So the irony doesn`t escape me as I look out the window and it is raining now.

But I gotta say, that so far, I am not impressed by the heat of the Japanese summer, or by the rain of the rainy season.

I`m not complaining, I mean who likes rain or oppressive heat all the time, but before I came to Japan, and all throughout the winter months, all I heard was rainy season this or crazy summer heat that.

It rains maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and usually rains hard only once. Last night it was cold. I went to bed with a sweatshirt on.

Everybody I have been asking about this for the past 6 weeks or so, they all say, Oooh, just wait until next week, I wait and am continuously unimpressed.

What gives ?

barok, it has been very mild so far for sure.

Perhaps you could read some of the other posts on the "rainy season". Again nothing to complain about!!

The real heat of the summer however is second half of July and August which is in front of us.

Lets hope you continue to not be impressed.....

\:D

It's a completely weird year weatherwise barok. The pow you enjoyed last winter wasn't exactly normal either. Usually there isn't pow in November, and usually it's hot and sticky by now. Believe me, I've been here 13 years, so I know the basic pattern. Some rainy seasons it hardly rains at all, others it rains nearly every day. This year is about average for rain.

As for what comes next, they're predicting that the next 2 months will be above averagely hot. But then they predicted that last winter would have not much snow...

barok you will eat your words.

I agree with the others. It is very mild for this time of year. Tokyo is never usually this pleasant in July.

Sit back, stock up on beers and wait for the heat to roll on in. IT WILL COME.

we've had a few primo days out this way in the last week. 30 degrees not too humid, i even burnt my feet walking down the shops, cos the weather was too nice to wear shoes.

and at the same time, it rained so hard on tuesday that the road outside flooded to a depth of 30cm in about 20 mins, but quickly receded as the rain slowed.

my biggest problem is the gf doesnt want to jump the barbed wire fence at the local high school pool for the odd evening dip. such an important item of recreation can really change your perspective on a season.

The other consideration would have to be Baroks location. From past vacations I recall midsummer not being unpleasant at all in Tohoku. Even in Osaka, I dont really mind when not in shirt and tie.

The real heat comes to the big central cities, Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Osaka... and it really is just around the corner for us...

Today...bit of a hottie... " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> (them aint tears)

this is crazy...

last night was, dare i say it, chilly !! eek.gif

had to close my windows and put on an extra blanket...

this is my 4th summer in japan, and by this time of year I am usually melting in a puddle of my own sweat...

but no complaints from me! as long as this keeps up until I go home for vacation, I will be happy! \:D

danz