Before I came to Japan, I never really noticed it at all, ever. But I seem to be seeing black (or at least very dark colored) gums here in Japan. Very pretty faces, and sometimes nice teeth, but big smile and for some reason them there gums are not lovely pink colored but dark and... \:\(

What's with that then?

Yes, it is true. Many Japanese have black gums that very closely resemble the gums of a horse. They protrude when the unfortunate individual smiles and they just look revolting. Adding to this we have the flat bum syndrome, the daikon-ashi syndrome and also the deppa syndrome. What a mess!

The "deppa syndrome" is my name for the phenomenon you see in Japanese women where they may have a beautiful face and skin and even a super HOT body... but when they open their mouth and give you a nice cheesy grin their teeth are a complete and utter mess. Teeth sticking out, crossed over, teeth missing, rotten teeth and stained teeth... its just not a good look. Western orthodontists could make a FORTUNE if they got their act together over there and offered decent deals on braces and plates etc. What do you reckon Sparkley? Should we get that business going or what?

The dark gums are apparently a melanin thing - some folks have more of it than others.

One thing I've noticed with some Japanese people is that their teeth appear to be sticking out over their gums where they should be going into their gums. This makes it look as though they have somebody else's teeth in there. The teeth themselves are often very smooth and regular too. Is this just a bad replacement job I wonder...

Freak, in Japan the price of orthodontic work is maybe 5 times what it costs here. It might just well be worth their while to do a bit of work over there and undercut the Japanese orthodontists. Only super super rich people can afford braces in Japan and this would open up the market to middle class people all over Japan. It would also improve the quality of the Japanese women's smiles in general!

27 million otherwise attractive Japanese women are knitting their brows and pouting at YOU right now woywoy. They might even give you a gentle slap on the shoulder if you persist with that rudeness (all of them - you'll have a hell of bruise there when they've all swiped you gently).

Just wondering Ocean... but how did you come up with that figure of 27 million? I can imagine there being about that number of "otherwise attractive" Japanese women but still.

I took the population of Japan, halved it, and charitably assumed that all of them were reasonably pretty, even if they aren't. It never hurts if some tart you've never seen thinks you think she's attractive.

I love that lingering slap on the arm you get when you take the piss and they want to touch you but without actually bearing your children. \:D