Slightly slacking off staff - what would you do? :)

I have 2 Japanese part timers working for me, and I'm sure one of them is slacking off a bit too much and wondering what to do about it.

Their work is ok, no real complaints, but a few small things get on my nerves.

Like when they go out of the office to do a work job like go to the post office or the bank, I think they sometimes go to the 7-11 as well (which is non work but in work time) and stuff like that....always seems to take more time than it should. Nothing major I know, but it just annoys me.

Just wondering how to go about this one. Whether to make a fuss or not, and if it's worth doing that.

What would you do? cool.gif

yeah, let 'em slack, nothing worse than a nazi boss.

7-11 ? What do they do - get food and drinks ? Ya Gotta have food and drinks.

If their work slips, you can get all tough, but if everything gets done, what is the problem ?

Looking busy is pointless. I always feel so bad for people like cashiers, etc. made to stand around in one place forever, as if hitting register keys while sitting down would somehow be inferior. In Japan it was Office Ladies shuffling papers, or cleaning the already spotless office just to a) look busy so as to B) avoid the truly unpleasant tasks - cleaning the bathrooms, etc.

I think I'm with Barok - If they get the work done to a satisfactory standerd then your still getting what you paid for. If you dont think your getting value for money then slip it into casual conversation and see what happens - It might be as simple as that.

Well, if they didn't take the 15 minutes extra when they went out, they could get more done in the office, no??

I have noticed that since the business is mine and effectively my money, I do think about these things more.

But don't want to be thought of as a nazi!! Perhaps I should give some slack

I generally follow the philosophy that expectations have to be reflected by reward.

Low pay, casual contract workers are going to be slack, and if that's what you pay for, give the workers the 'bonus' of a casual workplace.

Pay above market rates-you can be a nazi! \:\)

Get the job done: that is what they are paid for.

Do more than that: that is what they get a bonus for.

So what if they go to 7-11?? If I have the time and my work is not affected, I will take a 2 hour lunch.

If you treat people like mice on a treadmill, then that will influence what you get in return.

What you need to do is break the back of their seemingly 'sneaking out' when you are not there. They shouldn't have to act like that. They should be able to stand up at any stage in the day and say "just going down to 7-11, anyone want a coke? Back in 5".

Generally with the people on this one.

The issue becomes more important when the staff start to take advantage of this attitude and push it to the limits...although if they are at that stage anyway you might be better off without them.

agree there big-w.

It isn't a matter of cutting them slack. You cut a brat slack, not a good employee. What you need to do is develop a culture of treating them like employed adults with professional obligation. You give that and expect behaviour from them that befits an employed adult with a professional obligation. You need to call on their ethical values as an adult & as part of a team. If at that stage they let you down, execute them.

I screw the pooch something rotten (had you noticed...?) Perhaps I should say something to myself.

I totally agree with db. That's not usually a philosophy that is applied to non-full time work situations, but it can and should be. Then if you have set reasonable work-related targets that you keep tabs on, and the targets aren't met, then you can start asking why not.

But let people achieve in their own way and own time, and they usually will.

nice balanced opinions there, but nothing that will really stop the insatiable pull of the 7-11.

i recommend ankle restraints chaining the staff to within 15 feet of their desk. u can get this kind of stuff from sex shops. but when u go in, don't tell the shop owner u are planning to restrain your staff with them, otherwise u'll look appear to be a weirdo.

note: if your staff have to deal with customers u will need to wrap the chains to stop them clinking.

You probably know when they are pushing it - if you find yourself being consumed and constantly irritated by whatever, then you have no choice but to bring it up. Whatever, hope it works out ok

Yeah, talking to them about your feelings really might not be a bad idea, but I would think such a task to be too difficult (at least for me) in Japanese, where it seems you have to get the language just right, else it be interpreted as 10 other things.

but yeah, after reconsidering, I agree with db - great idea would be to develop a culture of fairness amongst yer employees - so that you can have them get the job done, whilst cutting them some slack, and all the while they fully understand their limits.

But again, I think this kind of idea seems un-Japanese, and therefore hard to teach.

But, as a rookie, what the hell do I know.