have yall tokyo people seen flyers for the design festa ? its a big art expo at the tokyo big spot on november 15th and 16th. a movie i made with some friends is showing on the 15th at 16:15. check out the preview . scroll down and click on 魚飲me productions "Kappa Kappa Love". it's super amateur, but i'm so psyched about it!

nekobi is that you in those raunchy photos in the preview? Please let it be!

BTW, can I ask what machine you used for editing and stuff?

I just bought a 3megapixel Sony vid cam and find that I am now in need of an external hard drive to do the editing and since I know you are a mac user I...thought I would ask you for advice.

BTW, great that you got a movie happening there!!!

Hey that's great Nekobi, I'm going to try and get there too.

Hey Mogs - what Mac do you have and what software are you running? I use fast external FW drives for audio recording, I can give you some recs. Main thing is to get something with the Oxford 911 chip. There's a faster Oxford chip now, I think it's FW800 compatible AFAIK. I haven't looked too deeply into it yet cos I'm still on FW400. If you think you're ever going to need more than one drive, best thing is to get a FW dock, so that you don't have to buy a whole new unit every time you run out of space, instead you have one external unit which fits multiple (internal) drives which you add as needed. The one I have is made by Granite Digital called the Fire Vue (granitedigital.com - not their Smart drive, just the regular external hot swap bay). There are several others out on the market. There's another one I can recommend also (just have to dig out that info.) There's one dock available in Japan, Ratoc, but it doesn't have the Oxford chip so is better for archiving, not fast enough for editing.

Also - if you're a vid editing or directing wizz I'd love to pick your brains about some stuff, as I'm now in planning stages for a coupla music vids of my music. At this point we'll probably be editing in FC Pro and AfterEffects. Also looking for a stills computer graphics person to help with some backgrounds that we can use as mattes. Is your brain pickable for any of this (or anything else?) Fancy a cuppa sometime?

mogski- yeah you are going to need an external drive for video editing bc i think i read somewhere that you need at least 20gb free for processing all the data for something. i dont really understand all the stuff sunrise is talking about... too technical for me! but i've got an ibook and have an external drive hooked up and do all the editing in imovie bc its supereasy! make sure you get a big drive bc i've already filled up one and need another- my friend's got a better one than me (something about speed??) so I'll find out which kind it is and post it.

looking forward to seeing some of yall there!! \:D

sunrise thanks for the info! I am at the moment running iMovie on my PB G4 667. I am thinking of perhaps eventually spending the money and purchasing Final Cut express, but at the mo iMovie will do till I can get the hang of things.

Are the stack externals expensive?

nekobi, looking forward to hearing bout that external drive!

Mogski, rather than stacking, for your uses, you may want to consider a firewire external case, w/ a 60-80GB drive (fast as poss). Simple and cheap. Split the drive, dedicating the outer sections (they're faster) for scratch/working on, and always keep them empty.

miteyak is this understanding of what you are saying correct:

Split 1 external hard drive into several little drives and use for editing work.

Store projects on main HD.

????

There are plenty of larger drives you could use, but 80 is still v. cheap. 120 still good value, but escalates exponentially after that (last time I checked, anyway).

Try the superdrive, for an all inclusive read/write CD/DVD machine. Plenty of cheap DVD writers out there, however.

so mogs- i got this from my friend about his 160gb drive...

it's a "LaCie d2 160GB FireWire 400 (7200rpm) 300659" . 35,000 yen or there abouts. 7200 rpm (revolutions per minute) anything less craps out on video or audio. We got it from MJsoft in Tokyo http://www.iijnet.or.jp/MJSOFT/ - who will take

furikomi - I don't reckon you'll find it in any stores. They also do a 200GB or a 250GB (I think) and we all know how much storage is worth, so it'll probably be better to go bigger now than later.Find it at http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10022

the one i've got was way cheaper bought at yamada denki, but the revolutions werent fast enough to handle speeding up the video.

Thanks nekobi. 160g's is sounding more like it \:D And 7,200rpm eek.gif officially makes it a faster work horse than ma van! \:D

Can't say I like th price, but I guess beggers can't be choosers and I need to free up the space on my PB to make more room for virtual memory.

Anyone know where I cna buy one of those trees that grows money? My parents use to talk about em all the time....