Sweet Jesus! eek.gif That is some lock. At about a buck a haircut in Vietnam, homeboy is easily $500 richer after 31 years of haircut abstinence. \:\) He must have been self employed, eh!

Dude!

Question - doesn't hair really get smelly and horrible when its like this? (or even in a less dramatic looking dreadlock or whatever you call it)???

have you guys heard of the 'rolling baba' ? He's a sadu, (I think that's what you call it - no idea of spelling), a holy man from India. They don't cut their hair either. Anyway, this rolling baba guy was literally rolling across India - literally !! He would lay on the road and roll. If he came to a particularly deep puddle or pot hole, his crew would lay down a peice of plastic for him to roll on, otherwise it was just mother nature (or tarmac) that he rolled on - his hair wasn't as long as Tran Van Hay san's, but it was sure in a hell of a lot worse condition

mold, dirt, etc, or something...?? it's probably not the original color after 31 years of hanging off of his scalp. He seems to trim his beard, thereby possibly having the natural color. wakaranai.gif

This 'rolling baba' fella sounds like fun.

----------

Holy roller

A Hindu ascetic travels the world — turning himself over and over like a runaway log — both to liberate his soul and to make a plea for world peace.

BY PAUL WATSON

Los Angeles Times

HODAL, India

Barreling down a sizzling-hot road, in a cloud of diesel fumes and dust, Ludkan Baba is on a serious roll. He lies flat on the ground, turning himself over and over like a runaway log, limbs flailing as he bumps across potholes, splashes through mud puddles and falls deeper into a spiritual trance.

Like any sadhu, or Hindu ascetic, he undertakes severe penance to liberate his soul from reincarnation's endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. Stretched out in the middle of the road, rolling hour after hour, mile after mile through crowds and heavy traffic, he is making his trip to eternal bliss.

But this is no ordinary holy roller. He is also on a mission to bring peace to the world. His devotion, and alms-raising power, has earned him several disciples, many admirers and the title Ludkan Baba — the Rolling Saint.

He has rolled thousands of miles in the past 19 years, turning round and round so many millions of times that just pondering the thought can make your head spin.

Yet to the 55-year-old sadhu, the constant turning is refreshing. He says he feels no pain. And except for a few blisters from rolling at high noon along gritty asphalt in 110-degree heat, his taut skin is baby-smooth.

When he left the road for a midday break recently, the faithful gathered to be healed with his swishes of a peacock-feather broom and sachets of blessed ashes. The sadhu said he had not suffered a single accident or serious injury in nearly two decades of long-distance rolling.

"I move during cyclones, during blazing summers and cold winters," he said. "I think of God, I think of Mother Earth, and then I roll and roll and roll. I don't feel dizzy. I don't consume any food, just tea and cigarettes. At night, I eat fruits, roti (bread), whatever I can lay my hands on."

As a sadhu, the Rollinng Baba is a wanderer who survives on alms. In his quest for "moksha," or release from the cycle of reincarnation, he must reject the comforts of ordinary life.

He believes God's hand propels him. How else, he asks, could a man spin round and round, along unforgiving ground, for months on end and suffer no injuries?

He was born Mohan Singh in the northern Indian town of Dungarpur, and as a barefoot boy of 12, he rubbed the hands of a dying boy and saved his life, the Rolling Baba said. After performing that miracle, he said, he went to a temple, renounced the world and became a sadhu.

His first journey lasted just under 25 miles. On his third trip, in 1994, he rolled about 2,500 miles across India. Today, rolling toward Pakistan, the sadhu thinks he might go to Iraq next.

A 17-year-old girl, a disciple whom the Rolling Baba and his entourage call the Young Saint, said she joined his holy journey, or "yatra," because she believed the example of his strength through suffering would move the world to be more loving.

"Just like a baby rolls on a mother's lap, similarly this man rolls on the streets. So if he can do this, what is it that prevents others from loving each other?"

This is the Rolling Baba's sixth "yatra." He is heading toward the Pakistani city of Lahore, where he hopes to meet President Pervez Musharraf and urge him to reach a lasting peace with India.

The Rolling Baba began his 800-mile journey on Jan. 28 at his home in India's central Madhya Pradesh state. When he reached Hodal, a town 50 miles south of New Delhi, India's capital, on May 26, he was roughly halfway to his goal.

The Rolling Baba travels light. Since becoming a child sadhu, he has worn nothing more than a dhoti, a cloth loosely wrapped around his groin, hips and buttocks.

He made an exception to the sadhu's rule of austere dress and wore a beige suit with a Nehru jacket and new shoes during a 1994 visit to London to help promote a documentary film about himself.

He still travels with pictures of himself — standing — in Piccadilly Circus, outside the gates of Buckingham Palace and at other London landmarks. The snapshots are tucked into a small photo album that is inscribed "Sweet Memories" on the cover, above a heart-shaped window.

While rolling, the only protection he wears is a blue T-shirt, wristbands and stretch bandages on his upper legs and forearms. He also holds tightly on to both ends of a strip of cloth, to help build some torque as he spins.

He rolls right down the middle of the road, through cow dung, rotting garbage and cigarette butts. Two disciples walk in front and kick away the more dangerous bits, such as steel bolts, chunks of glass and sharp stones.

The Rolling Baba clocked his pace at about 6 mph in this farm town, where traffic and well-wishers slowed him down. But when he hits open highway, or the down slope of a good hill, his speed reaches about 15 mph, he said.

After completing his morning spins and getting the dirt mopped off by a disciple one recent day, the sadhu sat in a steel-framed chair in the shade of a tree at a government high school. The sick and disabled gathered on a red and black striped carpet at his feet.

More than 60 people came for faith healing, including a blind boy, a boy with a lame leg, an old woman with a headache and a man with piles.

The Rolling Baba swept them all with his peacock-feather broom. He gently poked a few patients' bellies with a curved, blunt-tipped sword, and made a whooshing sound, as if he had killed whatever ailed them and blown it away.

After each treatment, he handed out what one of his disciples said were holy ashes. Two men sat at the end of the carpet, spooning the gray powder onto pages torn from a school biology text and neatly folding them into packets.

"Have a bath with this for three days," the Rolling Baba instructed an old man with heart trouble, who wheezed for each breath. "And don't use soap."

lol.gif

grungy-gonads that was a great read mate thanks. I want to see this guys documnetary. Can't say the guy has a boring life now can you. I've been close enough to cow dung, working on dairy farms, to know I don't want to be rolling around in it. Love the bit about the 'piece rope for torque' at 15 kph, in a blue t-shirt for protective gear. Respect! Happy rolling to Lahore clap.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This dude was just mentioned on National Geographic. It looked semi-hard it must weigh a ton that thing and house 1000 varieties of wildlife.

Interesting, but gross indeed.