Most annoying thing about computers

Comments have been made in other threads about windows, passwords etc, so how about bringing them together....the most annoying thing about computers.

Here's some of mine:

- taking so long to power up;

- getting crap messages like "do you want to send that message in unicode" and stuff like that as if we're supposed to understand what on earth that means;

- completely useless Help sections;

- costs of software (although some people seem to get round that one ;\) )

:p

I sure would like a Powerbook or any Apple computer. That would be great.

But those crash and have various problems too. Nobody has yet come close to a crash-proof, trouble-free platform or OS for home computer users.

With Windows 2000 and XP (both are giant turds if you ask me), and what I've heard about OS X from heavy users like my sis, another local pal and a company full of graphic design pros, I would no longer make a decision between the PC and Apple platforms based on a factor like "OS reliability" or "robustness".

In fact, I never did decide based on those factors.

Maybe I should have, given my abolutely unacceptable ME and 98 problems.

But when computer shopping, it always seems to be about money and basic features...as much as I'd like to have the latest gleaming cool Apple product and do video editing at home.

Course I don't have a video camera yet either.

\:D

> I would HATE to be a newcomer now without knowing anything - that must be a nightmare.

It's got a lot better compared to 10 years ago. The first time I tried to set up an Internet connection with email required a whole series of arcane steps with 3 different control panels. Poring over the six separate manuals was one of the things that turned me into a translator mad.gif

And error messages are like satori these days compared with the delphic pronouncements of 10 years ago. Today's bugs are mere annoyances rather than things that make your screen literally flash wildly, and for all their prevalence, viruses have a much harder time getting through than they used to (at least with me).

No, I reckon it's much easier starting out now...

This is not so much about actually using one as the market in general, but a very annoying thing to me is the way that they advance so quickly and as soon as you have the latest, another 6 months down the line and something new, faster and sexier is out there for the same price or less.