Things you noticed when you went back home this summer / Good stories

I noticed how the UK was getting even more expensive, especially things like eating out. It costs a fortune and I'm sure I didn't feell like that 10 years ago.

Also increasing size of people, getting a bit of a blubber crisis over there more and more. Along with that, I really notice how people eat much more "stodge" without all the veggies etc than generally back in Japan. Delicious but stodge so you're bound to get fat!

I had a great time, family, friends, wedding (not mine), some shopping. Rushed off my feet, hardly any time to sit back which was a shame. But enjoyed it.

At the same time, glad to be back in a way - get back to "my lifestyle".

More and more how the 2 lifes (the one in Japan, the one where my family) are so different. When I'm in one it is as if the other is a dream or not real somehow. Hard to explain what I'm thinking here. Y'know what I mean, like?

**** I hope not!

I didn't go home this summer because its god danm winter and that would be stupid!

But what I do realise is that life is much more cruizier there, while cash maybe less, lifestyle is richer..

I'm really anxious to get back to the states and see my friends and family next week. I'm out of Japan for good, but it's been a fun run. My job is just so much different than a lot of yours. I haven't had the time to travel back home like a lot of people.

thanks for the reply. I really was just curious. \:\)

gg, I know exactly what you mean. It can be intensely disorientating. I often wake up in the middle of the night when I'm in England and have a seriously difficult time figuring out where I am and what the deal is. And when I sit in my parents' kitchen playing "Word Making and Word Taking" (a truly vicious game) with my father, it seems like there never was a house, family, job, and life in Japan.

Didn't go home but my cousin came here accompanying his 12 year old son's soccer team. Poor boys had to play in the middle of the day-slight temp adjustment from the NZ winter. I showed my cousin around the center of Osaka and he came over to my house for lunch one day-he really enjoyed being able to just chill. The kids were billited out and had fun, while the adults were happy to be staying in a hotel cause communication was difficult.

On Saturday night I took a bunch of the adults to a pub to watch NZ get their ass kicked by SA in the rugby. We had a good time anyway and they were pleased to have a break from the well meaning yet overmanaged hospitality of their hosts. Their impression of Japan was of a somewhat uptight and overly formal society, but I think the inability to communicate contributes a lot to this. They also found it way over regulated and were astounded at the training regimines of the Japanese soccer teams-NZ kids have a lot more free time to pursue other interests.

One funny example of differences in cross-cultural behaviour came when they went to a big outdoor pool with the kids after some games. They found the whole get out and exercise on the hour thing completely bizzare. Of course the kids were also contantly in trouble for jumping into the pool and ummm...having fun in ways that do not annoy lifeguards back home. Two of the tallest older looking 12 year old boys were nampa-ed by what my cousin described as "very forward 18 year old girls in bikinis" so it wasn't all bad.

Generally they had a good time but they found Japan to be very different and were happy to be heading home. I don't really find much about Japan exotic anymore so it was interesting to share the first impressions of others-very cool to spend some time with a relative as well.

It's a fairly regular schools based exchange so Japanese teams get to go and play in NZ. The activities they arrange for their guests on the flipside couldn't be more different-jetboating instead of looking around temples lol.gif

I haven't been home the whole time I have been in Japan, so I am really looking forward to getting home to see my friends and family in five weeks time. I bet it will soon seem like I never in lived in Japan when I am back in Australia. Excpet for when I let out the odd automatic sumimasen or gomen nasai in public!

We had some good fun with the relatives too.

I went to look at the dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum with my bruvver-in-law and H11's half-cousins. Much prehistoric excitement was had.

Then H11 met his other cousin, Juicy Julia, aged 3, who said "Who is that boy? I don't want him near me" then proceded to pester him constantly and follow him around everywhere.

H11 enjoyed talking about overweight English people in Japanese. We also misidentified quite a few Chinese people as Japanese, which suggests that Chinese fashion sense is catching up a bit.

I had a really strange, but extremely pleasant, experience travelling back home for 2 weeks in July.

I felt so detached from society both in Australia and then when I came back to Japan as well. Sometimes I guess it feels like you are detached as a foreigner anyway here ... Anyway, it was just so strange, but nice at the same time, to be at home in a decent sized house, close to the beach, with a car at my disposal, and to eat some real meat.

It is hard to describe these feelings in words but it is like your other life at home disappears into irrelevance when you are in Japan and vice versa when you are at home. I guess this is just the reality of leaving your real "home" and trying to make a new "home" in a foreign country.

Do the veterans feel this as well or is it something you adapt to after a few more trips home?

woywoy, he didn't really before he went, but he's trying his lil heart out now.

As for your other question, the more you realize how far things have gone, the odder it gets, for me anyway.

The Sunday Times could last a week.

I notice the traditions prices up, as well as generally more litter everywhere again that really gets me worked up (apart from in my town which is really bucking its ideas up of late, happy to report)

I, well, rather my friends noticed that I nod my head a little too often (mysteriously like a Japanese might do). I also give little bows to other drivers rather than the local style which is to extend your pinky and thumb (aka "hang loose" sign). I also found myself slightly irritated that not one worker shouted "irrashaimase" at the several bars, restaurants or retail shops I visited. Hhhhmmm, i think i've been in japan too long! \:\)

Loads of really fat people, particularly young women, and food portions everywhere that are too big to finish. There's a lot to be said for the feeling of wanting more. I wanted to try some of the cheesecake in Waitrose, but one portion would have been a complete meal and I didn't want to throw half of it away.

But the quality of the food available is also much higher now which is nice if you can discipline yourself not to eat too much of it. I did better this time.

Just got back from a 2 week stint in OZ. Took a group of young kids (8 & 9 yrs.) and they had a ball.

THEY Didn't want to come home.

Visited primary schools there and made me realize how stifling the whole education process is here, even when well intentioned programs are put in place.

The relaxed friendly casual atmosphere of the schools (we visited), coupled with huge flexibility, broad curriculum and great facilities created longing sighs from the 2 mums with us.

And いいな's from the kids.

Kindov a general reflection on Aussie life.

And I realize I also miss being able to walk into any one of a multitude of cafes in the morn and order a glass of red, chosen from dozens to accompany my latte & foccacia. \:\)

Another thing I notice is how crappy service really can be - the old walking into a shop and the assitants looking at you as if to say what the fck you want matey? mad.gif Not always, but definitely more than you get here. I much prefer the ladies in nice uniforms even if they do sometimes have squeaky voices.

Many positive things though, don't get me wrong \:\)