Not withstanding the fact that it is pronounced miluku, I have a problem that appears isolated to me. I find the taste of Japanese milk to be fine. It works on my cereal without a hitch. However I find that it has a mild but very evident pong. It smells pungent and egg sandwich like. If you smelt it before drinking it, you would choose not to drink it just in case it was bad. Few people I ask seem to notice this pong.

Has anyone here smelt it before?

Definitely.

I used to hate milk, but miruku is fine. But one does often wonder who farted when the lip is first pulled down.

Can't understand all the foreign carping about how awful Japanese milk is...

i never smelt it so i dont know.

but i love the taste of it.

However, I heard it is allmade from powder and doesnt have any calcium in it. confused.gif I hope thats not true - anyone know the facts?

I know there was the snowbrand scandal last year - what was that again? or was it just meat?

I think there is something odd with the milk. When my GF arrived she became rather ill every day for weeks. We narrowed it down to milk. She cut out Japanese milk and was fine. She has since built up a tolerance and seldom fells ill after milk.

To me it tastes just fine. But the smell makes it hard to drink by the carton full (something I like to do, 1 litre a day).

noted the pong. agree that it still works. my number one drink - milk.

used to get a pint o' milk at a pub in scotland for 50p, not much more than local shop... and drinking it made u feel tough \:D

I have always found the miruku in Hokkaido to be sooooo rich and creamy..... prob the best milk i have ever had!! especially when its super cold!! ;\)

cant say i have ever noticed the stench confused.gif

At times there can be a smell - which I'm sure is related to the fat content. Full cream milk and the like are rare in "health" conscious Oz/States... these days, so I guess many western young'uns wouldn't know what unadulterated milk smells/tastes like. Also different pastures/feed can produce different smells/tastes. Often peoples Milk Allergies can be traced to the grasses fed to the cows. \:\)

You must be old SnowBF \:D Yeh, I guess it's still on sale, but most folks are drinking Skinny milk or some version I thought. Also the fat concentrations here are different. What is called your common daily low fat milk actually is 3.6% (my local milk anyway). I think the mere thought of that'd hardened the arteries of any self-confessed lo-fat Ozzie Milkie. I used to be a low fat milk fascist once, but now am on the side of flavour. However I try not to think too much about what other "goodies" are in the white stuff such as anti-biotics,dioxins.....?? \:\) Moo, Moo.