The Ultimate FOOTBALL Thread (04/05)

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Rooney will sign with Utd today (the manc version of course). After watching last nights miserable performance (again), can't help feeling what we really need is a midfield wizard or two. \:\(

rach -

IMPORTANT !!! Rooney transfer, the inside:

Wayne Rooney is expected to complete his move from Everton to United today in a deal worth up to £26m.

It is understood that the two clubs are currently negotiating over a number of bonus clauses which would see Everton receieve an initial fee of £20m payable in installments and further increments, yet to be decided for:

- Every time Rooney's Gran is quoted on Sky Sports News.

- Every time Rooney is referred to as 'Pele II' by the tabloids after scoring for England against Luxembourg.

- Every time overtly middle class newspapers discuss the relevance of Rooney as an icon for the new chav nation.

- Every time a fickle United fan calls him a 'Scouse bastard' for not beating eight men and cracking the ball into the top corner in a Champions League final.

- Every time his name is mentioned in the same sentence as that of Paul Gascoigne.

- Every time a national newspaper produces cut out and keep Rooney masks with golden ears.

- Every time some bint from Goldalming gives her son the first name 'Rooney' or calls her daughter 'Waynetta'.

- Every time Rooney gets his end away with someone other than his missus. Ever.

United have until midnight to finalise the deal.

lol.gif

Ludicrous isn't it? But they'll make it back and more. And more importantly, lets hope he becomes the player people think he can be. I'm not exactly mad on him, but if he comes up with the goods. Lets hope they just don't let him eat too many pies.

This is mixed up stuff:

Manchester United are to pay the football agent Paul Stretford up to £1.5m, the equivalent of over two years' wages for Wayne Rooney at Everton, for setting up the deal that saw the 18-year-old striker move to Old Trafford yesterday as the most expensive striker in English football.

As well as paying Everton a guaranteed £20m, rising to £27m depending on performance-related clauses, United's board has authorised what is understood to be the biggest payment ever received by an English-based agent.

The seven-figure sum banked by Stretford's Formation Group Plc, formerly ProActive Sports Management, shows how much money is being drained from the game at a time when the vast majority of professional clubs are in financial difficulty. It also means that, having recruited Louis Saha, Alan Smith and Gabriel Heinze, United have sanctioned payments in the region of £3.5m in agent fees since the turn of the year - more than Sir Alex Ferguson has earned himself.

Everton's anguish at losing their best player will be tempered by the cheque for £10m they received yesterday, with the same to follow on August 1 next year. They will also receive a £3m "contingency payment" if Rooney is still a United player in three years and a maximum £4m in performance-related top-ups.

For example, United will pay Everton £1m if they win the Champions League, £500,000 if they are runners-up. Winning the Premiership will cost them £500,000 and for finishing runners-up they will pay £250,000. An FA Cup success has been priced at £250,000 and another £1m will go Everton's way when Rooney has won 40 England caps. Should he sign a contract extension, Everton will receive £1.5m.

Rooney will therefore cost United a maximum of £27m, though Everton will also be entitled to 25% of any future profit on his sale. The Everton chairman Bill Kenwright has therefore effectively edged the deal as far as he could towards meeting the club's initial £30m of the England striker, now the most expensive teenager in world football.

In an attempt to prevent Stretford trying to sell Rooney again, so making even more money from his most prized client, United will reward his company with another £500,000 if Rooney honours his contract.

Rooney, who completed a medical at a private hospital in Cheshire yesterday morning, will join football's millionaires' row after signing a six-year contract that multiplies five-fold his wages of £13,000 a week at Goodison Park.

"It was a tough decision to leave Everton, the club I've supported and played for all my life, but I'm excited to be joining a club as big as Manchester United," he said in a prepared statement. "I feel this can only improve my career, playing with top players in top competitions like the Champions League, and I can't wait to meet up with the team."

Ferguson, who showed the striker around Old Trafford while the medical results were scrutinised, said: "I am very excited. I think we have got the best young player this country has seen in the past 30 years."

The mood at Old Trafford was in stark contrast to that at Goodison Park, with Formation confirming last night that Stretford had received death threats from supposed Everton supporters blaming him for Rooney's departure.

"Paul Stretford and his family have received a number of threats from misguided people purporting to be football fans," said a spokesperson. "The details have been passed to the police and we will cooperate fully with any investigation."

Everton's desperate attempts to strengthen their squad failed to yield any new personnel before last night's transfer deadline, leaving David Moyes contemplating the transfer window in January as the first opportunity he can spend Rooney's transfer money.

A belated move for Porto's South African international striker Benni McCarthy was scuppered when the Portuguese club changed their mind at the last moment.

has the beautiful game in England gone completely bonkers or what....... :rolleyes:

Eriksson: 'I won't lose any sleep'

Wednesday September 1, 2004

The Guardian

Sven-Goran Eriksson, as is his wont, did not appear unduly concerned yesterday by the prospect of a World Cup-winning manager angling for his job as the England squad met before the World Cup qualifiers against Austria and Poland.

"I'm not going to have sleepless nights," said the Swede when asked about Sir Clive Woodward's plans to swap football for rugby.

He added that Woodward would be welcome to attend England training sessions for coaching tips but that the job would not be vacant in the near future. "If it's one more person who wants my job, I suppose there are a lot of them. The only problem is that I have it until 2008.

"He's welcome to try. Everything is possible in life, so why not? I could give rugby a try."

Nuts, take a look at this

How the deal breaks down:

£1m if United win the Champions League

£500,000 if United are runners-up in the Champions League

£500,000 if United win the Premiership

£250,000 if United finish second in the Premiership

£150,000 if United win the FA Cup

£500,000 if Rooney earns 20 England caps in competitive games while a United player

£500,000 if Rooney plays a further 20 times for England in competitive games while a United player

Did you see that lovely soccer-ball-shaped hole that David James made for that "save attempt" in the game this morning?

Just about big enough for the ball to go through if the striker targeted just right and James timed it just right. And they did! Teamwork!

Well done James, nice one. mad.gif

Gerrards goal was a cracker though.

Sven said: "We played well enough to win the game. We played very well in the first half and controlled it completely.

Perhaps someone should tell him that football is "a game of two halves".

Get rid of him and James, starting to annoy me very much.

david james - crap. always has been always will be.

i reckon if the liverpool keeper was fit, chris kirkland, he'd be our number one. the guy seems to be darren andertons spiritual brother though, always injured.

This guy talks sense

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,1298023,00.html

It's almost as if they WANT England to lose on Wednesday, so they can get rid of Sven.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004411462,00.html

Funny headline in the Sun;

"IF David James is the answer, it must be a pretty stupid question."

lol.gif

But really. What a complete ****ing mess.

The games wasn't on here, but it doesn't sound like they were brilliant - hey the winning goal was an own goal. Good to see that James was dropped though, we'll have more of that.

I'm getting to the point where I just don't really care about internationals any more.

Don't usually agree with the likes of the sun and the people, but

"What did they expect (after the Austria game)? Purple prose, bouquets and kisses all round? Grow up lads."

Steven Howard, The Sun

"Their collective reluctance to talk will be regarded as petty and needlessly militant and there is no doubt that it lets down supporters."

Matt Dickinson, The Times

"They've just put in a fantastic performance, and showed a lot of guts and determination. All they have done now is behave like children and ensured also that some of the headlines on Thursday will be negative ones."

Oliver Holt, Daily Mirror

"It spoke volumes for their deluded, self-important belief that they are celebrities beyond criticism."

Jeff Powell, Daily Mail

"If they want to go on the counter-attack with the media, I think that's a good thing. There should be more of a dialogue between journalists and players and I would welcome the opportunity to have a debate with them about what they feel has been in the newspapers this week."

Paul Hayward, Daily Telegraph

"It is petulant and childish. I can understand why they're upset but the press are a link between the fans and the players. That's an issue they haven't seen or haven't had the wisdom to perceive."

Paul McCarthy, The People