah blah, but people are thinking about how they can protect their families. And yeah I`m aware of the fact that children find guns and of the resulting associated problems. But stats show that guns save more lives than they destroy.

America makes too much money off of guns to solve the problem. The NRA has too much power. The companies know that they make a ton of money off the streets. (they dont sell it directly but what goes around comes around). In Canada you cant buy a gun until you get a licence. They are not easy to get compared with the states. Hand guns are to be kept in lock boxes and transported that way.

I once or twice went wild pig hunting with bow and arrow. We had very powerful equipment, but I still felt that the odds were not necasarily in mans favour on these outings. We did carry a shot gun to blast the pigs head off if it charged us after (or before) we hit it with an arrow. We never needed this safety net.

I like the fact that Japan is not littered with gun carrying loonies. I think that the Japanese should be proud of that fact and other countries should look and learn.

pigapple.jpg

a cute aussie pig enjoying a picnic, before db tries to orphan his littleones. :p

and on antonios line, how does one let the crims know u have a gun? signs on the windows? take out an ad in the local rag? wander thru the hood rotating your side arm on your trigger finger? leave the box out the front???

zooki - your pig piccy doesnt seem to work in my browser.

Antonio - for statistics on the benefit of guns, refer to the NRA!!

As for 'the right the bare arms'. To me it is one of the weirdest rights ever bestowed on the people of a country.

Bowling for Columbine is very good. Well worth making the effort to go and see it. I'm not sure if it will ever surface in the local video rental store so maybe the cinema is the only time it will be avalable in japan. Whatever, just go and see it.

The doco raises some pretty interesting questions but ultimately and despite all the hype about guns, it seemed to be more about the general craziness of American culture which manifests itself so obviously in the Amercian love of using guns against each other. Apparantly Canada has something like 7mill guns but has gun homicide rates comparable to the UK, Aust and NZ all of which have a couple of hundered gun murders a year (or a lot less in the case of NZ) whilst the US has over 11,000.

Barok, mate, exactly how many times did you fall on your head in the board park this year?

"stats show that guns save more lives than they destroy"

I expect that most people who come from countries where gun control is very strict, would find such a statement incomprehensible.

Handguns should be tightly controlled for sure as killing another person is all they're good for. I hate to think how many more people would die in NZ if they people were freely allowed to own them (let alone walked around with them concealed). People are aggro enough as it is, and it's easy to see how the gun would replace the fist as a weapon of choice quickly.

On the subject of guns in Japan my wife's father used to go hunting for pigs and other animals and kept a number of rifles strictly locked up. I've also seen the effect of handguns on people first hand right here in Umeda,Osaka.

One afternoon I was walking to work in the Dai-san building when I heard what I assumed to be firecrackers. I could see a big crowd gathering outside the entrance of the building and I ran up to see two guys lying on the ground. I noticed that one guys chest was covered in blood-one of those old grandad security guys was running around freaking out and the crowd were excited, with a lot of people giggling nervously. It was pretty strange and for a second I thought it was for TV or a movie.

I decided not to stick around and went up to work where people looked at me pretty strangely when I told the story. My students thought I was lying until they saw the police running around outside wearing steel helmets/bullet-proof vests and carrying semi-automatic weapons.

Apparently it was a Yakuza hit on a "real estate" guy. The very-dead men out the front of my workplace were the "real estate" guy and one of two hitmen. The guys bodyguard returned fire as the hitmen shot his boss. Both the surviving hitman and the bodyguard took off, and as far as I know remain at large.

And that's what handguns are for.

I think there may be statistics available to support what barok says. But they only apply to the US where the situation has been allowed to get out of hand. They do not represent an argument for doing away with gun restrictions in civilized countries

yes, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a threshold of gun problems where by once society had passed the threshold, it was better to have a gun than not (ie, guns would start protecting life). However, that approach will never solve the problem, it would only get worse.

I feel for America and it's gun problem. It is a terrible state of affairs for such a modern/mature society.

This may be one of those very long threads where everyone has to eventually agree to disagree.

Presumably a society achieves a utopian level of gun ownership once everyone, for fear of being shot, is law abiding and respectful of the rights and property of others - too bad about the carnage inflicted on the society before it reaches that point. Given the comparative level of gun related deaths between societies with high levels of gun ownership and those with low levels of gun ownership (people in the US are roughly 10 times more likely to be killed by a gun than people in other western countries), it is pretty hard to conclude that the US is anywhere near the "gun threshold" , if such a thing actually exists.