While we're on the subject, a friend of mine has a cracked version of Office 2000 and he's thinking of upgrading to Office XP, but he's damned if he's going to pay for a new version rather than an upgrade. S'what he says anyway. But he wonders if he buys an upgrade, whether by some vile Gatesian trickery his computer will split on him and not let him upgrade, thus wasting a whole bunch of his money and time.

Anybody got any words of comfort for my freewheeling friend?

I had a friend with the same situation except with MS OfficeX for Mac. He was silly and downloaded the upgrade for Office. After it installed he was required to enter a serial code.... and the crack code from the original version no longer worked.

An hour later he had a new crack from the net and all was ok, or so I am told.

Mac users should search long and hard on the internet for a bit of s/w called the 'Salt Mine'.

Well, thanks for the advice.

I just got a call from my friend and he says he's fired up his piracy and communism software and is even now downloading something dodgy. Gosh, I hope he doesn't get in any trouble. And I wish he'd find all this stuff out for himself instead of asking me to post questions.

I'd say Bill is making it difficult and expensive for people like my friend to go legit when they have a bit of cash to spare. That's a bit of cash, not like the dirty great silos of cash that Bill sometimes takes his clothes off and wallows in (that's what another friend told me).

lol.gif

It is annoying isn't it?

But sometimes I'd rather just take a deep breath and spend the money rather than a) spending ages and wasting lots of time getting frustrated finding other ways and B) running the risk of screwing things up very badly.

I used to use my playstation for internet and email but a couple of weeks ago I got a second hand pc. Im pretty sure the windows program is dodgy but it works fine and upgraded itself off the internet. Should I be worried and stop it from contacting gatesville or what?

Also I thought a crack was the part of your body that smells nasty after a day on the board but I keep hearing about cracks on kazaa. Whats it all about?

An image search on altavista (from which I expected to find the sort of crack you described)found the following image.

Cracks.jpg

I had the family filter off and all but this pic and ones like it filled the first 10 pages of the results.

no. i have xp pro. it did not come with office. that depends on whatever is packaged by the maker/retailer.

from what i gather, xp has a slightly faster start up time and some different security levels. and its got some biznissy networking options, and different recovery functions or sumpin like that.

plus its blue.

The automatic security updates in XP are convenient. If'n you first accept the gaping security holes that require patching...

The wizard for setting up my home network was no help at all, and the info on the web about it suggested the method I had in mind was too dangerous for MS to explain how to do. I wouldn't be wanting to do it if'n it really was dangerous.

If you go to the US MS website and follow the security links, you can find out what you're downloading. You can also run scans of your computer and get recommendations about other things you might like to install.

Mostly what's downloaded automatically is patches for holes that shouldn't be there in the first place...

Ocean - you're asking your question on the wrong forum. ;\)

XP is starting to show its age. The security holes have long been exploited and now many web pages are overwriting registry keys setting your home, search, not found pages to pop ups. As of right now the best way to stop this short of a reformat is with a program called ad-aware. I have fixed many a person's PC in the last couple months by mainly just running that little gem.

I just recently installed the Google toolbar which stops most popups.

ender, I realized I could tap into the motherlode of esoteric knowledge on certain, shall we say, less busy forums, but this thread was already started and all.

My friend has now got the new XP and is all set to install it. I say he should be fined to within inches of his life for his piratical ways. I will ostracize him.