You can go hut to hut

There are quite a few

Not sure of any route though. You would have to sit down with a map. There are the main huts of the Murodo Plain and then 2 huts in the Tsurugidake bowl and more huts on the valley out from Tsurugidake.

Not sure about hiking times. Havn't done this with ski gear yet. In the summer with no snow hikes of 1-2 hours would be the norm to get to the tops of the ridges.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xscreams arent bad, the conditions that will will see up there could be soft, wind blown or crap ice. I prefer to have a bit of snow on a nice base. Id rather have boot deep safe snow then epic conditions due to the exposure of that mountain. At tateyama you will find 50 50 skiers to boarders so finding a well packed line up shouldnt be a problem. i might even break out the crampons this time around just in case a ridge gets hard and icy.

If you think it is doable for me to follow you guys at a reasonable pace on snowshoes without being a pain in the rear, then I am game to tag along. But please do not feel obligated. Let's be realistic and keep things simple. The last thing I would want to do is waste somebody else's day.

Another option would be to snowshoe up with my skis on my backpack. Would have to make sure that my snowshoes can accomodate the size of my ski boots. I am not sure that 2-3 hours of hiking with Ski boots+Snowshoes with skis in the back are gonna leave my feet feeling swell though...

Otherwise I will simply try to convince some other boarder to tag along with me.

Let me know. When does the road up to Tateyama open up, the 12th of April?

Originally posted by Fattwins:

Kayaking in cold water sucks poo unless you have good gear. my gear is so so, so I am a bit afraid of getting wet then having 2 or 3 hours of cold paddling. cold and wet I cant think of much worse than that.

How bout a frozen creek? wakaranai.gif shifty.gif

SerreChe, If you want you can borrow my old, ugly Dynastar Big (190). They have Fritschi Freeide bindings and I have skins too.

I don't think I will use them for a while.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
good question 10th I think but really the 16th for full access.
Well on the 9/10 weekend you can get to the plateau from the Nagano side as they don't have to deal with as much snow.
We will come from the Toyama side though and FT said that opens the week later. I'm holding you to that FT :p
If it doesn't open that weekend maybe we should go from the Nagano side. Hella lot more expensive though

Anything really

Nice day out today. To bad you didn't go skiing.

I had to come to school to introduce myself to the new teachers and whatnot. Huge ass waste of time.

Not only do I live in Japan's biggest city

But I also work at Gifu's biggest high school with 150 teachers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanno:
SerreChe, If you want you can borrow my old, ugly Dynastar Big (190). They have Fritschi Freeide bindings and I have skins too.
I don't think I will use them for a while.
That sounds like a nice setup Sanno
Are those the original Bigs from a while ago. Real fat and all??

that is poo. I figured that it was a waste of money plus the wife took tuesday off so now its sunday to tuesday sking. maybe my final visit to hakuba this winter. wedding next week and then its hiking time.

yaeh but we need it to stop snowing so that the pack can truely settle and stablize. right now it sets ups nice then it pounds 40 to 50 cms on top of that ice or slush and things get really avie prone. tomorrow would be good I think the pack is gonna set up for a good morning to early afternoon ski I think. the heat will force layers to slide or bond today and the freezing tonight should set things up, now keep the rain away and you got yourself a good saturday.

Last night was cold and clear and tonight should be a bit clear as well.

I'm going to try and get up to a 2500 metre sub summit of Norikura above one of my locals. A pretty safe wide ridge with some low angle meadows and stuff. I'm excited to get out.

That would be cool Serre if you could get out. The more experience the better.

Yes Toque definitely looking forward to getting out as much as possible. Will take it easy this w/e, spend some time with my wife then probably try to get out this coming week. After that, once I start my new job I will be limited to week ends only. \:\(

When are you going for that ridge?