My mates and I over several pints the other night and lots of caughing were laughing at the schemes weve pulled and the loopholes weve found in Japan over the years. So, that got me thinking - whats the worst thing, that you will admit to \:o , that you have done in Japan? One of my worst/greatest, depending on your morals, was photocoping my mates Shinkanses Rail Pass at Kinkos (thank god for those stores) and used it for 3 weeks unlimited traveling!!! I saved over 30 Man for that stunt lol.gif . Just how naughty are you? \:D

I also exploited JR...when I first moved here. My buddy and I didn't have money but loved travelling. So we'd buy the cheapest ticket to get you onto the train (130yen) and when the ticket man came around or it was the final stop we'd just speak English really fast and pretend not to know what was going on...flash some US$$$ (not yen) and we'd get out free. I drive now...don't do it anymore but I probably saved a good 30 man-en too!

That's my naughty story. But I now work w/a JR salary man on occasion and I confessed to him. His reply cracked me up. He said that when he was a Uni student in Chicago..he did the same thing on the "L-train"...Chicago's subway/train (of course, in Nihongo).

Heres another one for ya - one more freebee. If you have to travel by train, whether you pay or your company pays, buy a set of the cheapest tickets just so you can get on the train and then buy a set of tickets from the stop before you get off. If you have to pay 520 yen one way and its 150 to get on and 150 to get off, you do the math. After many months/YEARS how much money would you save??! Id say several days on the mtn. lol.gif

But if everyone did that then JR would have to put up the price of tickets, and pay for tighter security to make sure people pay for the tickets (which would in turn make the tickets more expensive again).

Even though I have been guilty of doing this kind of thing myself from time to time, I think it is selfish behaviour like this that makes our society worse than it could be. Its not such a big step from this to petty shoplifting from big supermarkets etc etc. \:o

Take it easy Bobby!! You say you do it too...what's your point? (you've been steeling from the big supermarkets??? You're Klepto and can't stop??)

JR only recently became a private company..I don't think they've got a grip on their finances yet...could be over charging the seniors on their weekend outings, etc, etc... \:D I think they are also still subsidized by the national gov't..could be wrong.

Leads to Shoplifting? I haven't fealt the urge, personally. It's more like hitch hiking..." wave.gif you going that way?..let me hop on...."

Correct me where I'm wrong.

When I feeel JR is ripping me off by setting an unbalanced price then I get out and buy a new ticket too. I dont think thats a bad thing and they cant stop you. There are lots of people who say go from ie Katata to kyoto 400 yen then on to osaka 540 this added together makes 940 right. But if you dont get out at kyoto station you have to pay 1090. Thats a jip if Ive ever seen one.

I usally take my bike everywhere and my company pays the transport fee. I reckon I make an extra 200000 yen plus off not buying a tekki ken and regular daily transport. In my defense the train take between 30 to 40 minutes house to office and the bike takes between 20 to 30 minutes and I can shop on the way home.

Let me restate my point for you.

Even though I know cheating JR out of a few yen is wrong, I have done it myself from time to time. If everybody were to do this, then JR would have to raise their prices and thats not good. I dont shoplift - I am trying to say that the difference between shoplifting and skipping JR fares is one of degree not type.

What I am suggesting is that I think the world would be a much better place if everyone was trustworthy. Then less money could be spent on jobs that force people to do the right thing (police, security guards, train station attendants etc). I feel safer in Japan, because on the whole I feel people follow the law and ar emore considerate of others here. I enjoy not having to face tough security all the time. Of course, on the other hand this is a large area of employment, but still I think the world would be better if we could trust people to follow laws and agreements.

This is complicated discussion and I dont have time to explain fully what I mean to you. Hopefully you can see to some extent what I mean.

Bobby12 is right, cheating on your ticket is illegal and in no way different from taking any other product without paying for it.

I dont know about here, but in Britain it was a pretty serious legal infraction from which one would certainly incur a similar sentence to shop lifting.

On the price hike thing... it goes hand in hand with all the other tricks morally dubious characters are so proud about, like ripping off the insurance companies or faking the dole. Who's money are they taking? yours and mine, you can be damn sure the insurance companies aren't gonna loose a penny, and the govt, well, where exactly does one suppose they get THEIR money...

I cant see how you can charge over a dollar more for having to get off the train and get on a new one.

The Japanese train guides I checked broke down the price. 4 different cats one stay on JR dont get out.

take jr then take the subway and take hankyu.

next take jr get out get back on then pay this.

This was in Japanese. I dont steal besides ripping transportation fees from my company. I get what the company allows and ride my bike instead. The JR pricing is not transparent. The company in noway says why the price is more than 100 yen more unless you ask. If you ask you get so BS that changes depending on who you talk to.

When I started my job at a "large" company 6 years ago I got a loan for a few 1oo thousand. with that i bought an almosy brand new suzuki RMX 250 @ Y250,000 and by riding to work everyday I saved Y30,000 a month. That totalled my 12 x monthly payments thus in my view I got the company to pay for my bike!

Ripping off JR is such small fish, if only i could tell you half of my scams! wave.gif