When I was at college I had a bad whisky experience. I got myself unconscious after a heavy heavy night on (early on) beers and (later) lots of whiskys. I was in a real bad way, quite dangerous actually. Anyway, I couldn't even sniff whisky for over a year without wanting to honk. And even after that I was definitely off it. It's only been recently when I can go back to it with a clean slate.

Here's a whiskey question:

Scotch, bourbon or Japanese?

Single malt scotch. Straight or over good quality ice is the shiz. It's probably best straight with iced water as a chaser. Bourbon shots with beer chasers are the road to ruin " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> , although it can seem like a good idea at the time.

I have friends who buy me single malts for Christmas.12 year old Bowmore from Islay,Ardbeg,Dalwhinnie 15 years,Lagavulin 16 years,Glanmorangie,I could go on and on. I know they mean well. But the only Scotch I really like is a blended called Whyte & Mackay. No ice just a drop of water.West coast malts smell very peaty it reminds me of creosote.

I was on a train in Japan last year watching four japaness men drinking Glenfiddich, they drowed it I was shaking my head at the amount of water they put in.they sent a little nip over which was very nice of them.so I downed it in one kanpai

lol.gif lol.gif

I also wish I could enjoy a whisky, but I cant. As has been said, the smell and taste makes my mouth produce an excess of saliva and I get a knot in my throat, like I am at risk of throwing up. Pretty much any spirits will do this too me when I sip them. And I cant handle coke mixers either. In short, almost no spirits for me except te-key-lah in shots or cointreau over ice (bloody awesome)

I like an occasional Bourbon. Gentleman Jack's is a favorite. My father ONLY drinks Canadian Whiskey when he drinks. Nothing else...no beer, etc.

I like beer, sake, sho-chu, wine, other spirits. But never liked whisky. There is a famous malt bar near my apartment, maybe I should try this bar.

Never heard of that one scouser.

I remember when I came here the first time, Johnny Walker Black Label seemed the be THE present to bring someone. Now it's a couple of thou down the supermarket.

My Gran started me off drinking Johnny Walker Red with orange squash when I was six. Grandma, it's all your fault!

(Whiskey is not a very festive drink which is why I prefer nearly everything else, but on some nights, it definitely calls out to you. Too much of it flicks my sarcasm switch onto 'Exterminate Mode' so I have to be a little careful.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
(Whiskey is not a very festive drink which is why I prefer nearly everything else, but on some nights, it definitely calls out to you. Too much of it flicks my sarcasm switch onto 'Exterminate Mode' so I have to be a little careful.)
lol.gif I know what you mean there ocean. I love whiskey! Be it a good single malt or a nice bourbon I am a happy man with one in my hand. When it's hot and I am going to have a few I mix with ginger ale. Not too sweet and you can down many of them.

Lagavulan is indeed a great whiskey Scouser, and reminds me of a wonderful new years 99/00.

A big YO to whiskey from me

These days I pick almost anything before whiskey, but there was a time when my drink of choice was a good Canadian whiskey (Crown Royal or Seagram's 7) and 7up. They don't have Canuck whiskey in Japan, do they?

I'm rather fond of single barrel bourbons. I went through a phase where that's all I wanted to drink. Now, I just try to keep some available for when I need to get really incoherent and have racehorses running through my brain.

fasthorse.gif

Are the Japanese whiskys any good? Never had any. I heard some Scottish distilleries are now owned by Japanese companies.