Rach, lawyers get sued. Not often and it's almost professional suicide to take it to court. But if they do they almost always hire a lawyer..and wether they work for a firm (an associate or a partner) or independently they will almost always hire a lawyer from another firm for reputation purposes. Most suits are settled. That is why lawyers and/or law firms have to carry malpractice insurance (just like medical doctors do). It is a cost factored into legal fees, however, and is passed onto the "consumer." Now if the govt. gets involved, there is no settlement (govt. has very deep pockets and usually isn't concerned about litigation costs) so a lawyer sued by the govt. is #1 unlucky and #2 probably screwed.

I have a friend who is currently sitting out for a year b/c the govt. slapped him with a one year suspension for misshandling a clients settlement award. \:o

A junior one? What is that? As I've said, I'm a law school grad,but currently not a junior lawyer or barrister. I read the magna carta when I was 7 and was fascinated. It lead to an academic pursuit, that's all.

Siren-kun, are you a junior barrister?

If you believe in the Magna Carta, consider these:

"To no man will we sell, to no man deny, to no man delay, justice or right." (Chapter 29)

"All merchants shall have their safe and sure conduct to depart out of England, to come into England, to tarry in and go through England as well as by land as by water, to buy and sell, without any manner of evil tolls (e.g. by extortions) by the old and rightful customs." (Chapter 30)

Do you believe?

Believe or believe in?

Anyhoo, the main basis for the charters fame is the grand language of ch. 39.

"No free man shall be taken or disseised or exiled or in any way destroyed, nor will we go upon him, nor send upon him, except by the lawful judgment of his peers, or by the law of the land."

Although mundane at times, the MC taught us that the king is subject to the law, that government is something greater than the naked exercise of power.

So are you a junior barristar?

Chances are the senior partners of your firm (if it is a substantial one) have taken me out and entertained me.

At least get qualified first if you want to be an annoying pest.

uh-oh, here we go again. Someone else was getting too much attention/having too much fun/doing something unique/revealed a privilaged position/the list goes on..... and as reliable as mud, in steps Siren with another classic bit of penile envy.

Originally posted by Siren:

[QB] Chances are the senior partners of your firm (if it is a substantial one) have taken me out and entertained me

Entertained you??? unless you are into goldgen showers my friend, I doubt it. lol.gif So, for the last time, are you or are you not a little lawyer?

So Siren, how does that work. Do the partners have to provide you with cocaine then? Or do you supply them with cocaine, then they entertain you?

I've always found senior partner types very entertaining company. So many fascinating stories about themselves and their work.

No, they entertain me by telling stories of useless paralegals (i.e. non-qualified) who can't even make photocopies properly (never mind proof-reading - cf. 'goldgen showers') but fortuntely do not cost their firm a lot. \:D