When's the sakura due in Tokyo?

Is it supposed to be early this year? Someone told me today that it was due on the 26th, but didn't know if that was the date it was supposed to start flowering or the date it's due to peak. I'm off to Oz in a week and I don't want to miss it, and I have to decide my return date in the next few days. Current choices are arrive back on 30th or 1st. My sister's going to come back with me (her first time here) so I hope she gets the full brunt of them then. If they're early we'll have to head for the mountains (never a bad idea) or Kyoto perhaps, to catch them.

Anyone know? Thanks.

Good morning sunrise!

I heard the Sakura blossom around Tokyo and Kyushu this year is 20th of March. Warm winter and little bit earlier than usual. I'll have my birthday and hanami party 30th of March. You should come back as soon as possible, I think.

Have a great journey!!

Hi slow, thanks for the info. Does that mean the blossoms will be starting to come out on 20th or will they be peaking then? I'm assuming you mean that this is the date that they'll start to come out and that they'll probably start to peak around the 26th, the date my friend mentioned. Is that right? Surely they can't be peaking by 20th. Will there still be sakura for your hanami birthday party or will you have to travel to the mountains?

It is the starting date. I think the peak will be around 26th as your friend mentioned. The party on 30th will be held somewhere in Tokyo or Kanagawa. I'm not sure yet, maybe a restaurant near the park we can still enjoy Sakura.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my Hanami schedule.

Aoyama reien on Tuesday night - Korean dinner

Around Kudanshita (royal palace) on Wednesday - tea at canal cafe

Somewhere else on Sunday - ?

Meguro-gawa sometime on the way home

Do you have any further recommendations?

\:\)

I just spent a day in Nara and a day in Kyoto then an afternoon on my local gawa. Sure saw some crowds, especially in Kyoto in the sakura mecca places. BUUUT. I was able to sneak away and find secluded sakura experiences that to be honest were fantastic! It is amazing what can be found by strolling on a side path where the tourist tunnel vision sheep do not look. I really did find some amazing trees. Sakura are indeed some of the most visually impressive trees when in bloom (almost as good as an Australian Wattle ;\) ). What was good was that I saw very little blue plastic drinking - a very ugly setting in my eyes.

I would hate to be in the middle the sakura spots when they are in full bloom though. Man, that must get so crowded and ugly. Not my thing at all. I was happy to only see the start of the blossoms, with about 30% of trees in full bloom and perhaps 75% less people.

On return to Tokyo it seemed that many sakura here were in a much later stage of bloom than in Kansai. I went for a nice dog walk along my local stream and holy cow, no need to leave home! SO MANY sakura and all in full bloom. Amazing and all within 5 minutes walk from home and no one at all in the late afternoon.

Oooh, sounds like I better get out there get viewing! The place I used to work (and live at) in Saitama had the most amazing sakura tree lined street. I could just pop out to the balcony and nearly reach out and touch them.