I have this ongoing joke with a Japanese friend of mine. She and her husband always seem to be going out to really expensive restaurants, highly overpriced if you ask me. They really hate the thought of going to a famiresu. Now I don't mind the famiresu at all, and very rarely feel like spending a fortune on overpriced "French cuisine". So they call me "B grade Gourmet", them being A grade of course lol.gif

Which are you then? \:\)

sorry mate, but IMO, the typical famiresu do not even get a letter on the alfabert. Places like that take the joy out of eating. I will take 200yen soba on a street side bench over famiresu anyday. At least here is character in that dining experience.

I should have been more specific. When I said famiresu, I actually meant to include all of the ramens, the izakayas, and cheaper food outlets. (ie compared to the overpriced 'A gourmet') places.

(Specifically on the subject of famiresu, I agree there are some bad famiresu, but there are decent ones too).

I must admit that one of the better pizzas I have had in Japan was at a famiresu of one type or another. I enjoyed it so much that I ordered a second one before I had finished the first.

Izakaya are also way down on my likes list. Actually there are two types and the non-franchise, nicely constructed, no vomiting 22 year old Japanese boys type is ok. The other franchise plastic table dives are awful.

Izakayas are really varied. There some brilliant ones I go, and so that stink. A lot of luck involved. Ask the locals to get the best ones. (Although the locals where I live keep a few of the best secrets I reckon)

One thing is for sure - I really hate expensive overcharing restaurants where you almost feel stressed going to and can't relax serving the most pretentious menus possible, with ridiculously small quantities.

"One thing is for sure - I really hate expensive overcharing restaurants where you almost feel stressed going to and can't relax serving the most pretentious menus possible, with ridiculously small quantities. "

Just like izakaya, there are good and bad 'wanky' places to eat. I totally see your point, but you owe it to yourself to find and experience a few good places that do charge a lot, do serve 9 courses of mini mouthfuls on big plates, do pride themselves on certain other dinning experiences etc etc. For the most it is just expensive eating and like you say, not worth it, but there are some that will take you on a taste ride that makes you happy to be alive. From the outside it is easy to mock them, but when taken seriously, they can really deliver. I make an effort to visit one every few months (on my own expense). You really do owe it to yourself. A place in Harajuku/Aoyama (wherever) called Restaurant J is a pretty good start. It is downtempo, easy going, nice Venezuelan waiter dude, great food and drinks. 1man per person should put more food in front of you than you can eat, plus a bottle of wine. And for Tokyo 1man isn't expensive either. Try ANY semi normal tepanyaki, tempura, sushi place in town and they will charge that as a starting price for an evening meal. I had tepanyaki last earlier this week on a business expense that cost 2.5man each, excluding drinks. Seriously, get out and about and see how amazing a dedicated J chef can be when he has travelled other countries and bought some flavours and ideas home with him and then combined with J cuisine. He will provide a far better meal than the aforementioned tepanyaki rip off and at a fraction of the price.

I think yodel means hunter as in the "adventurer" meaning - trying out as many as possible.

They seem to be all over the place - must be a good business.

Cooking is good. I can cook delicious(I think...) pasta within 500yen at home! \:\)

I couldn't enjoy ¥20,000 Japanese dinner at Windsor Hotel. I didn't pay for it and food was excellent but I couldn't understand for whom that kind of dinner is?

Class, all class... ;\)

So you don't like to spend a lot on eating out , that's fair enough, but to write off all expensive food as pretentious 'bollux' or 'shit' is just plain ignorance. There are a fair number of pretenders out there, but when one finds a restaurant where one gets what one pays for (whether it's chef skill, rare or specially prepared ingredients, etc) the experience is sublime.

Just as with all art forms, people like to brush off what they don't understand as pretentious, and just like all art forms, a lot of it is, but dont presume that the presence of pretentions exclude the presence of something truly great.

I don't like being served by people I don't know. I get uncomfortable when I have to sit in my seat and ask somebody when I want water (and I always want more than they give me).

I also don't like watching other people enthusing about food and watching me for my reaction.

Is there something wrong with me?

I'm sure there are some excellent restaurants around, but finding them can be a trying experience. Those plates with mounds of something surrounded by dobbings of what look like bodily secretions (blood, semen) really put me off. Next time I go to Tokyo (haha), I'll check out dob's favourite place. Anybody got any recommendations for fine dining in Matsuyama?

I love fine food, if I were a wealthy man I would eat out regularly at gourmet restaurants and enjoy myself regardless of the cost. Unfortuneately I am not a wealthy man and cannot justify such an extravagant expense on a regular basis. Therefore I am a B gourmet by default.

I love sushi, its my #1 all time favourite food, there is nothing better than going to a fine sushi establishment, laying down 1000yen for one peice of toro that melts in your mouth. But mostly I go to Kappazushi (100yen kaitenzushi)because its economically viable.

Such is life.

I limit myself to about 500-600yen a day for lunch (if I buy it), last week I had lunch in a genuine Indian curry restaurant (not the sweet slop that passes for curry here) 1500yen lunch set and it was pretty damn good. I was smiling all afternoon.

\:\)