• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toque,

I would be pissed-off also if all that crap happened to me as well. \:\(

Good news is that it can only get better from here on, gambatte. Maybe FT is right, you should go full on into an outdoors-related job given the the pay / benefits are reasonable.

I agree as well, Spring skiing is nice, but I still prefer the fluffy stuff. ;\)

I guess I still have too find these steep Japanese gullies to change my mind.

Ohhhhh by the way Toque,

saw a TV program about Takayama last night (one of the Debuya guys was the host)! Seems to be a pretty famous place for:

Old city

Strawberries

Yellow fin dipped in salt

Apparently there is a good steak place called KITCHEN HIDA as well. Must be really expensive though.

I met Sven a couple of weeks ago in Kagura with Montoya. I think he was starting a new job soon somewhere around Tokyo. So not sure how much access to a PC he has right now, or how focused he is on skiing at the moment.

I thought Sven was a 200cm tall swedish dude until I met him and he said "G'day Maaaate, Oaaaauuuu ?"

Strawberris and Yellow Fin??

That is news to me. I havn't even seen many strawberry fields or Yellow Fish where this yellow fin must come from.

Went to Kitchen Hida. Really expensive but so good.

I'm not much pissed off as just annoyed.

You should come out into the BC with us sometime this spring. I'm always looking for people to go with. And FT is going to be kayaking in May/June when I still want to be skiing.

Toque you can count on me untill mid may maybe even a bit after that. Kayaking in cold water sucks poo unless you have good gear. my gear is so so, so I am a bit afraid of getting wet then having 2 or 3 hours of cold paddling. cold and wet I cant think of much worse than that.

I am ready for the 16th and 17th big guy are you? what do we need.........?

Ill bring the same stuff as before and do you want me to bring my tent? . hope its sunny up there or at least clear

Yah man

Good. I'm ready to go now. I need something like that.

Sandy and I are planning for Golden Week and that is just 4 or 5 weeks away if you don't have plans for that. You should bring the fam along.

Bring a tent if you can. Do you have access to a bigger one?

I can get pretty much anything cause the inlaws are conected like no tomorrow. What is Sandy doing he doesnt or hasnt returned any of my mails.

GW is a tateyama weekend so you can count me in.

I will beg tats for his camera.

Toque,

thanks for the offer. I would really love to, but I do not have the proper gear here at the moment. I have always wanted to go back home to get the proper gear and bring it back to Japan but have not gotten around to doing it yet. Once I do I will surely take you up on that offer. Hopefully next year!

Did not know FT was a Kayak buff as well. Sounds to me like you and FT should open your own outdoors company in Japan!

Before I open an outdoor company I need more knowledge. I need level one avie asap and a good first aid course. Kayaking is fun but its not easy to just go down a river cause you cant keep the boat straight. plus if you cant roll then you gotta swim and swimming sucks the most poo of all.

Serrche what do you need. I have avie kit times 2

plus one extra beacon and I can get another sleeping bag i am sure of it. that is about all you need. I also have access to a big backpack so you are gonna have to come up with a better excuse not to come.

FT, thanks that's a super nice offer. Well I have the avie gear as well including beacon (no rope, no 1st aid), large backpack and sleeping bag but my skis are carving skis and I only have snowshoes, no proper touring skis + skins.

I might be able to find the proper skis in Japan, but the big problem is my shoe size (30.5). I will never find it here, and since the comfort of the shoes is extremely important when hiking, I do not want to get just any old pair of shoes... Bindings might be a problem as well since I need a spring that goes up to 12 given my weight.

Trust me, not trying to find a reason not to go, I would love to. \:\(

I've the correct maps

But you can bring them along as well if you want. If the tent is big enough we can lay them all out and play map games.

Looks like you have some shopping to do SerreChe

But you are in Tokyo and if you spend some time your should be able to find some stuff. I have the same foot size and I can find good gear even out here in the sticks. But then I have some pretty good stores.

Hmmm, OK, I'll see what I can do in Tokyo.

The fact that you have the same shoe size as me and managed to find something out there in the boonies bring a ray of hope \:\) . If I cannot get anything decent, then I guess I will see you guys next season hopefully.

Will keep you posted.

Serreche,

There was a strong wind blowing from the North yesterday, so lots of patches of ice on top today. Under the #5 lift we did with you and Sven was the only good run today.

I think there are some good stores in Tokyo carrying ski-gear, like Sakaiya, Ishii Sports, and others in Jinbocho.

Don't get ahead of yourself there SerreChe

I said I could find

Never said I did find ;\)

I got my parents to bring a new pair of hiking boots over last week when they visited. But I did find a nice pair in Matsumoto.

You should be able to find big boots in Tokyo. Either hiking or skiing

SerreChe what type of skis are you on. Toque uses skinny skis for touring sothey might be about the same. I use my lbfs which will get mounted with freerides next season. There are alot of snowshoers in tateyama also. The only problem is that they tend to take slightly different routes up.

Toque is matt ok or is he totally pooed up for a long time?

Not to sure

I just got a quick email. His season is over but then he was coming back to Japan for school anyways.

Yah SerreChe. Mine are pretty skinny. Maybe 80 in the waste.

I would lend you my touring adapters but they need a bolt drilled into them so they don't get torqued on every sidehill

Hmmm looks a bit difficult guys.

I have some Salomon XScream 195s.

Radius 22.

106/68/96 for the side-cut...

Great skis for steep on-piste packed/icy conditions, but for the rest... Bit on the heavy side as well I find. Thanks for the offer Toque, but I think I'll skip on that one.

I think I have to be reasonable. Spent quite a bit of money already this season. But when I go back home this year I will come back with the right stuff, unless I find a bargain in Tokyo...

I will let you know if I get lucky (talking about the gear search of course ;\) no OLs allowed here)!

Thanks for the update Montoya.

It is amazing, Kagura always feels like a wind tunnel. Looks like you came back early today.

Maybe this year I should consider Tateyama with my snowboard instead of skis (until I can gear up properly) if I can find some partner in crime (Montoya....??? \:D ). Most likely it would not be fair for boarders to tag along with skiers as we would waste their time on the way up. But I am a bit hesitant. Riding icy slopes on a board is not my idea of fun either. How different up the mountain are the skiers vs. borders routes? How long does it take from top to bottom? Thx.