The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we won thats the bottom line. And Beckham looked a bit better than he did before as well.

Owen was rubbish, don't you think?

lol.gif

A torrid night for Michael Owen ended in acrimony and farce when he was branded a "shoddy little guy" in the midst of a furious 15-minute tirade by Carlos Alberto, Azerbaijan's Brazilian coach.

"Before the game I saw him saying that, if Poland could beat Azerbaijan 8-0, he could score five goals himself," said an intense Carlos Alberto. "I'd like to tell this little guy that he should have some respect. I've been in football for 45 years. Who is Michael Owen? What has he won? The World Cup? OK, he plays for Real Madrid but he is on the bench every game and he does not have the right to say he will score five goals against us.

"He needs to clean his tongue and wash David Beckham's boots with it because they got rain on them tonight and that's all he's worth. He thinks he's the king but who is he? What is his history?"

As captain of Brazil's World Cup winning team in 1970, Carlos Alberto is entitled to question Owen's achievement but on this occasion it appears he misconstrued a simple remark from Owen.

"I know Michael well and he would never say anything like that," Sven- Goran Eriksson later said. "It's simply not his style. He might have said he hoped to score but this appears to be a misunderstanding."

Eriksson said he would try to put Carlos Alberto straight but he may have his work cut out. "I am sorry about my anger but he does not deserve a guy like me to be talking about him," said the losing manager. "Mr Eriksson is a gentleman and I will tell him to teach this shoddy little guy to respect everyone. To be a footballer first you have to be a man and he's not. I hope he respects his family but I don't know if he does. And I hope one day he plays in Real Madrid's starting line-up. He's a midget and I am not prepared to discuss him any longer."

His diatribe rounded off a thoroughly unsatisfactory evening for Owen who squandered more chances than he will care to remember and was booked for hand-ball, meaning he will be suspended from England's trip to Wales in September.

"Hopefully he saved his goal for more important games," said a sympathetic Eriksson. "It's a pity he won't be available in Wales but I hope it is not a huge problem. That apart, I am very pleased. We could have easily scored five or six but we created a lot of chances and that's very good."

Happy about Shearers decision, Wiggles-san?

I read on there as well there's gossip that Newcastle are hoping to get Owen. Not sure if that would be to your approval or not... \:\)

Anyone see the Newcastle game? Sounds like fun! It's on Sky tomorrow, I'll have to check that out. We can only hope for a weak Newcastle team for our FA game the way we're playing rubbish at the moment. \:\(

---

Newcastle team-mates Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer were sent off for fighting each other in an astonishing incident that means they will both miss the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United, as well as two Premiership games.

The pair clashed in the 81st minute, with their side 3-0 down to Aston Villa and already a man short, after Bowyer furiously demanded to know why his team-mate had not passed to him as he moved down the wing. They continued to argue as they closed in on each other before starting a brawl with the ball yards away.

Hey thanks, I'll be sure to give that a watch - will have to see first to say any more, but they sound like a pair of berks. Shearer must be fuming.

Good results over the weekend though \:\)

Anyone know where u can download the entire brawl with Bowyer and Dyer..... Bowyer should be sold , he is racist thug, and if it wasnt for football i reckon he would end up in jail. But Dyer, he is in great form, played great in his sub appearance against northern island and has the faith of the manager Souness.... had just last week apologised to Sir Bobby for being a prat when Bobby was in charge and now this......bad timing... i have checked uk nova for motd but not uploaded yet .

anyother places i might see the whole three rounds??????

http://hem.bredband.net/jenslindmark/bowyer_vs_dyer.mpg

Right click to save.

Another typical Newcastle shambles. It looks like they're trying to pin it all on Bowyer, the definite main culprit and kind of let it blow over so they can get Dyer back for cup semi. It's not a good time to be looking for sympathy for ill-discipline though, and it probably won't work.

I saw it, what a mess that was. Do we know what they were fighting about?

Anyway, big night tonight and an emotional one I'm sure, big significan match not just on the pitch. Come on Liverpool! clap.gif

The Sun, whilst sometimes amusing, are just a great big pile of steaming crap. How anyone actually spends money on that waste of paper is beyond me.

Interesting how Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool are all having keeper, ahem, issues. It will be interesting to see if those issues will be solved by the beginning of next season.

Looks like Jose`s going to get a pay rise to appease him. But this whole thing smacks of theatrics to keep Chelsea in the limelight.

An excellent article in the Guardian about the Bowyer Dyer fight and other things http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1453256,00.html

Good to see Liverpool do well in Europe again I hope we can follow suit tonight.

I see Chelsea won last night.

As for Jose, he's getting what is it 5.1 mill - more than any of the players. Is that a first in the modern era?

Chelsea are starting to annoy me.

;\)

Did you see the suns wonderful report today concentrating on the coaches wooly hat covering his ear. Was he hiding an earpiece? lol.gif

5.1 sure is a lot. Can you believe it to coach a footie team? wakaranai.gif ****!

I try not to think about details of what players get it would annoy me too much.

Jose must have phoned in with his expert advice for this game

"Just hoof it down the middle"

Drogba gets up pretty well though. Better than he first looks.

Drogba, don't talk to me about Drogba. I really am not keen on that guy. I'll give Robben his due, but Drogba. He gets up the field well some of the time when he's not diving and moaning, the moaning old so and so...

I've often wondered about this but I mean come on what effect do the managers actually have from the bench during a game. Hmm.