I do. I have a good lawyer. But, having gone to law school, almost all of my friends are lawyers.

I recently settled a case with Northwest Airlines - a non-disclosure settlement. My lawyer was very helpful. Sometimes all it takes is a law office letter head along with a letter to intimidate or otherwise persuade someone or some entity to cooperate. The cost of litigation is outrageous. It is sometimes quite beneficial/ cost effective to know a lawyer.

Well if thats the case, I'll be sure to call up some expensive laywer tomorrow.

I hope they give me a good price to tell me all about my own rights. wakaranai.gif Rights about what, exactly?

If you get yourself into any kind of trouble, or disputes that involve jail, court, or anything that involves the judicial system, call a lawyer to help you out. Dont call a lawyer just for the hell of it, where are you from? and what kind of legal system does your country have? I feel like I'm explaining this to a child.

I had some trouble in Japan that required a bit of extra leverage. My missus found a legal company on the web that offered fantastic service.

You had to fill in an online form describing the case, and within 24 hours, the company provided you with a free legal opinion (about one A4 page of densely written, detailed opinion). They asked only that, if the opinion happened to be useful, you wire them 3,000 yen at your own convenience.

So we summarized the opinion and sent it to the enemy saying "This is what our lawyer says", and the enemy capitulated immediately, paying out a considerable settlement. It was 3,000 yen very well spent.

Yes. Oh gosh. The simple point was this. You often see people saying "I'm going to call my lawyer". As if they have one waiting in the wings, you know someone they talk with often and do a lot of dealings with, etc

Anyway, its hardly important!! :p

Kintaro, I wish I could but we lost all the data when my wife's crappy Sotec laptap gave up the ghost, and she can't remember the company. I'll ask again and see if I can find it in a search.

2pints,mate, people who are in business for themselves or who have been employed for a long time (basically people who are playing with bigger stakes) have to consult lawyers from time to time, and usually stick with one they can trust. Plus they like the sound of their own voice saying "I'll have to consult my lawyer".

Quote:
basically people who are playing with bigger stakes
That must be why lots of Americans have their own laywers... I hear they have big steaks over there.

Someone threatened to sue me a while ago. His man sent me a letter saying unless I did Z, Y, and Z then they would take the matter to court. Everyone told me to 'get a laywer'. I simply rang his laywer and explained exactly why his client was a moron thug using intimidation tactics with zero case and then sent him a copy of my thoughts on paper for his records.

I didnt hear a word from them again.

The only lawyer I've ever spoken with is a mate of mine. My parents needed one quite a while back though because of some funny stuff going on at work. It took ages to get everything settled, but they won in the end. Hurrah! clap.gif Then if I remember correctly, my dad sued the lawyer for being a chump.

My parents did the same sort of thing.

They had a builder in to do some work which he botched. So they got another builder in as an expert witness, and sued the first builder. They won damages. As the expert witness seemed like a good bloke, they hired him to fix up the original job. He botched it too. So by now they had become rather expert at this particular aspect of building, and acting as their own expert witnesses, they sued the second builder and won damages again.

Goddamn litigious middle-class people eh?

I wonder if lawyers often get sued? And who represents them? A colleague? I should watch more LA Law or The Practice perhaps/ lol.gif