Alternatives to smelly kerosene heaters

OK I remember us all having a moan about the toyu heaters last season, but did we come up with a good, not too expensive, alternative?

Nori-chan: "spooning" is when a man and a women lay very close together in the same direction "like spoons in a drawer"...

(note: this is quite innocent in and of itself, but may lead to quite decadent behaviour...and warmth.)

It should not be done in conjunction with crooning a tune under the moon out in the boonies. :rolleyes:

Anyone have one of those electric fan things that actually look like fans on a stand? I wonder if they cost a fortune to run and if they're any good.

In terms of cost, kero is cheaper than gas, which is cheaper than LPG (no piped "toshi" gas here), which is cheaper than electricity. The difference between kero and electricity is huge.

We've got a kero heater that works in conventional fan mode to warm the place up and a IR radiated heat mode with no fan to keep it warm. It was quite expensive, but it doesn't smell. An aircon or a electric bar heater that hasn't been cleaned (i.e., most of them) is worse.

We've got another modern kero heater that gives out a whiff only when you turn it off. It's a Sharp one with a "rakuraku" tank. You don't have to turn it upside down, so you can fill it without getting any on your hands or any dribbles on the genkan.

Kero heaters are pretty intense, so its not a bad idea to use a humidifier to save your throat.

The best alternative is of course to live in a well-built, well-insulated house. In my last place, I couldn't use a kero heater because even on the lowest setting the room would be roasting within ten minutes.