• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by BagOfCrisps:
Bad news for you there scouser.

He has played for the last time in a scouse uniform, perhaps?? shifty.gif
eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif do u see him suddenly anouncing his retirement or something!?!?! eek.gif No way, and him getting injured could be a great way for the new signings to get blooded. with a bit of luck though.... i think key players getting injured can often be a good thing for a club if it comes at the right time of a season. e.g. arsenal now suddenly have an exciting new young talent as back-up for viera instead of a 17 year old nobody.

No, I don't think thats what BofC is meaning.

I think what he probably means that there is the chance of Stevie leaving Liverpool in the winter to pastures new. He was sorely tempted by Chelsea over summer, etc etc. It could well happen, even though I would be well not happy if it did.

Read this one scouser?

----

Bemused Owen in the middle of Madrid storm

Thursday September 23, 2004

The Guardian

A humiliating Champions League debut seen from the bench, a dressing-room revolt, and a manager who walked after just four matches, to be replaced by the goalkeeping coach. Michael Owen must be wondering what he has let himself in for. And that despite almost certainly being unaware of his own central role in events that, with admirable restraint, he describes as "strange".

If only David Beckham, or even Steve McManaman, had warned him. For, while José Antonio Camacho lost the players, much of Madrid's ills, including fractious relations, have far deeper roots - the product of a presidential policy obsessed with marketing, trained only on the galácticos . One that, unbeknownst to him, made Owen, the latest star-signing, the eye of the storm.

Two defeats hardly constitute a full-on crisis, but such reverses as that dished out by Bayer Leverkusen are not new; and neither are the circumstances that sparked Camacho's resignation. "My team-mates assured me that it's not always like this," Owen said. He should treat such information with caution.

After all, there have been uprisings before and last season Madrid - the white angels, the loudly self-proclaimed greatest club in the world - won nothing at all (and registered a club-record-five successive defeats). And while president Florentino Pérez leapt eagerly upon Carlos Queiroz for a scapegoat, his autocratic model was pernicious and Madrid's problems profound.

A bruising club legend, Camacho was central to Pérez's summer election campaign, his brilliantly engineered political saviour, the man who would impose discipline and bring down the capricious, bloated superstar image that infuriated fans. A culture that spawned white hankies, jeers and even last season an indiscriminate 30-foot banner reading: "For you, whores and money, for us indignation." But, handily for Pérez, it was one that shifted attention to players and coach.

He said it couldn't happen with Camacho. But despite apparent changes, the internal circumstances have repeated themselves. Camacho represented Madrid's PR-driven managerial ideal type. But the model has changed four times in three years: from the understated, old-school psychology of Vicente Del Bosque, to the modernity, low profile and worldly charm of Queiroz, to the raw tub-thumping of Camacho, and now, with Mariano García Rem ón, back to Del Bosque, moustache and all.

Camacho was never likely to succeed, too blunt, too domineering to win over a dressing room used to power. Nonetheless, the player power influence needs some deflating, even if it was the detonator this time; it is but a product of the unique way Madrid is run and Camacho's relationship with Pérez was little better.

Already a difficult environment to enter, harder still to withstand, Madrid was more complicated by Owen's arrival. Another superstar, yet different this time; even Pérez didn't seem as enamoured as usual. He had turned him down earlier, but would never - never, never, never - let a summer pass without the obligatory galáctico, returning to the Liverpool striker as other doors closed.

Compensation came with the price, just £8m, a Ballon d'Or , and his nationality; Beckham had shown Madrid how lucrative the English market could be. A deal with BP followed.

But if Pérez wasn't totally convinced, Camacho, who wanted Patrick Vieira, was even less so. It wasn't that he didn't rate Owen, but he couldn't find him a place. How could he drop Ronaldo or Raúl? And he'd promised Fernando Morientes time on the pitch. It dawned on Camacho, a man who demands control, that apparent change was illusory; like Queiroz and Del Bosque, his hands were tied. From all sides.

Previous galácticos had roles to play; Owen's arrival posed a threat to Madrid's core - to their captain Raúl and existing stars - bringing to the boil simmering discontent. It is emphatically not about Owen personally or professionally, however, but what he represents. And with his linguistic limitations, the new boy was both blameless and surely ignorant of his centrality. "Obviously I don't know all their conversations because of the language problem," he admits.

Some senior foreign players were irritated that Owen remained a sub while Raúl continued to perform poorly, but when the Englishman immediately leapfrogged the eternally shunted Morientes in the substitutes' queue and then, against Espanyol, replaced the captain, the touchpaper was truly lit.

Camacho was accused by a faction comprising Guti, Raúl and Morientes of bowing to media and marketing pressure. And when the coach discovered they had run to Pérez, who did not defend him, he walked, lamenting that until culture and priorities change Madrid will ever be thus. The news that Adidas had complained about Beckham being dropped merely confirmed Camacho's belief - and illustrated just what Michael Owen has walked into. Welcome to Real Madrid.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
No, I don't think thats what BofC is meaning.

I think what he probably means that there is the chance of Stevie leaving Liverpool in the winter to pastures new. He was sorely tempted by Chelsea over summer, etc etc. It could well happen, even though I would be well not happy if it did.
Got that ;\) just can`t see it happening - after coming so close and deciding against it, don`t reckon he`d change his mind only a few months later. Plus not sure anyone would front the cash for him. Chelsea have closed shop for the season (according to Mourinho) . Man U have spent their cash on Rooney, Arsenal maybe but don`t reckon viera or anyone else will be moving to Real in a hurry! + Gerrard thinks he`ll be back in November http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_126904.shtml

You tend to believe football players and managers connakers?? I'd give up on that if I were you.. ;\)

Before he made the decision, Owen was still at Liverpool talking about signing another extension. Apart from the fact that he (Gerrard) was very - publicly - tempted in the first place. Man U didn't have the cash for Rooney apparently, but look - and saying that "there will be no more transfers" just 1 week before signing him - where he is now? Fergie apparently said he just could not give up the chance to sign someone like Rooney. Gerrard is the same kind of player.

Anyway, I hope he doesn't move of course! Just think there is a chance it will happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by scouser:
You tend to believe football players and managers connakers?? I'd give up on that if I were you.. ;\)

lol.gif Fair enough! Just think that Gerrard must have decided to stay because he reckons Benitez can do something with Liverpool. To cop out at the mid-way stage of his first season would not be giving him a chance.

Sure there`s still the possibility of a club poaching him, but unless gerrard`s REALLY f-ed of with it all it`s in his interests to wait till the end of the season, see how liverpool progress and wait for a few more clubs to be in a position to buy.

I reckon he's pissed at Owen for buggering off after he had decided to stay. Remember, there was not even a whiff of Owen moving when the Gerrard/Chelsea thing was doing the rounds. I loved the look on his face at that press conference he did to assert how "happy" he was. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Whos getting frustrated now? Ha, lots of pool fans getting a bit of a kick from this right now:

IT'S TOUGH AT REAL MADRID

Sep 26 2004

-Becks: Fergie wouldn't last here

-Owen: I'm trying too hard

MICHAEL OWEN and David Beckham have revealed their turmoil at Real Madrid.

The pair opened their heart to Sunday Mirror Sport about the crisis that has engulfed them in Spain.

Owen said: "Sometimes I may be trying too hard because I'm desperate to impress."

The England star signed for Real for 」9million last month from Liverpool.

But he has started only one competitive game and that was the 1-0 league defeat at Espanyol. Real are in chaos after the resignation of coach Jose Antonio Camacho and Owen is battling to make an impression.

Beckham has at least scored twice from brilliant free-kicks.

But even he admitted how tough his football life is in Spain by saying: "I don't know if Sir Alex Ferguson would have lasted 18 years here."

Owen, who must now be fearing for his England place, added: "It's hardly been the ideal start to the season for the team and for me trying to break into the side. It's a Catch-22 for me. I need more time to make my mark but in order to get more time I need to do something impressive.

"It's frustrating. We were 1-0 up when I came on against Osasuna and although I should have run into the corner flag to waste time I tried beating a man because I was so eager to do well.

"But when you get 10 or 15 minutes it's not long enough to try to do something in the game."

Owen suffered a further setback on Friday when he had to withdraw from the squad to play in last night's match at Athletic Bilbao because of a thigh strain, although he should be ready for this week's crucial Champions League match against AS Roma. Camacho decided to quit just three games into the season, saying he felt he was incapable of getting the best out of Real's Galactico superstars.

His assistant Mariano Garcio Remon has taken over and Owen admitted: "It's been a confusing week, very strange, but everyone assures me it's not the norm.

"I can't read the press or listen to what the people say so I don't know that much myself, but it's disappointing the manager's left so early and I'm sure nobody wanted it to be like that.

"I was shocked and surprised by his decision. I don't know the reasons for it but I was very surprised when he did leave.

"It's a strange feeling when the manager goes. I've not been involved in too many managerial changes in my career, especially after just three games.

"But you've got to respect his decision. I don't know what his reasons were, but you've got to move on - football is like that."

Owen is now praying his chances of winning a place alongside Ronaldo in the Real attack will not be undermined by the change of coach.

"I'd hate to think I had to leave it in someone else's hands. Every moment of my career I've wanted it to be down to me to be good enough to get into a side or not.

"I don't want favours or anything like that off anyone. Regardless of who the manager is, I want to play well and get in the team on merit."

Champions League is a ripoff - 1800 yen per month, regardless of how many games there are on in a month. I regret not having it on the day of a game, but there's not that many of them!

If they had another option for 500 yen a game PPV or something like that it would make much more sense.

Wow, a hat-trick on his debut. In the Champions League. Not bad.

"Even by Wayne Rooney's standards of defying all reasonable expectations his first appearance for Manchester United will go down in the club's annals, without fear of exaggeration, as the most impressive debut that Old Trafford has ever witnessed.

Every time Rooney took possession he shimmered with menace. Totally undaunted by the occasion (did we expect anything else?) his performance was of a man - sorry, teenager - intent on making a lasting impression after three months on the sidelines.

He showed anticipation, courage, immaculate control and his goals were exquisite. First when Van Nistelrooy's through ball dissected the visiting defence and his instinctive left-foot shot soared into the net. Then, even more impressively, when he picked up the ball and, unfazed by the proximity of several defenders, drove a magnificent shot beyond Recber. Left foot, right foot - it does not matter to Rooney."

Well, we lost. Bugger.

But I bring you good news rach. The United game is repeated on Sky Sports 3 on Friday:

マンチェスターU vs フェネルバフチェ

再放送

10月1日 (金) 再放送

22:00 Ch.308

J SPORTS 3

So you'll be able to see the bluescouser do his stuff.

What a ****ing amazing night that was. Just got in from a night out celebrating after the game . Er, its 4am here.

We have something very special here. First game back for a while, new to the team and so forth. What a performance. Old Trafford was electric.

Can't wait to play ArseNal

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif hic