I have a very small and totally not very appealing outdoors area at my back door. It is my Tokyo 'backyard'. It wasn't much, but it had some value.

There were bushy shrubs and small trees and some flowers. Two trees where high enough so that from my upstairs room (where I sit now) I could look out and see green. Butterflies and birds would come to the trees and my view of the ugly grey out next to me was somewhat blocked. I had privacy and a little respite from the ugliness of Tokyo suburbia.

No longer.

Today the owner had them trimmed, sorry, almost hacked to the ground. I now look directly into the upstairs rooms of the house opposite, and they into mine. The birds are gone.

My backyard wasn't much, but (whinge time) I find Tokyo so ugly that any little pocket of green that I can see outside my window is appreciated. Now I am forced to appreciate the greyness of cement and a total lack of privacy .

I concede the fact that a lot of Tokyo residents have a far worse set up than I, but that still doesn't make it any easier knowing that my greenery and privacy is now gone.

Who am I trying to kid, greenery, birds, bees, butterflies and a smidgin of privacy have no place in a concrete ant colony.

Yeh, they're pretty damn severe with their pruning here. That happened to me in a place I used to live, it was devastating. But the interesting thing is that they do usually come back quite strongly the following year. Not that's that any consolation of course.

im here (toronto) for the next four years...i live really downtown so there is next to no greenery. i can however see the cn tower from my window.

and i get my very own neighborhood ghetto and peeping tom across the street.

Yeah I once caught my landlady at my old place advancing with menacing flatfooted gait and shears at the ready towards one of my favourite bushes. I told her quite emphatically to cease and desist. Which she did, but when we went on holiday, she pruned it so savagely that it died.

Not that there wasn't any other greenery around of course, but it was a characterful bush.

I just wonder why these people don't have anything better to do than all this pointless and ugly cutting back. Why don't they just go wheelboarding or something more fun?

There used to be a lovely sakura tree near my house. It got chopped down earlier this year to make way for an advertising billboard, which now kindly tells me about the miso ramen at the new ramen shop in the town that I can have for 700 yen. mad.gif

Don't you just hate that. We have a neighbour back home in the UK that seems intent on pruning trees and bushes until they look like little sticks in the ground. Cue strained neighbourly relations. mad.gif

I don't have any trees, or garden for that matter, to be cut down or destroyed in the first place.

Lost one of the many trees (not bad for downtown) outside our balcony this spring, but that was the one that provided a ladder for the chap who burgled our apartment!

Osaka currently has the 'greening of Osaka' project underway. I have to say, the city is looking a lot greener now than for all the years i've been here. I'm sure the huge rainfall this summer has had a dramatic impact on that, though!

well bd 2 and a half years ago my backyard bush fence was hacked down I had know idea why. At the time i was building a rather large bbq out the back. after about 6 monthes of wondering what would happen to the empty land a construction company built 30 houses. now when I bbq the neighbours have to pull in the wash. also do to the extra amount of shading out the backyard the mosquitoes are a menace.

Well our neighbourhood is going the other way. We had about 100 new trees planted over the last few months and the park area has been given a once over. It looks really good, and the views have become much better from our rooms. \:\)

my friend had a lovely backyard garden with tons of basil and flowers growing. but her school came and chopped it all away til only dirt was left. \:\( by backyard is becoming a jungle- i dont have anything to cut the grass with and the mint is spreading like crazy!

A little sugar in that mint sauce and its a winner.

Otherwise mash it up in a glass with sugar, add lime juice, white rum, ice and top up the glass with soda. Et voila! the mojito, the real taste of Cuba.

You could send me some of that mint... I currently have to pay around 800 yen for enough mint to make 200 ml of mint sauce, that's when I can find the stuff at all. (no problems finding the lamb though, whole freezer full of the stuff \:D )