• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ocean, why do you feel you have to ridicule those with views counter to your own. It doesn't make your own decisions in life any more or less valid, whether others believe in them or not. If you love kids, and feel life is incomplete without them, how about selling the virtues of being a father, not try to convince those not wanting children that they're some form of deviant.

From previous postings by many, traits in personal self-justification can be seen. We don't really want to get nasty though, do we?

So what are we missing, besides the satisfyingly egotistical self-promotion of, er, self... \:\)

It's purely a personal private decision.

To say that someone is some sort of freak if they don't want kids is just ridiculous and absurd.

When some crazy couples have huge litters of kids, and many times when they do not have the means to be able to do so properly - that to me is completely irresponsble and offensive. They should be stopped.

I have absolutely no interest in children at all, in fact they annoy me intensely for the most part - I really do not like kids. No.....thank.....you.

So I suppose it's tough shit on my genes! \:\)

Dogs and animals get my vote \:\)

I also think people should have to take a test to show suitability to be parents before they procreate - in the interests of mankind of course - and nobody should be allowed to have more than three offspring (especially thicko's).

Some people seem to forget that they were children once.

Personally I didn't much enjoy being a child as many people seemed to think child = moron. But I still remember how I thought as a child and there's a connection with how I think now.

Well, if you don't want to have children for whatever peculiar reasons you have manufactured out of your perversity, that's up to you. Just don't expect any respect for your decision from people who see some value in the whole process.

miteyak - being a father is challenging, interesting, and sometimes very rewarding. There, did I convince you?

"To say that someone is some sort of freak if they don't want kids is just ridiculous and absurd"

well Rodge, If you choose not to then you are an evolutionary oddity, which is just a nice way of saying freak of nature - I don't think this is an absurd or ridiculous thing to say - not an especially nice thing to say, but not ridiculous or absurd.

so what? so nothing, that's it.

Do I give a shit? I don't really know but I suspect that you might given your response.

Do you? No, I like it when I'm a little different from the rest of the herd, though I probably will procreate at some stage.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

There you go, proofread. You missed “evolutionary” and “probably” which were also both incorrect in the first edition.

So this lemming-like rush to the extinction of your own kind is perfectly reasonable, and our doubts about it are a laughing matter?

Interesting point of view...

Suicidal genes won't be much missed though.

The lemmings have to kill themselves en mass to save their 'tribe' from extinction. If they were developed, civilized, intelligent, they would use birth control... and so guarantee the survival of their species without the need for extreme measures...

O11, oh yes, I think i'll have a bash tonight... ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by dancing_barefoot:
I have absolutely no interest in children at all, in fact they annoy me intensely for the most part - I really do not like kids. No.....thank.....you.
Its really a shame your parents didnt think like that years ago and I wouldnt have to read your selfish drivel.
 Quote:
Dogs and animals get my vote
how pathetic

Quote:
and nobody should be allowed to have more than three offspring (especially thicko's).
Thats great pal, after the educated, selfish, materialistic yuppies, Gen X , grow old and die lonely the world will be populated with the offspring of 'thickos' a world of rednecks, bogans and trailer trash. What a sad world that will be.

I really am apalled at this forum, SJ the 'Selfish forum'. You people are more concerned with your own selfish pursuits and happiness to have the dedication, patience and committment and sacrifice to raise a family. Unbelievable. Seems like many thinks kids is a death sentence! christ almighty! sure its hard work but oh there are many joys that make a day in powder seem like nothing. Your childs first steps, first soccer goal, getting a school award......the pleasure goes on and on.
Dont want to have kids? Fine, Grow old and lonely and enjoy your Xmases alone and never have the joy of grand kids.
FAIL at the only task you or any other species has in the evolutionary scheme - procreation - continuing of the species.

I often disagree with O11 but the man is right. Yes he is a man, unlike the many little boys on this forum. Ocean stepped up to the plate.

i'm surprised at some of the emotion here, but i gotta say - those who remark that procreation is the dominant concern of any individual organism are definitely backed up by a vast quantity of evolutionary history...but seemed to have missed the point that humans have made a monumental step beyond this. as the human population places a heavy burden the integrity of the planet, and as we have the ability to recognise this, we may therefore exercise the option to remain childless and not not be freaks. u need to come to terms with being cognizant.

please consider the share of the worlds resources you use, and the living standards of the poorer 80% of people, before you start calling others selfish.

If you truly care that much about the planet, to not contribute to procreation then my friend your are a champion and bona fide matyr!!!!! outstanding (sounds like a cop out and insincerity of true intentions to me)

The world is not over populated its mismanaged. For example the entire world could stand on the Isle of Wight and be housed in single storey dwellings in England.

If pricks like Dubya gave a damn, they could begin to solve the mismanagement instead of looking for more oil in Alaska or Iraq......

We have fuel cell technology( stifled by Big Oil - the planet rapers) solar and wind technology that is under utelised and so on and so forth. Using these will have positve repercussions on the worlds resources. Go to Africa and throw your hat in the ring, help the poor, uneducated backward folk there.

Travel to India and work with the poor and help the programs to improve contraception use. That WOULD be a True way to help the cause. Simply pulling out of the game is not credible unless you back it up with tangible efforts.

Saying "I am saving the planet - no kids" is like pissing in the ocean, you prove nothing. Stop kidding yourself

To I_hate_cheese:

>> You people are more concerned with your own selfish pursuits and happiness to have the dedication, patience and committment and sacrifice to raise a family. Unbelievable.

100% correct. If you cant grasp the concept then it is your problem. I recommend that you do not get too upset over the fact as it will only detract from your happiness. Focus your energy on you family, not on my decision (by 'my' I refer to the no-kid collective).

It amazes me how the pro-kid types get so tied up by those of use who quite simply say we don't want them. The no-kid types see the pro-kidders and say "great, good on them, not for me". The pro-kidders get so agitated the moment I say "nope, don't want kids. I am too selfish" (I am, I admit it, and am proud that I know it and understand it).

As for the "you will be lonely when you grow old argument". Now that is selfish. Children as an insurance policy for support and company in your senile days?

Finally, proving your virility via breeding is stone age. There is more to being a human than breeding. My dog doesn't know this, he still tries to hump my leg. That reminds me, I had him de-sexed. I suppose he has been forced to fail as a breeding organism.

I am always smiling when I see a new family. It is a great sight and I am happy for the mother, father and children, particularly when they are a healthy family with good intentions for those closest to them. I don't doubt the joy derived from raising a family, and nor can I fully understand it. All the best to all the mothers and fathers reading this. And all the best to your children as well.

After thought:

>>Yes he is a man, unlike the many little boys on this forum.<<

Sounds like you are the little boy, mate. Only a boy needs to prove that his seed is potent to feel like a man.

to mister cheesehater.. ah ha, cunning, i like your response.

tis true that many do not make such a decision out of good will for the planet, and it is a weak argument. i had intended to suggest your examples as practical jobs for your good self, prior to distributing the selfish clause (i am in fact hoping to pursue something of this nature in the future), but again, would probably have been weak.

your isle of wight example though is a bit of an underestimation. a quick google search will tell u said isle is 380sqkm (380 million square metres) in area. this would give a world population (6bil) density of 16 people per square metre... a bit squeezy, and of no real relevance, well, to anything.

however, i stand by my point that we can justify the decision to remain childless given that it is a conscious decision. and state that the current environment is condusive to this. if, far into the future the race becomes threatened by low numbers, we can consciously choose to act to avoid subsequent problems.

i share your view of mismangement which is why i am not entirely hopeless for the future. but am lost as to the condemnation for choices made by others in a highly manipulated world.

>> You people are more concerned with your own selfish pursuits and happiness to have the dedication, patience and committment and sacrifice to raise a family. Unbelievable.

I just think some people simply do not want children, simple as that. Not because they've sat down and thought about all the selfish pursuits they want to take part in - -- - but just simply because they don't want kids. It's quite simple.