The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

Great pass that was, cheese Buttie. lol.gif

About Rio, many fans might love him for being as good as he is at what he does, but will very quickly start to become pissed if he does start playing round. I think he might want to go back playing with old teamies Cole and Lamps myself as well as London, cockney wide boy he is.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rio goes to Chelsea it will be good for England. Imagine have our top two centre-halves playing together week in week out - thats what u want!

Quote:
you have to wonder how much influence Souness will have on long term signing decisions. [/QB]
Well, the word is that in the past it was Shearer who picked Duncan Ferguson, only to see the big man spend half his time out with mysterious injuries. That said, we are currently suffering from two signings, Pievert and Butt, made by our chairman against the wishes of Sir Booby. Before you go all protective of the old boy, it should be remembered that he only made two or three good signings (Woodgate, Robert (instant impact) and Bellamy (total tosser but incredible pace)) and bought a string of serious duffers, being guilty like the chairman of buying on reputation alone (Milner, Viana, etc.) According to Woodgate, the coaching under Robson at Newcastle was leagues behind Venables, and that was at Leeds just as things went very nasty indeed.

I've seen many of those "separated at birth" type things in football magazines and papers in my time, but I must say this one is by far the best. Unfortunately, it's not a recent pic of the man on the left, but rest assured he's looking more like the man on the right by the day.

blog-kluivert-konishiki.gif

As expected ManYoo breezed past the Toon to set up a meeting with Arsenal, who thankfully beat Blackburn Rovers with that dirty tw@t who elbowed van Persie. On MOTD, you could see the BBC trying to hype the ManYoo-Arse final, but it's nothing compared to Chelsea-Liverpool in the CL. That's the big confrontation of the season. With Alonso, the new Jan Molby(*), back in the team, you can see Liverpool winning as well. They weren't far off holding out in the Carling Cup, and were all over Chelsea on New Years Day, incidently when Lampard broke Alonso's ankle. In that game, Chelsea won with a deflected Joe Cole goal, but it was all Liverpool. Chelsea play the better football, so I hope they win, but you see the press waiting with the knives out for Jose if they don't. They've built him up, and you can tell that they'd be more than happy to stick it to him if Chelsea lose, probably with lots of comments about "smugness" into the bargain.

Personally, I thought Fergie would have ditched Rio after the drug fiasco, but it seems like it's all been forgotten. Perhaps he learnt his lesson with Jaap Stam, the only really good player he's ever let go. Good center halves aren't that easy to come by. Chelsea don't really need Rio though. If I had their money, I'd buy Shevchenko. He's got Premiership striker written all over him. He'd score wads more than Drogba who cost 26 mill himself.

(*) Well, maybe he doesn't overturn parked cars for a bet.

Good comments there Mr Wiggles. It will be a big game. Lets hope the decent Liverpool turn out for it, rather than the insipid one.

As for Kluivert. Nice picture lol.gif they look so alike. He is a man who obviously knows all of the best pie shops and chippies in Newcastle.

Deary me, what is happening. Scholes getting a red and Gazzer Nevs becoming strangely mad for a moment there. confused.gif

I didn't know Duncan Ferguson was at Newcastle.

Just got this from an Evertonian friend. (it is possible you know) about united by a united fan. I had a laugh

"we were piss poor, we looked shaky and everton were the ones creating the biggest chances. we got two red cards and we actually subbed on silvestre and o`shea instead of a forward, even though rvn was having a nightmare out there. rooney on some occasions, actually on most, refused to pass the ball as he wanted to score, ronaldo had put on his diving shoes, rvn forgot he is a striker, fletcher decided not to mentally turn up for the second half and gary neville forgot his brain back home."

lol.gif

FOund this on a united site:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IT IS summer. Manchester United are preparing to head east for a lucrative pre-season tour. Rio Ferdinand refuses to go. He has a conversation with David Gill, the chief executive, and explains that he wants to leave. He repeats his demand to Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager, after which he submits an unusual transfer request, one that does not only ask to be released from his contract but actually names his chosen destination: Chelsea.

The club is rife with rumour, including one that suggests that Chelsea’s paperwork for the transfer has been prepared and shown to the player. Within days, with United in an impossible position, Ferdinand signs for Chelsea. What do you think United’s reaction would be to the knowledge that another club, or its representative, had blatantly negotiated with one of their contracted players to the extent that there was no option left but to sell?

Maybe we should ask Leeds United. After all, this fantasy is based on real events surrounding the departure of Ferdinand from Elland Road to Old Trafford in July 2002. The time between the clubs reaching agreement on a transfer worth £29.1 million and Ferdinand becoming the most expensive defender in the world was measured in hours, not days. It takes longer to buy a sofa at John Lewis. Even Peter Ridsdale, then the Leeds chairman, archly observed that the two parties seemed to have remarkably little left to discuss; then again, he had seen the transfer request.

Perhaps this is why, for once, Manchester United are refusing to indulge their manager in mid-tantrum. Ferguson wants an official complaint placed against Chelsea for “tapping up” Ferdinand; Gill and the club intend nothing of the sort. Their instincts are correct. Why be made a laughing stock? Ferguson must accept that history makes certain areas a no-go for his club.

Michael Howard, the Conservative Party leader, does not bully the Government about going to war with Iraq because he would have made the same mistake; Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, let Blackburn Rovers off lightly on Saturday because he surely acknowledges that his club’s disciplinary record leaves no room on the moral high ground. For United to embroil Chelsea, Peter Kenyon, their chief executive, or Pini Zahavi, their “fixer”, in a row about transfer ethics over Ferdinand would be the greatest waste of time of all.If the FA Premier League were to receive a complaint, it should proceed with an investigation only on condition that the hearing is televised. Everybody says there is no great comedy on the box these days.

Just as the prosecution in the Michael Jackson case brings up the past in an attempt to demonstrate a pattern of behaviour while the defence tries to discredit those witnesses as vengeful liars, past events could be used to shed light on right and wrong over Ferdinand; or maybe not. What would the Premier League make, for instance, of the mess surrounding David Bellion’s transfer from Sunderland to Manchester United, which ended with the selling club receiving an inflated fee on the condition that they stayed quiet?

Kenyon was a senior United employee at the time, which suggests endorsement of a certain dark modus operandi, but the description of United’s behaviour by Bob Murray, the Sunderland chairman, as “despicable, shabby and arrogant, breaking every rule in the book whether written or ethical”, hardly reflects well on the club, either. It was Murray’s contention, made before he was silenced by a £3 m illion pre-tribunal payment, that United had unsettled the player during a season that ended with Sunderland relegated. Certainly, Bellion was tied to Elite Management, the company that employed Ferguson’s son, Jason, and for much of the season the player was a problem, often returning to France without explanation.

Then there was the move of Louis Saha from Fulham, during which Chris Coleman, the Fulham manager, called Ferguson a bully, or the appearance of Arjen Robben, 19 at the time, on a guided tour of United’s training ground, which so infuriated PSV Eindhoven, his club, that they sold him to Chelsea.

The Ashley Cole affair and a clumsy attempt to lure Sven- Göran Eriksson from his England job may also give Chelsea form, but they still have a way to go to catch up with United. Even last year, on the day that Ferguson complained that Real Madrid had leaked their interest in Ruud van Nistelrooy — “that is how they get players, through the back door” — a similar story linking United with a move for Saha emerged. Real did not get the Dutchman, but Saha signed once Fulham realised that United’s much-publicised interest had made their best player a liability.

Also it takes two to tango, or in this case three, and of the people at the meeting with Ferdinand, two thirds are either employed by United or in bed with them. Zahavi is a prime mover at Chelsea these days, but in his spare time he makes regular guest appearances for other clubs, including United. The most recent accounts show that he was paid £500,000 to smooth Juan Sebastián Verón’s passage to — you’ve guessed it — Stamford Bridge. He was also the middleman when Ferdinand transferred from Leeds.

So United know how Zahavi works: sometimes it suits them and sometimes it does not. Far from running crying to the Premier League, this would seem to fit neatly into the hard man’s maxim that those dishing it out should be able to take it, too.

Some think that the public nature of the Ferdinand meeting places it above suspicion, but this depends on Kenyon’s taste for cunning. A cynic might argue it was only the clandestine nature of the talks with Cole that put Chelsea in the dock. Had they met in public, all parties could have claimed pure coincidence, as Kenyon, Ferdinand and Zahavi have, and the Premier League would have had little choice but to accept the explanation. As it was, the idea of a double booking in an hotel conference room that fortuitously brought together the best left back in Europe, his agent and three representatives of the richest club in the world was too preposterous to be considered. It reminded of a neat little piece of satire from Tranmere Rovers fans, Half Man Half Biscuit. “A million housewives every day, pick up a tin of beans and say/“What an amazing example of synchronisation.’ ” (99 Percent of Gargoyles Look Like Bob Todd (1985).

No. Zahavi’s presence is the main reason that many believe Chelsea’s protestations of innocence (even if mischief is harder to discount). Put simply there really is no reason for player and club to meet. If ever a negotiation could be achieved on the phone it is this one. Ferdinand and Chelsea share a very powerful agent and Zahavi’s position at Stamford Bridge is so significant that he would virtually be talking to himself.

“Do you want to come to Chelsea, Pini?”

“Yes, I do, Pini.”

This is funny, on the bbc site.

----

"It make me laugh to read these stories about Rio saying he's on £70,000 a week and wants £120,000 - I think I could get by on 70K."

"Yes but if the Lib Dems get in he'll lose a lot of money in tax. I don't think he'll be able to live on what's left."

Super Rooney goal! yey, worth staying up for that. The first half was a bit shifty.gif though.

connakers, Champions tonight?

Quote:
Originally posted by rach:
Super Rooney goal! yey, worth staying up for that. The first half was a bit shifty.gif though.

connakers, Champions tonight?
I hope not, it`d be nice to actually win it with some fans in the stadium. Anyone got any links to Rooney`s wundergoal?

Ah yes, the game Wednesday (Thursday morning right?), I`d be worried but I know your strikers will all injure themselves in bizarre accidents before the game even starts ;\)

I just have this sense that chelsea will meet AC milan in the final and Mr Crespo, who chelsea have cleared to play against them will score the winner.....

why would u pay half the guys wages for him to play at ac milan and then have him in great form and let him play against you.

The other thing i have to say about Chelsea is that Peter Kenyon keeps prattling on about making Chelsea a viable business.... i dont see it somehow, not even with their flash new sponsership deal with Samsung. Chelsea dont care how much money they waste. Crespo is a walking, living example of it. Bet u they offload parker for about half the amount they payed for him in the summer....

make it a viable business by stop paying everyone upwards of 50 grand a week with Lamps and Terry and who knows who else on 90 grand plus....

I hate living in a place a hour from the nearest bar that shows european football and the fact it starts at 3.00 in morning on a work day also sucks..... come on the pool!

It's amazing how fast Chelsea have become the generally most hated team. Looking at forums of different teams and general footie ones, it seems that it's not a jealousy thing either. Many hardcore fans would rather get there (or not) by hard work rather than huge never-ending amounts of money being thrown at their team. I know 2pints and other Chelsea fans will disagree, but there is a large contingent of Chelsea fans who are disillusioned and have mixed feelings about it all. Really.

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
It's amazing how fast Chelsea have become the generally most hated team. Looking at forums of different teams and general footie ones, it seems that it's not a jealousy thing either. Many hardcore fans would rather get there (or not) by hard work rather than huge never-ending amounts of money being thrown at their team. I know 2pints and other Chelsea fans will disagree, but there is a large contingent of Chelsea fans who are disillusioned and have mixed feelings about it all. Really.
Man U were always the most hated team, then Arsenal, now Chelsea. I take it as a complement. When we had the money and Ranieri but not quite getting the results no one minded. We`ve made some very good buys and have an absolutely excellent manager. Man U have spent a lot of money in recent years but haven`t spent as wisely, they don`t seem to be as hated anymore. Mourinho always makes sure he`s in the news not the players and Rumour Columns will always link any top class player to Chelsea if they`re running low on material. Both of which makes Chelsea seem a lot more overblown than it is. We have a great team many of whose players have been brought on significantly by their time at Chelsea. Makelele is the only player from the typical starting 11 that people would have been familiar with or rated highly just two years ago.

You're in the same bag as 2pints then - the approving enjoying the new success bunch.

The fact is, lots of traditional Chelsea fans are not anymore and rather disillusioned about it all - as well they should be. A few are my friends. (They're even eyeing up Spurs!!! Ha, not really just kidding!)

You're gonna get loaded with the "we live in the countryside in South Cuba but we are Chelsea fans" thing that ManYoo get a lot of.

But hey you're winning, so if you can look past the bullshit - ii desu ne!